SAU Community

Gt-r Compliance

gtrtech

Hi everyone,

Looking at purchasing a '89 GT-R (R-32) that has not been complied yet.

It has HKS BOV's and a cat back exhaust as well as 18 inch wheels. These I'm presuming will all need to be changed for compliance? Seatbelts as well?

Any suggestions on who's best in Adelaide for compliance?

Good workshop to check car over. Compression test, etc as well as checking underside of car.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

The car will pretty much have to be returned to stock form to get through Regency. Your BOV will have to come off, source some stock 16" rims, the exhaust would be fine as long as it still has the cat converter, and is below 90dB at 4000rpm.

Then all the other things have to be done, like child restraints, fuel filler changed, flat side mirrors (or less than 1.2m curvature if convex), high rear brake light, seat belts should be fine as long as they're not frayed.

Theres more things that need to be done, those were just off the top of my head as my GT-R is going through Regency next Tuesday so I've been double checking everything before then.

A few of my mates had their cars complied at Best Enterprises, I think theyre around Wingfield way, just off Cavan Rd or something.

:(

Thanks for that.

Do you know if the wheels have to be standard or just standard size?

I will have to probably source the exhaust as well, what have you done with yours.

I think you have a similar thread running as well.

Cheers

if its an 89 model...compliance isnt like a sevs compliance? dont know about SA rules...but for mine here in sydney..all needed was seatbelt's ADR approved lap sash, child restraints fitted, side impact bars for doors, and pass blue slip.

The laws in Sa different to NSW?

The car was bought on the "15 Year" rule.

Not sure what bearing this has on compliance rules in SA.

Anyone got a direct link to the relevant SA gov. dept?

More info needed guys.

Cheers

Edited by gtrtech

15 year compliance is cheaper than SEVS, and can be done at heaps more workshops than SEVS cars. If the GT-R was SEVS it would have to be complied interstate as far as I know as no workshops here have become a RAW for the R32 GT-R yet.

I'm not sure if you need the actual factory rims, perhaps just the same size? Someone know about this? Luckily my car came with the factory rims. I'm sure most compliance workshops would keep some stock rims lying around.

I got my exhaust swapped over to a stock one by Mark at Exhaust Technology, 253 Goodwood Rd Kings Park. 8272 7500. He's a great bloke can measure how loud your current set-up is, and if its over he can swap it over to a stock system, he keeps them specifically for us guys going through Regency. He'll hold your system til you get through and then swap it back afterwards.

Anymore questions I'll be happy to tell you what I can! B)

Thanks again.

I'll give Mark a call. It's not that loud but I'm sure that it would still be over.

I really need someone with knowledge off GT-R's to check it out.

The car is not what you call spotless so I want to make sure it mechanically OK before I do anything anyway.

Boostworx seem to have pretty good reputation, what are they like with GT-R's?

Don't suppose you want to swap wheels for a while? :P

It's also got a non-standard front bar - problem?

post-2524-1137918731.jpg

Thought these might be of some use to you. I got it from Regency, just outlines what need to be done to the car for compliance.

compliance1.jpg

compliance2.jpg

I'm a massive newbie on GT-Rs as well, but I know Keir Wilson at Willall Racing has the fastest non-Japanese GT-R on street radials. So maybe talk to him? But I have also heard good things about Boostworx.

I dont think aftermarket front bumper should be a problem, as long as its no lower that 10 cm off the ground at the lowest point. (I think this is the right measurement?)

Let me know when your ready to put the car through, and I should be able to lend you my wheels, no worries :P

gday mate

what ya need to do mate is find a workshop that complies 15yo cars and they should take care of everthing for ya. i hav an 32gtr aswel but i didnt have it complied. my brother has just brought a 1990 jza70 supra and is in the same boat as you, needing compliance.

i kno of a couple workshops:

import complance centre(next to import spares) on sleaford road, winsor gardens

pvp imports, muller road, hamsted gradens

best enterprise, dry creek

there are heaps more out there mate. i guess just ring a couple and suss out some prices they will do for ya. good luck with it all!

james

Edited by Turbz_13

Thanks for that James.

Compliance is second in line. I need to have the car looked over mechanically and structally before I purchase.

Emailed Boostworx and Willall about checking car out. Still haven't heard back as yet.

Any other workshops with GT-R knowledge worth trying?

Cheers

Geoff

18" wheels can go through Regency under the 15 year rule as long as they don't rub/touch any part of the car (guards, strut arms etc) in any position ie at full lock in either direction and anywhere in between. My GTR went tthrough with 18" BBS rims on it.

18" wheels can go through Regency under the 15 year rule as long as they don't rub/touch any part of the car (guards, strut arms etc) in any position ie at full lock in either direction and anywhere in between.  My GTR went tthrough with 18" BBS rims on it.

When did your car go through? Any rules changed since then?

I have a spare VR4 one you can borrow (AFAIK it's the same as the GTR - anyone know any different?). If someone can confirm it will fit, PM me and I will organise getting it to you somehow.

EDIT: If you need two, you can borrow the one off my car too, but you'll have to wait until mine goes through regency, unless your regency date is before mine.

Edited by doommachine

• 3 weeks later...

if you need anything like standard intercooler, computer, turbos, dump pipes,back to cat let me know as they are sitting in my shed doing nothing, prefer to sell though,{ which im trying to do{make an offer{ you never know i might say yes}}} by the way make sure its the orig twin blow of valve, and possibly talk to mark at tilbrooks . he is easy to get hold of. peter is now only available through other mechanics as he has got to busy and is mainly a one man show.{cant do all the skylines in sa}