SAU Community

Private Medical Insurance

saff_cossie

Hey all

Just wondering who has Private Medical Insurance on here and those who do, do you mind saying what you pay for what you get?

I have ambulance cover but have no idea where to start looking or what is a good and bad price.

I have a medicare card but thats it. More and more people mention it and I am now a bit paranoid about not having it for fear of having to recieve treatment if I come off my bike etc and have to shell out 000's.

I am a 25 year old male with good medical history so if someone can give me the low down on what I should be paying or even any websites, it would be very much appreicated.

Thanks in advance. B)

Okay,

I have Private Medical Insurance but basically have gone for the cheapest cover I could find (Medibank Private)

Why ??? -well I would have to pay extra tax if I didn't have it and personally I want to make sure I'm in the 'system' when I need to upgrade my cover in later life.

Basically the way it works now is that you will have to pay extra premiums if you join Private Health Insurance later in life - think of it as a 'no claims' discount.

Anyhow I reckon we are more then likely heading down the road to an American style Healthcare system so I am just making sure ;-)

Cost for a 36 year old non-smoker is about $80 per month.

Hope this helps....

Excellent, thanks mate. Does that entitle you to everything or do you have a breakdown of what that covers you for by any chance?

I am not used to paying anything for medical treatment and heavilly subsidised dental from the UK so currently go back once a year for a check up to stay on the records there.

Excellent, thanks mate. Does that entitle you to everything or do you have a breakdown of what that covers you for by any chance?

I am not used to paying anything for medical treatment and heavilly subsidised dental from the UK so currently go back once a year for a check up to stay on the records there.

Doesn't cover much.

I get choice of doctor in emergencies and small rebates for most doctors stuff (though not much dental)

I still use a 'bulk billing' doctor for most of my general medical things (Cold and flu, get a medical certificate for work etc)

So realistically I don't get very much back from them at the end of the day ;)

As I said I mainly do it for 'future proofing' and because I'd just have to pay extra tax

Thanks Funky too. From what I gather, I think hospital would be a good option to have included especially as I would say most of the things that I would go to the doctor or require treatment for will involve hospitalisation :(

Yeah I've been lucky in that I haven't been hospitalised in the last 10 years or so of my life. The way I figure, rather than paying for something I'll never use, I'll just pay when I do use. Most public hospital bills aren't that large, and I don't have any medical conditions that will require immediate hospitalisation (emergency/trauma excluded, but there's usually no waiting for that even at public hospitals).

I'm currently with Medibank Private too.

I've got Smart Choice Extras Level 2 with Super Extras.

http://www.medibank.com.au/productandservi...icehospital.asp

http://www.medibank.com.au/productandservi...hoiceextras.asp

I pay about $240 a quarter but after 2004, I totally believe in this system. I never used to think it was worth it but I had a collapsed lung in 2004 and spent 2 weekends in hospital. After all the surgery, anesthetistic, hospital fees and everything else, I was about $300 out of pocket. Keeping in mind the Epworth charges $800 a day for non covered paitents, I think I got a damn good deal.

I have to have my wisdom teeth out at the end of Feb too so I'm all paid up.

Defiantely worth the investment. Also, if you don't have PHI after turning 30, you will have to pay an extra premium every year you don't get it.

Since I'm in the hospital trade i'll give you a tip :D

Get the cheapest medical insurance you can that will save you save on your tax (medicare rebate) from a hospital point of view.

DEFINATELY get ambulance cover, either as part of your insurance or seperately through the ambulance service. An ambulance trip will cost you $$$ like youwouldn't believe.

HOSPITAL COVER - you really don't need it if you're young. Face it; if you get very ill, you will be looked after at a public hospital with the best care available. So what if you don't get a private room and silver service? I figure, if you're <50 and need to be in hospital, it's going to be for a pretty good reason, and you probably won't care about the lack of carpet on the floor.

i.e. - do NOT waste your money on private hospital cover. Waste it on your car! When you're older and can afford your Audi A8/BMW 7 series, and you've got two well-groomed poodles on the back seat and your hip starts playing up after 9 holes of golf, then yes, it might be time to look for private hospital cover :(

ANCILLARY COVER - up to you. If you have glasses/contacts, use a physio/chiro regularly, need some dental work done... well worth even going the next step up from "basic" cover, as you get more back in rebates.

There are a few websites that are very good at comparing policies, and will spit out a few options for you after taking a few details:

www.iselect.com.au and

www.medicalpoint.com.au/healthinsurance.asp

Edited by Beeble

Great stuff guys, thank you. :D

To be honest I dont think I need much more than hospital cover (peace of mind), maybe some eye surgery cover and dental.

I have only spent 1 night in hospital since birth so dont class myself as a high risk.

The whole idea in my opinion is just to get it for peace of mind so I am happy to pay the minimum for what I need.

Good websites as well guys :(

We have Medibank as a client and are redoing their brochures at the moment (well I'm not... but our finished artist is ha ha!) I have worked on their product brochures a number of times and yet still have not read a single one! Even though I have them all in my folio... he he so lazy... oh and I dont have any form of private health insurance either... (the way they word and then reword every sentence to cover themselves from liability is frightening)...

so yeah if I get injured get out of my way cos I'm driving myself to the nearest and cheapest hospital lol

Get the cheapest medical insurance you can that will save you save on your tax (medicare rebate) from a hospital point of view.

Sounds about right. My yearly hba cost is slightly less than what the medicare junk would be at tax time, and I get the benefit of some rebates when I goto the dentist etc.

Ambo membership however? That is worth it's weight in GOLD! (Well maybe the weight of an ambulance, since the card ain't much hehe)

Only like ~$50 a year, every hoon should have it :(

Sounds about right. My yearly hba cost is slightly less than what the medicare junk would be at tax time, and I get the benefit of some rebates when I goto the dentist etc.

Ambo membership however? That is worth it's weight in GOLD! (Well maybe the weight of an ambulance, since the card ain't much hehe)

Only like ~$50 a year, every hoon should have it  :(

Do you mind giving a few more details mate like price and/or policy details? PM if you prefer. Dental is something I am keen to have. Have Ambulance cover seperately which is around that price. B)

Keep in mind that if you earn over $50K and are single you get slugged with an extra 1% Medicare surcharge per year (ie $500 +) if you don't have private health insurance, so you might as well spend at least that much on a policy.

Edit: just checked in it's also $100K+ for families, depending on the the number of children.

Edited by SteveL

Keep in mind that if you earn over $50K and are single you get slugged with an extra 1% Medicare surcharge per year (ie $500 +) if you don't have private health insurance, so you might as well spend at least that much on a policy.

Edit: just checked in it's also $100K+ for families, depending on the the number of children.

Sorry for sounding an idiot but is this only if I make a claim through medicare or is taken as part of my tax (i.e a slightly higher tax bracket to cover that 1%).

Dave - Thanks for the PM B)

Sorry for sounding an idiot but is this only if I make a claim through medicare or is taken as part of my tax (i.e a slightly higher tax bracket to cover that 1%).

It's nothing to do with making claims, but is based purely on your income as worked out from your tax return at the end of the FY. If you earn $50K+, are single and have no private health insurance, the ATO will slap on a 1% surcharge as your personal contribution to the cost of running the public hospital system........

There's probably a pro-rata system for part-year coverage.

i have Private Health Insurance under my parent as a family, and ive already made up for what it would have cost me to get my teeth fixed.

I believe it is very good, but you also have to remember you have work cover (well should have) so thats where your more likely to get injured if anything.

i have Private Health Insurance under my parent as a family, and ive already made up for what it would have cost me to get my teeth fixed.

I believe it is very good, but you also have to remember you have work cover (well should have) so thats where your more likely to get injured if anything.

ARGH! Dont mention that term! :lol: "workcover" Try working in the truck industry and find some honest drivers who do not want to milk the system. We have a dedicated employee to cover them all and believe me, our company and site is so anal about work safety, you have to go out of your way to have an accident! We even have people having injuries at home and coming into work and merely, twisting the knob of a door handle and putting their wrist out! :D

Sorry, rant over :lol:

Mine would most likely be out of work as the only thing I am likely to do at work, assuming I can avoid the B-Doubles in the yard, is go blind from looking at a computer monitor all day :lol: