SAU Community

Need Help

Hi People

I really need help. I went to pump petrol, got out of the car filled up $40 came back and it wouldn't start. My car has been sitting at the petrol sation now for 3 whole days and it's not firing. The engine turns over the fuelpump prims and then nothing. I've changed the ignition module on top of the rocket cover and nothing. I've checked the coil packs and nothing. The problem is that the coil packs arn't firing at all and that's why it's not starting.

I've checked the coil packs and there is a small pulse going to them but apparently it's a positive pulse and it needs a negative or some shit. The sparky had a look at it and i really don't think he knows what he's doin. He told me to get the ignition module and that didn't do anything and now he's telling me to get a new ECU.

The car's got split fire coils and has a microtech ltx12 as well as the standard computer.

So if some one can help me that would be really great.

Cheers

anthony

If it were a stock engine and ECU the next thing to check after the ignition module is the Crank Angle Sensor (CAS) which is on the front timing cover. This tells the ECU when to fire the injectors and the ignition. Your symptoms might suggest the CAS has failed in your case, but since you have an aftermarket system it could also be related to that. You should check the error codes on the ECU if that's still possible.

If it were a stock engine and ECU the next thing to check after the ignition module is the Crank Angle Sensor (CAS) which is on the front timing cover.  This tells the ECU when to fire the injectors and the ignition.  Your symptoms might suggest the CAS has failed in your case, but since you have an aftermarket system it could also be related to that.  You should check the error codes on the ECU if that's still possible.

How fo go i check the CAS??

i took it off and turned it and it started making clicking noises in the engine bay. is does that means that it's working??

Cheers

anthyony

Clicking noises are probably injectors, which suggests that side of things is OK (assuming fuel is actually getting to the injectors). CAS also controls ignition. Best way to check is to swap for a known good one.

It could also be something related to the microtech wiring....you say you have that + a standard ecu which seems a little strange to me, but then I've never used m/tech equipment.....

Clicking noises are probably injectors, which suggests that side of things is OK (assuming fuel is actually getting to the injectors).  CAS also controls ignition.  Best way to check is to swap for a known good one. 

It could also be something related to the microtech wiring....you say you have that + a standard ecu which seems a little strange to me, but then I've never used m/tech equipment.....

Fuel is definatly gettin to the injectors cause we checked the pressure in the lines when the ignition was on.

The microtec looks after fuel and ignition and the standard looks after everything else. . Or so i think.

Cheers

anthony

Does it sound like it wants to fire? Or is the engine simply spinning over? Does the LTX tell you anything that is happening?

Some things to try:

1. Disconnect the fuel line (return line probably best) and have a container to catch any fuel.

2. Prime the engine. Do you get fuel?

3. If "Yes", crank engine. Fuel still?

If "Yes", then clearly fuel side is working. Re-connect fuel line.

4. Use a screwdriver as a stethoscope to listen to the injectors while cranking.

5. Lift coil pack #1 from the spark plug, insert a standard spark plug lead between coil and plug, connect timing light.

6. Crank engine. Timing light strobes?

7. Failing that, pull #1 plug as well, and assemble the coil / plug and observe if the plug sparks while cranking.

8. Check the earth connection for the ignitor module.

All this cranking, it's quite probable the engine has flooded. You might have to pull all the plugs and clean them up.

Hi

The fuel side is definatly working we can hear the injectors and we took the line out and petrol went every where when we primed the car.

We checked the spark by taking out one of the coil packs and putting it against a screw driver and no spark we tried this on 3 different coil packs and still nothing. We changed the coil packs and still nothing. I'm going insane.

Cheers

anthony

Hi

The fuel side is definatly working we can hear the injectors and we took the line out and petrol went every where when we primed the car.

We checked the spark by taking out one of the coil packs and putting it against a screw driver and no spark we tried this on 3 different coil packs and still nothing. We changed the coil packs and still nothing. I'm going insane.

Cheers

anthony

How about you go to Repco and buy a $14 HEI spark tester and do it properly...a screw driver can still mislead you.

Hi peoples

Well it's all fixed. it actually was the ignitor.

what are the chances of me getting a dud from the the wreckers. I couldent believe it when i took it to my tuner and he checked everything and said it's your ignitor i told him that it couldn't be cause i got another one from the wereckers. so we tested my ignitor on another r32 and it wouldn't start. so i went out and baught another one for $150 and she works like a charm.

Anyways went back to the wreckers today to return the ignitor cause it wasn't working and he basically told me to go and get fu*d he said that there's somthing wrong with my car and that's why it wasn't working anymore. Oh well what can you do i guess. Thanks for all the ideas guys. Always helpfull

Cheers

anthony