SAU Community

Oil Test

YLD-CHLD

Just finished reading an article in a commodore magazine that run a test on most of the leading motor oils & the results were a bit shocking.They used a Falex Lubricity tester which is an industry standard for testing oils.By far the best performer for the money was the Valvoline Durablend it outperformed Motul,Shell Ultra & Mobil.

Has anyone used this stuff in there RB.I'm currently running the Shell Ultra but after what i have just read & seen I would prefer to use the Valvoline?

The one thing that stood out in this test was the more you pay doesn't always get you a better oil.also royal purple had the best results i think but is a lot dearer than the Valvoline.

It did appear to be an independent test.

dunno they wreckon they supplied said oils & had a labratory conduct the tests with load ratings & pics of a test bush that was used/scored for each oil.the pics & the load ratings suggested would have pointed anyone to either Royal purple or Valvoline!

anyways justed interested to see what u guys thought.

Interesting - ive always associated valvoline with shitty xf falcons and commos (and even then it seemed to burn off pretty quick- lol i used to own them).

Hmm often do ride ons need rebuilds? :)

LOL, So in the said test, did they applied heat, to the sort of temperature range that a turbo motor expose the oil to. You might find the result will be very different. Nothing kills oil of faster than heat.

Well, that what I was led to believe.

yeh i asked myself the same question when reading the article ,also no tests on the ability to remove contaminents etc.The article had nothing on what temps the oils where at.Can grab the mag from work & post up some of the article if that isn't breaking any laws?

yeh i asked myself the same question when reading the article ,also no tests on the ability to remove contaminents etc.The article had nothing on what temps the oils where at.Can grab the mag from work & post up some of the article if that isn't breaking any laws?

The best oil test will either be the Sequence IIIG test, timken, HTHS or real life UOA results (used oil analysis).

IIIG

Interesting site for oil analysis (BITOG)

UOA

I wouldn't ever trust anything in a magazine paid by advertisers.

And what is good for a pushrod, is not necessarily good for a dual cam turbo engine.

I second that... that's pure marketing, i wouldn't trust those mag article either. Ester base fluids like Motul 300V, Redline, Neo and Fuchs Silkolene will be very good for high temp turbo charge engine.