SAU Community

Electronic Boost Controllers & Fuel Economy

Hey any help with this is greatly appreciated. I'm driving an R33 GTS-T and currently my fuel economy is pretty bad with 350kms a tank. I'm currently running boost at 13.5 psi and I’m interested in switching to an electronic boost controller so I can also run the car at 7 psi and in turn hopefully increase fuel economy greatly. What are your experiences/opinions on this?

I'm also interested in any experiences with fuel economy when running on boost at 7 psi?

TIA ;)

I agree with everyone else, running 7psi won't help much.

From what I've read if you're getting bad fuel economy (and its not because of your heavy right foot) then you might need to check your o2 sensor in the exhaust is working as it should.

Fixxxer

350kms, that's awesome.....my record was 206.8kms for the F100....

The big question here is what sort of driving is it, 350 is no good on the highway, but not too bad for stop-start in traffic. I aim for around 350 - 400 around town and 600ish on the highway, that's on 18psi.

I have an EBC these days and it makes no discernable difference to the fuel economy.

Yeah... i've changed my sensor TWICE, and it didn't make a lick of difference. I'm not blowing any rich smoke or anything, sparks have been changed to iridium items recently too.

Highway driving gets me close to 400k's, gentle driving or not-so-gentle driving makes no difference in town... still get 350 TOPS.

No leaks that I can detect either. Fuel filter looks good and clean. MAF is working perfectly but I cleaned it anyway.

I've given up on trying to solve this one. =-]

Oh... I fill up 50L each time. So 50L gets me 350k's. 7km/L

A good tuning is very important to using good fuel efficiency. You might me using too much fuel right now but not making the power it should make. a good tuning should fix this problem and with a boost controller you should be able to adjust the boost and fuel level easily

You'd think the standard ECU and standard tune on it would give better economy than that though... granted, tuning can yield better power AND economy if done right.