SAU Community

How Do You Rate Optimax Extreme?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember only about a year or two ago there was uproar around service stations selling fuel with ethanol

Yeah whats the story with this, they were selling it at pump prices, the under the uncounter stuff, but now it costs an arm and a leg extra?

Yeah whats the story with this, they were selling it at pump prices, the under the uncounter stuff, but now it costs an arm and a leg extra?

You need to differentiate between bodgy operators adding ethanol/toluene and or any other rubbish to the fuel to avoid excise & the proper stuff.

The legit stuff is good but you ned to be sure that your tune is ok with it.

japanese fuel is 100RON

optimax extreme is 100RON

so, the STOCK ecu IS tuned for this fuel

the only difference is the ethanol additive which they have used to increse the octane rating.. will this damage your engine? at 5% of the blend, there will be sweet f-all going into your enging at any time, and i can't see how it could make a difference

i have tried it and like it

i give it an 8/10 and 2 thumbs up

japanese fuel is 100RON

the only difference is the ethanol additive which they have used to increse the octane rating.. will this damage your engine? at 5% of the blend, there will be sweet f-all going into your enging at any time, and i can't see how it could make a difference

I feel the same way mate, been using it since the first week it was released my car seems healthier and revs harder. I dont see what all the fuss is about 5 % wont do s#*t all, give it a try, u generally know if your car drives better or not if your in tune with it. u no like u no buy

Guest Mashrock
japanese fuel is 100RON

i dont beleive thats the case.. as the shell fuel has an additive to it. (ethanol) and it is alot more oxyginated than say japans 100ron fuel.

so once again,..

tuning is needed/

Simple - Throw a wideband on your car. Drive it and note the AF/R.

Then drain the tank and put Extreme in it - you will notice its leaned out by 1 ratio. (ie if it was 12:1 before, now it will be running 13:1)

This is due to extra oxygen and the reduced density of the ethanol.

Need tuning.

Simple - Throw a wideband on your car. Drive it and note the AF/R.

Then drain the tank and put Extreme in it - you will notice its leaned out by 1 ratio. (ie if it was 12:1 before, now it will be running 13:1)

This is due to extra oxygen and the reduced density of the ethanol.

Would you care to do the mathematics on that?

ie; take the oxygen content for Optimax, compare it to the oxygen content for Optimax Extreme. Plus take the SG of Optimax, compare it to the SG for Optimax Extreme. Then extrapolate that calculation to the A/F ratio change.

:) cheers ;)

Edited by Sydneykid

• 3 weeks later...
How do I do that?

A/F ratios are based on weight, not volume, hence the need for specific gravity of the fuels.

Moving on...............we have a new project car, an R33GTST that is in need of some TLC. One of the recent upgrades was a Power FC. As most people are aware, the default ignition maps are a little advanced for Optimax, Ultimate or Vortex 98. Not as bad as they used to be for 95 ron fuels, but still a tad. Obviously I will tune it properly eventually , but we have a few mods to go yet and I don’t have the time to tune it multiple times. So the idea was to stick the Power FC in and run it on the default maps for a couple of weeks. On Optimax and Ultimate (didn’t try Vortex) it was reaching knock of 60+ up our usual test hill in 4th gear as logged on the datalogit. The dash warning was also flashing frequently, as it is set for 60, in normal day to day driving around. When the tank was just about empty this week, we filled it up with Optimax Extreme (@ 5 cents a litre more than Optimax). Several runs up the hill and we are not seeing knock over 10. And zero dash warnings in 3 days of normal driving.

Now that is very worthwhile, there is not enough Optimix Extreme around yet for me to tune it exclusively for 100 ron, but it sure will be a useful for the odd track day or run down the ¼.

I will monitor the effects of the ethanol on the fuel lines, o’rings and seals over the next few weeks. The injectors and fuel pump will have to come out shortly so I will check their condition as well. I am not anticipating any problems, but it is still worth checking.

:P cheers:)

Edited by Sydneykid

Remember only about a year or two ago there was uproar around service stations selling fuel with ethanol. Cars were not running properly, there was a lot of press about it.

Yes, and that was with dodgy operators puting more than 10% ethanol in the fuels. See ethanol is/was cheaper than petrol, therefore some operators would put up to 20% in fuel. Now when you are talking those levels of ethanol it certainly isn't good for the cars. This is the situation which cofused people into thinking that any percentage of ethonal being bad. Back then, noone said that 10% ethonal was bad, they did however say that 10% was the acceptable limit.

I've been using it since the first day it came out in Sydney. On my 15th tank about now. The car feels stronger, SUPER SMOOTH adn no signs of crap in the fuel lines. It really sperates itself on those 40 deg days (especially when I don't have any CAI). Meliage is about the same but with the extra reponsiveness and strenth aI still count that s being more "efficient"

Extreme is all that is man!!!! (9/10)

BTW. Did anyone watch that craptacular report on PULP last night? The were crapping on about PULP getting teh same milieage per tank than unleaded. The way I saw it was that more power for the same KM's is the definition of efficiency! Naomi Robson sucks balls. Bring back Jana Wendt

Sam

^ but they said this is for cars turned to run on 91RON, which is fair enough.

They failed to mention imports need to run PULP, so its not just a revenue raiser for the petrol companies. Funny how they leave stuff out when its convieniant for them.

^ but they said this is for cars turned to run on 91RON, which is fair enough.

Were they using some POS econobox that doesn't have a knock sensor ot adjust timing etc? Wouldn't surprise me if they weren't, and then actually reported that PULP is bad for the engine since it causes pinging in those boat anchors.

8/10 (as posed by the original question)

My car (stock & untuned) seems to run rich - as is the factory's habit.

It ran better on 95 RON 10% Ethanol (I think thats what it is) from ... um.... independant... than it did on optimax... so...

Oh - and why does ethanol have more oxygen? COOCH (translation - go learn chemistry)

• 1 month later...

After a month (~2,000k's) of running exclusively on Extreme in the R33GTST, I did a fuel filter change on the weekend. Cut it open and no sign of any foreign material, deteriorated fuel hose etc. That means zero effect from the 5% ethanol, as expected. So we will continue to use it.

:O cheers :(