SAU Community

Spark Plugs

R33S2

ive just finished replacing my plugs with bosch fr8 dcx with a 1.1 gap.

The car is detonating all over the shop. runs really smooth under boost. But if you put foot in, it just starts going put put put and hesiitating.

weird as it runs really smooth apart from that.

Help?! I am over this car!

Do not use any conti plugs, use Denso or NGK brand. They are more suitable for jap made ride. Since you have already bought the bosch, set the gap down to 1, if detonate then down to 0.9 so on and so fore.

So i can pull these out and change the gap?

please explain. In the past ive hit up the old man who is a mechanic and he has given me a set and we are away.

Ill do that tmrw morning and see what happens. I;m guessing you need those filler guages thingymebobs?

conti plugs? what is that?

So i can pull these out and change the gap?

please explain. In the past ive hit up the old man who is a mechanic and he has given me a set and we are away.

Ill do that tmrw morning and see what happens. I;m guessing you need those filler guages thingymebobs?

conti plugs? what is that?

Yes, you need a feeler gauge and a long nose plier.

Conti plugs mean European brand like Bosch, voker or brisk.

Edited by Trex101

I've got denso iridiums IK16, set at 1.05mm, so whats the heat range of these plugs and are they ok for my car or do i need to change them? i was going to change them anyway but if these aren't what i should get then i'd like to know before i get new ones.

I've got denso iridiums IK16, set at 1.05mm, so whats the heat range of these plugs and are they ok for my car or do i need to change them? i was going to change them anyway but if these aren't what i should get then i'd like to know before i get new ones.

IK16 is about a number 5 NGK heat range plugs. IK16 may be too hot for your ride, choose IK20 (equal to NGK heat range 6 plug).

bosch wr8dcx for rb25det, any good? It sounds like it is breaking down under load.

I previously had NGK bcp5es in the car and they were good up until 5000rpm then powere flatened out and it seemed the car was held back by soething.

Maybye a vacuum line not hooked up properley?

Help!

Breaking down over 5000rpm is pinging? could be the plugs, coilpacks or timing.

NGK bcp5es are a hotter plug than the norm.

What boost are running?

What are the plugs gapped to?

NGK copper plugs are the way to go. As people have suggested the BCPR6ES.

ross80,

those plugs are shite. get the NGK coppers.

And for the record.......

Irridium and platinum are a WASTE OF MONEY

rev210,

ill get those bosch ones out of there then.

Which ngk ones should I get? And what gap?

Car has front mount, pod, 3.25 inch exhaust cat back. I havnt upped the boost yet.

cheers

r33 s2,

I had them gapped at 1.1 and they were a bosch pulg with a heat range of 8.

The guy at the service station got the specs out of book but obviously they are complete shit as car run better with ngk with a heat range of 5 and a 1 mil gap.

as others have suggested NGK BCPR6ES works for what you have.

You will find them as BCPR6ES-11's (the 11 part reffers to the fact that they are pre-gapped to 1.1mm).

gap them down to 0.8mm

Should work well.

thanks for your help.

Cleaned every sensor plug in the engine bay with H1000 electronic contact cleaner so I guess ill give those plugs a go.

Mates dad is a manager at Bursons so I might get lucky and get the .8's straight up.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks once again goes to SK, and those that backed up his opinions :(

Put some bcpr6es' in yesterday, gapped at .8, after running iridiums for 40K odd. Idle is now smooth as instead of the occasional misfire, and seems smoother right through the rev range. It also seems to run slightly cooler, although I haven't taken it for a long run to confirm this yet.

Just a couple of small questions -

when I put the new plugs in the idle dropped slightly. Yes, I currently have the (throttle) bypass valve disabled. The gap of the old plugs was .8 too. What does this point to?

Also, if anything, the car has slightly reduced power, however this could just be my mind playing tricks on me, given that it also feels smoother now.

My guess for both of these questions is that I may be able to get away with a slightly larger gap now.

Before changing the plugs, I was running at just under 12 psi, however the car was starting to hesitate and pop under full throttle at around the 3500 mark, so I dropped the boost to 10.5ish. I've never heard pinging on a boosted motor, but I can't say that I heard anything like pinging when this was happening(tho I'm not sure how audible it would be over the din of the motor and exhaust), which led me to the conclusion that it was more likely missing (due to sparks blowing out) moreso than pinging. would that be right?

So my question is this - what is the better option, re-gap the plugs or increase the boost again?

Edited by jezzerrr

hmmm....

What is the difference between a "BCPR6ES" and the "BKR6E-11"?

other then the gap difference, they are both copper plugs with the same heat range correct? I bought the BKR6E-11's after i found my local shop didnt have the normal plugs in stock.... however, the BKR6E's have the same number as the iridium plugs without the prefix, and were listend under the performance column. can anyone shed light on the diferences?