SAU Community

Noob Questions

agent_felix

Hey all, just joined to check on a few things before i decide what the new car i get is...

At the moment i drive a 91 celica with kit, rims etc.. all that jizz...

but i just got a ridiculously good drum kit and we will be touring soon so i need to get a car that can carry the kit and be useful for road trips...

now, i saw the body kit guide on here, but i couldnt really tell whether there were any or not, pretty much just something to make it look a bit better and to house an aftermarket FMIC... so do we have to import them or not?

how much different to an R33 gts-t are they, i went for a blast last night in one and it was more than what im after... i know they will be heavier and probly handle worse... but does the AWD make up for it? being i can drop the clutch a bit higher in the RPM range?

does anyone know the resonant frequency in the car? at the moment i compete in DB drags and in the sedan shape celica (not hatch = less db's) and im up to 145db with 2 10" orions... thats 52hz im guessing the stagea is probly mid-low 40 hz's

and whats this Neo engine? some say its like economy where others say is better than an RB25... power wise is what im after, i CBF doing many mods apart from the main ones and ones to make it more reliable...

ill think of some more if you guys feel like answering...

Well unless your looking at either buying a 260RS, lucky enough to find a manual series 2 or are planing on doing a manual conversion then I wouldn't worry about dropping your clutch as their mainly auto's. As for handling then (this depends on suspension condition / setup) they don't handle too bad at all for a wagon. I'm a little biased seeing as i've never driven a stock example (I've had mine a couple of weeks now and it came with the suspension setup explained in the group buy thats on here atm minus the shocks / springs). I find it handles much better than some other imports I've driven. And they still go pretty hard with just a few easy mods considering their 1650kg +. The only time I notice the extra girth in braking. I believe nissan could have done much better here for the spirited driver. But once again thanks to SK and a few others here thats pretty easy to sort out now. I'm looking at doing this before I do anything else. As for the NEO in the series 2 it does make more power (there will be a thread somewhere here that tells u how much) and main differences are variable valve timing...some one else can finish that for me :P As for audio questions I'm just starting to explore that now. But all in all a great ride and unlike arse holes not every one has a stagea which is also a plus

Hey all, just joined to check on a few things before i decide what the new car i get is...

At the moment i drive a 91 celica with kit, rims etc.. all that jizz...

but i just got a ridiculously good drum kit and we will be touring soon so i need to get a car that can carry the kit and be useful for road trips...

now, i saw the body kit guide on here, but i couldnt really tell whether there were any or not, pretty much just something to make it look a bit better and to house an aftermarket FMIC... so do we have to import them or not?

how much different to an R33 gts-t are they, i went for a blast last night in one and it was more than what im after... i know they will be heavier and probly handle worse... but does the AWD make up for it? being i can drop the clutch a bit higher in the RPM range?

does anyone know the resonant frequency in the car? at the moment i compete in DB drags and in the sedan shape celica (not hatch = less db's) and im up to 145db with 2 10" orions... thats 52hz im guessing the stagea is probly mid-low 40 hz's

and whats this Neo engine? some say its like economy where others say is better than an RB25... power wise is what im after, i CBF doing many mods apart from the main ones and ones to make it more reliable...

ill think of some more if you guys feel like answering...

Quick answers, as there is a thread on every answer;

Stagea weighs around 250 kgs more than an R33GTST, 200 kgs fo the 4wd system and 50 kgs for the waggon.

S1 has 170 kw, S2 has 206 kw, 260RS has 206 kw (more like 246 kw)

S1 is pretty much auto only, S2 has tiptronic and the rare manual, 260RS is manual

They have 4wd "traction" not to be confused with "handling". In the wet our R33GTST (same power) can not keep up, in a straight line or around corners. That's "traction", in the dry it's the other way around. Suspension is basically R33GTR front and R33GTST rear.

The Neo engine (S2) is the same as that in an R34GTT, infinitely variable inlet camshaft timing (S1 has simple on or off), larger turbine cover on the turbo, solid camshaft followers and a larger intercooler.

Many Stageas were sold new with "body kits", for example DAYZ is a large Stagea dealer that has their own (OE quality) body kits. There are plenty of styles available, from mild skirts and bumpers to a full R34GTR front conversion.

I have no idea of the resonant frequency, it's a large box so I am sure you can fill it.

Hope that helps

:P Cheers ;)

Edited by Sydneykid

hi all

i too am a noob to the stagea scene and was wondering if any one here has done a front mount cooler on a series2 at all? if so what kit etc and where from, cost etc and also how much stuffing around was it to do? and what gains were achieved if possible.

mine is a series 2 manual with adjustable koni's and custom exhaust from the hi-flow 3"cat to the back so any info would be greatly appreciated.

oxford

that was prolly a 260RS for $45k..GTR engine :)

manual's are pretty rare dude, i know someone who does conversions for $3k.

check www.motovationimports.com.au i know they had a manual not too long ago, might still be there

yeh none there, a conversion sounds good tho.. might have to settle for it...

i hope i dont have to settle for a subaru or something...

im thinking towards a tiptronic but can you drop to neutral in them to be able to rev then launch?

Edited by agent_felix

yeh none there, a conversion sounds good tho.. might have to settle for it...

i hope i dont have to settle for a subaru or something...

im thinking towards a tiptronic but can you drop to neutral in them to be able to rev then launch?

What you want is an RS-Four S. They are evalible everyday in Japan. Have a talk to J Spec Imports. They will help you out

what kinda $$ they go for?

how long do imports take?

Ummm.... Looking at low to mid 20's I think. Importing takes a fair while, take your time if your going to do it. My car took like 4 monthes From when I signed up to when I took delivery.... It was all worth it though