SAU Community

Advice On Cam Selection For R34gtt

ssslpr

Hey ppl. just looking at getting some cams for my skyline. (r34GTT). just wondering what cam best suits my application? ive searched the forums already and come up with not much at all. Bass junky advised on the Tomei pon cam type A. just wanted other opinions on this and if cam gears would be neccessary or a good addition?both IN and EX? and also good upgraded set of brake pads.

my car currently has Turbo back exhaust, ARC front mount, when cams are bought ARC airbox/ shroud will be coming also, power FC, profec B spec II(for sale if anyone's interested) and will probably be high flowing standard turbine rather then upgrading.

Any info will be greately appreciated.

cheers

Maurice

Edited by ssslpr

Don't bother with cams unless/until you are upgrading the turbo.

The Tomei Poncam type B 260/260 are the best for my money although I don't know anyone with an R34 and the Type A. Put it this way, they don't destroy your idle or reduce driveability much so why not go as big as possible?

They are still street cams when it comes down to it, Tomei make the Procams for more full on situations.

I have 255 rwkw with a GCG highflow at 0.9 bar and these cams.

I don't think the cam gears are worth getting although if you want you can sacrifice some idle smoothness for early boost with stock turbo. I think this would equate to top end losses with bigger turbo.

i was told that the type A with a standard highflowed turbo woudl result in better response rather than the larger 260 which is more suited to an upgraded. i was told i would get the same power with these cames and highflow turbo?? hmmmm. sounds like more resaerch is needed. what about other brands?? anyone have any testimonials or heard anythign about other brands??

thanks for the input ABO.

Well installation won't be an issue.... so it's just the cost of the part + delivery for me :P

Question for Bass and Abo; on a scale of 10, how would you rate this upgrade in terms of bang for buck? I know both of you probably did a whole lot of other stuff at the same time, but give it your best opinion

Cheers guys

S

I have very similar mods to Bass Junky too except for cams. Made 226rwkw on the initial tune, now making about 10-15rwkw more with boost control kit and Z32 AFM, call it 235-240rwkw.

Cams will be the next step for me, but they certainly weren't a priority. 10rwkw is probably a good "figure".

It's not just the extra 10kw.

I'm making over 240 rwkw for over 1500rpm.

It's a big fatr curve.

The stock cams fall over at 6000rpm.

the poncams are on song at 4500 right through to 8000.

See how flat the torque curve is?