SAU Community

R32 cutting out?

JEDi

OK guys - here's my first post in the forum, so treat me kind. I have a stock 1992 r32gts-t which has been humming along just fine for the last two years (apart from the alarm shorting out and setting some of the interior wiring on fire ... but that's another story).

Anyway, I start up the car yesterday morning and it turns over and over and does nothing. I think maybe it's fuel, so give the tank a "thud" then it finally starts - and slowly comes to life. It then coughs and splutters for the first 10 min or so. After this, it seems fine, except it still seems to cut in and out once I get on boost - like it's starving. When I stop and start during the day the same happens, then when I leave it overnight I have to revert to a "thud" to the fuel tank to wake it up. I did a search on old forum threads but couldn't find anything similar.

Given it happened so suddenly, does it sound like a fuel pump problem? If so, what's the best way to go about fixing it? I hear a factory replacement pump is around $700! Any thoughts appreciated!

Welcome to SAU Jedi,

If it is your fuel pump...(which is what it sounds like to me given that a thud to the tank helps!)

A GTR pump ($350-500) second-hand would be better than a GTS-t factory one especially if they charge $700 for one! The GTR pumps flow upto 450hp-500hp.

Have you replaced plugs or fuel filter lately?

Just trying to help!

Is that your skyline in your avatar? (looks real good!! I really like black R32's)

MEGA

MEGA - thanks for the reply. I haven't done the plugs or filter for about 6 months, so probably time now. As to a second hand GTR pump - I may need help with where you'd get something like that. I'll try a trawl through the classifieds forum but other than that is there a place you'd recommend?

And yes that is my car - having looked at the pics of yours I can see why you like it! NICE GTS-4 you have there!

Jedi, this is Raven here. I cant help you with the fuel pump issue but gday anyway.

Did you know this forum is in the top 10 auto websites in Australia according to Wheels magazine?

ciao

RAVEN

My sister in law keeps referring to the R30 as The Salad Dressing. In 1984 I guess people only considered Paul Newman to be an actor and race car driver...not a consumate food producer.

No more issues. Clocked up 6000 k's on it this week, averaging 26 mpg.

RAVEN

I think I worded that badly. I have now 6000k's in total since I have had it. That makes it about 1500 k's a month.

It has done a couple of Can-Syd return trips, a 2 day trip checking out rural land and general get me to work stuff.

Now we have the x-trail it shouldnt do so much work. Then again I am going to Maitland Wed/Thurs so there goes another 1000ks!

RAVEN

I think I worded that badly. I have now 6000k's in total since I have had it. That makes it about 1500 k's a month.

It has done a couple of Can-Syd return trips, a 2 day trip checking out rural land and general get me to work stuff.

Now we have the x-trail it shouldnt do so much work. Then again I am going to Maitland Wed/Thurs so there goes another 1000ks!

RAVEN