SAU Community

Eventally Bmw Go Turbo :)

Maxx

I've heard about this before, and frankly I am a little disappointed :P . When I heard a new BMW turbo was coming, I almost shat myself in anticipation of a modern day BMW 2002 turbo. With 0-100km/h in about 7 seconds in 1972, that was an absolute giant killer in its day! But this new BMW turbo "only" makes 225kw. I know they don't want to tread on the upcoming 300kw BMW M3's turf, but still, it could have at least another 30kw on top of that figure without invading M3 territory...

Oh well, we will see if the driving experience makes up for the detuning when it comes out!

Seem, BMW has fallen on their own sword. They were arrogant in the way they created cars and have beat their chest in one of the biggest anti-turbo campaign. So I wonder what their sale pitch will be from now on.

Seem, BMW has fallen on their own sword. They were arrogant in the way they created cars and have beat their chest in one of the biggest anti-turbo campaign. So I wonder what their sale pitch will be from now on.

BMW may be arrogant in the way they create cars, but their engines were never the problem. Numerous wins in engine of the year competition wins will prove that. Their biggest problem goes by the name of Chris Bangle. Their next biggest problem goes by the name SMG. If they didn't beat their chest in ChriSMG capmaigns they would sell more top end vehicles.

Hrmm you say, BMW engines are great, I'm not so sure, as a previous owner of M3/M5. All I can say is from my limmitted knowledge, that BMW make nice engines that don't last or a better way to put it very fragile engines.

I've always treated those car with kiddies glove, not for resale values, but for not wanting to walk empty highways.

But you did pointed out one very good point, SMG is a joke and should be removed from all BMW and taken to the closest tip.

BTW I love chris. Bangles work, he's just way- way out there that's all.

poor fella.

Hrmm you say, BMW engines are great, I'm not so sure, as a previous owner of M3/M5. All I can say is from my limmitted knowledge, that BMW make nice engines that don't last or a better way to put it very fragile engines.

I've always treated those car with kiddies glove, not for resale values, but for not wanting to walk empty highways.

But you did pointed out one very good point, SMG is a joke and should be removed from all BMW and taken to the closest tip.

I know what you mean. My mate's boss races BMW's, and they say the engines are fragile as well. They're built to rev high, but they don't like boost and they don't last long. Notice how BMW still gets around with a 2 year warranty, when everyone else offers at least 3....?

His boss has an E36 M3R that has been stripped and prepped for race work, so its completely off-street. Rebuild, head work, unmuffled exhaust, etc......and it barely puts out any more power than my VQ35DE with a noise-legal catback exhaust and Unichip. And it certainly doesn't deliver power anywhere near as smoothly from the middle of the rev range. And it needs a lot more maintenance than my engine.

I'm not a big fan of the M3's exhaust note either. I heard some fooli sik guy launch an E46 on George St on Saturday night, and it sounded a bit strained. That said, I did hear a CSL rip past the Shell at Rushcutter's Bay and it sounded the business.

I would love a drive of an SMG equipped car on the track. The principle behind it, for me, makes perfect sense. If I was to build a race car I'd want an electronically actuated gearbox / clutch arrangement, especially one that shifts in 80ms (which is faster than any human and never misses). Actually, I'd prefer a DSG but a SMG-style gearbox would come second.

When I read the power outputs I was kind of disappointed too. 225kW from a 3.0L twin turbo 6? I realise that its not necessarily in sports car guise (It'll end up in the X5 as well as the regular sedans) but when an R34's RB26DETT can put that out with almost half a litre of displacement missing, while still being completely OEM-like in its NVH, emissions, and response, I don't know why it makes so little power.

So I wonder what their sale pitch will be from now on.

The same as Subaru's and their past love of "symmetric AWD", or Holden and pushrods.

They'll just pretend they never said anything.

"The low-blow six is, however, expected to deliver enormous torque -- 400Nm across a wide rev range (from 1500-5800rpm). By way of comparison the N52 3.0-litre engine develops 300Nm at 2500rpm and the current M3 powerplant, 365Nm at 4900rpm"

Doesn't sound all bad to me..

A wide spread of torque like that is great for a commuter car motor. It just picks up and pulls from any gear, at any RPM.

But in a sports car (which is apparently what BMW sells) the engine is going to feel dull. The power delivery isn't going to crescendo at higher RPM, like all nicely tuned sports car motors do. It will just pull with monotony, and as it only makes 220kW its not going to propel you that quickly once you get those RPM up. It's going to drive like a Volkswagen.

And, if you want torque, just take the diesel motor.

When I read the power outputs I was kind of disappointed too. 225kW from a 3.0L twin turbo 6? I realise that its not necessarily in sports car guise (It'll end up in the X5 as well as the regular sedans) but when an R34's RB26DETT can put that out with almost half a litre of displacement missing, while still being completely OEM-like in its NVH, emissions, and response, I don't know why it makes so little power.

I know where your coming from.....BUT You can't compare this engine to the RB26DETT because it's more of a middle class engine as apposed to the RB26 which is prob the best Nissan engine out there(sure some will/might diagree) but to compare it would have to be the 5.0 V12 BMW motor. But then engine price comes into it!

It's just a pity for us Ausrtalians to have to fork out so mush dosh for a killa BMW ie: at least $120,000+ as aposed to the more affordable R34GTR(well for some people)

BMW have had a Turbo Desiel out in Germany for some time now, So i still think they know what they are doing! and as previously said they can't make it have more power than the M3 because M3 is "their" sport model. It's like the BA XR6T in test made more power than the V8, but because we are Australian the V8 had to come out with more power, so they detuned the XR6T's. Stupid really but hey what can we do......