SAU Community

Eventally Bmw Go Turbo :)

Maxx

A wide spread of torque like that is great for a commuter car motor. It just picks up and pulls from any gear, at any RPM.

But in a sports car (which is apparently what BMW sells) the engine is going to feel dull. The power delivery isn't going to crescendo at higher RPM, like all nicely tuned sports car motors do. It will just pull with monotony, and as it only makes 220kW its not going to propel you that quickly once you get those RPM up. It's going to drive like a Volkswagen.

And, if you want torque, just take the diesel motor.

It didn't say anything in the article about it being a "sports car" motor? 400nm at 1500rpm ain't going to be no volkswagen... :P

It didn't say anything in the article about it being a "sports car" motor?

BMW bills themselves as building the "ultimate driving machines" for "sheer driving pleasure". They like to pretend all their vehicles have sports car attributes.

If this motor was going into a Volvo or Mercedes I'd have a lot less derision for it, since it would suit the brand.

And most of the relatively upspec engines in VAG run turbos, and have a similarly flat torque curve with little reason to rev it out. Whether its in a Passat, A4, etc......its still a Volkswagen engine.

BMW bills themselves as building the "ultimate driving machines" for "sheer driving pleasure". They like to pretend all their vehicles have sports car attributes.

I disagree. Since when have any of the non "M" spec models ever been branded as sports cars?

Either way, I'm sure in std form it'd be quiet, reliable and would woop most "sports" cars from 100km/hr. Mercs and BMWs have always been great for their constant, relentless acceleration.

I disagree. Since when have any of the non "M" spec models ever been branded as sports cars?

Either way, I'm sure in std form it'd be quiet, reliable and would woop most "sports" cars from 100km/hr. Mercs and BMWs have always been great for their constant, relentless acceleration

When the company's slogan is "The Ultimate Driving Machine" and their family sedan ad features it cutting through a windy set of roads...and their small / medium car ad replaces the vehicle with runners....what's that telling you about their "branding"?

I can't believe there's any kind of dispute about BMW's marketing principles. They've always apparently been about "driving fast", which differentiated them from their major competitor (Mercedes) who pride themselves on their engineering.

As for your other comment, have you ever driven a BMW or Merc? Ignore the marketing hype and the cars are tuned for cruising and midrange. Unless you've got an M vehicle the acceleration is hardly relentless....it just doesn't peter out as much at high speeds relative to low speeds like Japanese cars do. Slow and steady, but hardly quick.

Your entry model 318i / 320i will not keep up with any Japanese small / mid sedan. The 118i takes 11 seconds to hit 100km/hr. A 330Ci / CL350 will still get smashed by the cheaper 350Z.

With 400Nm from 1500RPM this thing will pull through the midrange with little lag, so on rolling starts it should be good. But once you rev it out and keep it up high in the rev range, its mediocre power output is going to blunt its constant acceleration.

Edited by scathing

When the company's slogan is "The Ultimate Driving Machine" and their family sedan ad features it cutting through a windy set of roads...and their small / medium car ad replaces the vehicle with runners....what's that telling you about their "branding"?

so does The Mistu 380... and the Falcon... and the Commodore... and... and... shall I stop now?

I can't believe there's any kind of dispute about BMW's marketing principles. They've always apparently been about "driving fast", which differentiated them from their major competitor (Mercedes) who pride themselves on their engineering.

Well 'ultimate driving machine' does not necessarily insinuate 'fast'. It means as an overall package, it is excellent to drive - going around corners, day to day etc. Anyone can build a straight line car that is fast... 6.0L anyone?

As i recall the original mini cooper wasn't 'FAST' in a straight line, but still kicked a number of 'pedigree' marques, and is still a hoot to drive.

Your entry model 318i / 320i will not keep up with any Japanese small / mid sedan. The 118i takes 11 seconds to hit 100km/hr. A 330Ci / CL350 will still get smashed by the cheaper 350Z.

With 400Nm from 1500RPM this thing will pull through the midrange with little lag, so on rolling starts it should be good. But once you rev it out and keep it up high in the rev range, its mediocre power output is going to blunt its constant acceleration.

Have you driven a BMW? I have an E46 330i and, for it's designed purpose a comfortable 4 door, relatively rapid car, it delivers in SPADES. I wouldn't trade the 330 for the crashy cheap interior of a 350z.

Horses for courses. Take your 350z and smash me - I simply don't care while cruising along in (soft) leather, comfort and quietness.

Lastly, the focus should be on the package, and what the brand wants to deliver. Picking shit out of just hte engine is a moot point.

That is all.

i think more the crux of BMW's principles and their marketing, is about 'sheer driving pleasure' - case in point. MX5, is sheer driving pleasure. Not much punch, but a hoot to drive. That's what BMW's are, they're not all insanely quick, but all are great to drive. They stick to their principle of rwd, even in the lower models. They've always had great, solid, responsive chasis's, coupled with a rwd mentality, it's about the driving "experience". Doesn't just mean straight line, it encompases everything. That's why a car like the M3 CSL, with only 265kw's, which some here would be thinking is a little under-done, can still beat a 911 GT3 RS around Winton and other tracks. It's more than just the kw's ppl.

And i don't know how ppl are so quick to judge this new engine just cos it has 225kw's? alledgedly? Are we doubting BMW's ability to tune an engine? hello, 265kw's from 3.2 litres, and N/A???

Ronin - you hit the nail on the head.. Last time I drove a 330Ci convertible it wasn't fast from the line, but pretty damn good from 100 and fantastic from 150+ (on a closed, private road of course!)..

And even more fun in the corners. My Neo 33 would've killed it in a 1/4 mile battle, but as an everyday driver's car to live with - I'd have one every time.

On the side, unless the new M3 is a screamer (which it will have to be to keep up with the new RS4) the new turbo engine is going to be the pick for a lot of the tuners..... and there appear to be alot of them overseas. Could be wrong.

If I were to get something from that market segment with the intention of modification, it's the upcoming Mercedes C63 AMG all the way! It's plain lunacy putting nearly 500hp worth of 6.3 litre V8 in a vehicle that small!!! Add a brabus or kleeman blower kit at the front, LSD at the rear, and you should run 11's easy.