SAU Community

Seriously Exhausting 33

I can definately recommend the Kakimoto R. Great flow and no drone.

Its not quiet quiet, at low revs and revving down it does growl a bit, but after say 2500rpm is pretty quiet. No drone at cruising speed.

When you open it up its pretty quiet at high revs.

Its pretty expensive all up as an entire syste, with jap cat back costs about 2100. I have not noticed a big difference with the dump or cat so you can skimp on that. Cat back prob doesnt make much of a difference in power either, but the jap ones will always sound better than any custom / el cheapo muffler.

You wont notice massive power gains in a R34 because their exhausts are relatively good already (compared to say S15's)

NB: also ahve 3" split dump and stainless catco cat.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi nuffsaid,

Thanks for the feedback on the Kakimoto.R, that's exactly what I'm after - quiet but not too quiet, ie. nice idle, meaty down low - but goes away when you're cruising at highway speeds.

Interesting what you say about dump/cat not making a difference - I've noticed the opposite. I had a 3.5" japanese catback on my old, near std R32 (cannon style complete with punched out cat, unbeknownst to me at the time), I added a 3" bigbody hiflow cat + front pipe + HKS split dump and it opened up the top end quite a bit, felt the same everywhere else though - I put that down to the fact that I'd added a functioning cat converter.....

So, being that you've almost got the exact system I'm looking at getting - how much power gain do you think you've got? CES predict a 24kw (flywheel presumably?!) gain from their full exhaust system:

http://www.cesracing.com.au/products/

Surely you would have received similar if not more?

Edited by RaseR

A bit better performance, but not by much. I'd say the R34 dump is prob a bit better than the 32, and maybe thats why I didnt notice a huge difference.

I gained about 15 maybe 20rwkw on dyno. From speaking with CES and heaps of other places, I was expecting at least 25 to 30 rwkw.

But yeah, a bit better top end, but not much.

hey guys im in the same situation as you, except i have an 32 and i want it loud but a good sounding loud (probably cause im young :ermm: ) and i want an angled tip. Anyone know what exhaust will suit my needs, im just about to order a BATMBL split dump pipe. Might keep standard cat or bash it out im not sure yet, but at the moment im just after your opions on what exhaust would suit me? These are what im looking at at the moment:

Apexi N1

Trust PE2

Blitz Nur Spec R

Somthing Jasma (dont know where to get them??)

Or Fujitsubo Power Getter Type RS

All are stainless steel and i HOPE have an angled tip (about 4inch or 5inch tip) Your help will be greatly aprreciated

Thanks

Luke

Edited by Boost32

Jasma is a Japanese standard for noise levels, not an actual exhaust brand - you'll find most brands have a Jasma approved exhaust - I believe they have to be less then 93dB to qualify which is still twice as loud as the Aussie standard of 90dB.

Trust PE2 is meant to be good, it's a cannon, sounds great - it's got a big middle resonator - so it's not too loud.

Edited by RaseR

Well a bit's been happening on here lately.

RaseR: About the Reinhard exhausts I have contacted Ivan from Hi Power Racing (www.hipowerracing.com) who responded to be very quickly. He has informed me that the Silenced system puts out below 90dB, though I'm sure that that's very quiet, was thinking more about 85dB & yeah the unsilenced system isn't called "Loud" for nothing. Interesting that you say the silencer stuffs the systems looks, I asked for a couple of pictures but he didn't have any. Are they actually the baffles in the tips on the sample shot?

Also have you considered BATMBL's split dump? From what I've seen & found out elsewhere on here u'd have to pay me to fit a CES dump to my 33. The O2 sensor is mounts in the pipe completely wrong, & is going to kill the sensor very quickly. Not what u want especially if you upgrade to a wideband sensor EXPENSIVE! Not real impressed with the quality of the work or the design either.

Boost32: You may want to have a bit more of a read of the previous pages as well as run a serch for a couple of the systems you're talking about.

Nuffsaid: Thanks for your info on the Kakimoto system. I'm kind of not surprised that an R34 didn't gain as much power with the exhaust system, they have the same engine as an S2 R33 but quote higher power in the first place, they had to get the extra from somewhere I'm sorry to say.

Edited by Electro

Hey Electro,

Heaps of good info flying around, couldn't be happier....still don't know what to buy though!

Yeah, the silencers are the baffles that you can see in the pics....

http://www.geocities.com/telifatty/Reinhar...umi_gt_dual.jpg

they actually don't look too bad at all now that I see them again (plus you can take them out when you feel like it) - I do love the twin pipe look and the price from Hi-Power racing is very good for such a cool product....hmmmm, you've got me thinking!! 90dB is very quiet, that's what required to pass an EPA test.

Yep, I'm definitely going to purchase a BATMBL split dump & 'metal' cat once I've got the catback - awesome products for a good price (I've bought stuff from him b4, top bloke).

If you don't mind me asking, how much were you quoted for a reinhard shipped to your place? My interest is rekindled! :thumbsup:

Edited by RaseR

Yeah it sounds like a gun system, I'm seriously interested in it. Didn't realise they were removeable baffles, thought they were fixed. Ivan quoted me approximately $75 to have it sent to me from Queensland to here in Adelaide, which is pretty good really.

I'm up in the air now between 1 of these, a custom system or forgetting the twin setup & going something like a Fujitsubo or Kakimoto single pipe.

The thing I like about the custom system is that I can have it tailored how I want it & they use really good quality JunBL twin mufflers at Exhaust technology & I can have the tips customised to the way I want them, what I don't like is the extrordiany cost of the bloody thing! I may see if I can get a couple of pics of the Reinhard system & just query how far it sticks out the back too, just to get an idea how it looks.

Hey Electro,

I've been researching the Reinhard exhausts....hard to find info, I did stumble across another Australian distributor, they have noise level info on their site - 95dB for the 'silent' dual cannon....that ain't exactly silent!!

Check the site:

http://www.importaddict.com.au/html/flashindex_1024.html

Hi-power Racing in Melbourne have contacted me regarding these exhausts as well, I've asked them to confirm the noise level for the silent dual-cannon...since you were told 90dB, I'm hoping it's closer to that.

Yeah I'm thinking if 1 says below 90 & another says 95 it must be at least somewhere in between. I kinda put off now, plus I don't really like the look of the baffles myself on closer inspection. To add to that I saw a series 1 33 today with a Kakimoto exhaust (could tell from the badge on the tip) & it was a really quiet system (prehaps a little too quiet). He pulled up at a set of lights where I happend to be walking, so I hung around for a minute to hear him take off, no problems with noise there.

yeah, the kakimoto's sound nice, not too noisy....pity bout the price for a new one though!! :)

As for Reinhard, the Melbourne distributor confirmed that the 'silent' exhaust is around 95dB with baffles/silencers in place....and much much louder without - no go in my opinion...despite the unique look.

I looked into a reconditioned HKS super drager today, sure they're cannon style, but they have a resonator & middle muffler as well as the cannon, and are reputed for being high-flow, low noise...hmmmmmm.....can I get over the poser style 5" tip though....dunno! :)

If that's how loud the Reinhards are forget it, I don't need the rozzers pulling me over & defecting me 5 seconds after fitting the friggen thing!

Yeah the Kakimoto does sound alright, maybe a bit too quiet though. Having said that I don't know if it is the exact same system I saw/heard. It looked like it had been on the car for a while.

To add to that I saw another 33 today on my way home from work this time with the Apexi N1 fitted, it sounded really nice. A little louder than the Kakimoto & a bit sweeter sounding I think, but the angle look is a shocker, although the way it fitted with the disgusting looking (in my opinion anyway) Veilside bodykit may have had something to do with it.

Yeah I dunno about having a 5 inch tip hanging out the back of my car either, I'd rather have two 3 to 3.5 inch tips instead, but that'll cost me about $1600 for a custom stainless system as that seems the only way of getting 1 at the moment. I don't mind the single pipe type outlets, but you loose one of the Nissan trademarks by getting rid of it (only cheap shit nissans have a single pipe from the factory).

Custom system is getting more likely by the day

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I'm at the point now where I seriously think I may go a custom system provided I'm happy with what the guys at Exhaust Technology say when I talk to them again. But I do have 1 major dielema.......

While I may only need a 3 inch system now, I may at some stage - once I've modded most of the engine & intake - want to upgrade my turbo to something a bit beefier than standard. Keeping in mind that this will remain a road car for the forseeable future (short of me winning lottery so I can afford to risk racing it, and in which case money is no object) I am unsure how big a turbo upgrade you would have to go to before requiring a 3.5 inch system.

In reality I'm probably not going to do this for a few years yet, but I don't really want to shell out the extra dough on a custom system now if I am only going to change it in a few years. I would only be upgrading the turbo to something a bit bigger like a Garrett 30/40 or something or whatever you need for about 300 to 400 at the wheels. From what I know you still only need a 3 inch for this kind of power, but I'll be checking elsewhere on this site & on the net to make sure.

Any additional input would be appreciated. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Well time for an update. I've finally got my Split dump & cat from BATMBL & I went in to see the guys at Exhaust Technology yesterday. After chatting to the main man Mark he gave me a quote for full stainless catback & this time I was quoted $1080! Unsure why he quoted me so much less than what his missus did last time I went in there, but without too much hesitation I've booked it in for this Friday :(. Muffler will be a twin pipe JUN BL with tips made to suit my taste.

Will post more info about how it goes & a couple of pics too.

Edited by Electro

Nice, Let us know how it all goes! I'm soon hopefully getting a S1 R33 GTS-T and it already comes with a 3.5'' Catback :S:S *worried* :D Will have to wait and see what it brings. Keep us posted!

Hey Electro,

Glad to hear you've decided on the custom path, sounds like you're getting a good deal as well! Remember to get pics of it once installed, it's going to look great!

Here's what I ended up getting, a brand new Trust MX 3" catback, as pictured below....Decided that at the end of the day I don't care much if it's not exactly 89dB or dual-tip - Trust have an excellent reputation for making exhausts that fit perfectly and I got it at an awesome price (Yahoo Japan auctions). It looks a bit classier than a cannon (one of my requirements) and also won't be too noisy. Coupled with a Catco 'metal' cat and a BATMBL split front/dump, it's going to be awesome.....now I've just got to wait 10 weeks or so to receive it.................. :(

post-6494-1147085766.jpg

post-6494-1147085794.jpg

post-6494-1147085827.jpg

Yeah didn't mean to put that second post up, got no idea how it happend.

Will be interested to find out what you think of your system when you get it RaseR. One thing about getting custom, you only have to wait as long as the cue to get in :D

Still up in the air on 1 part of the system, whether or not I'm going to get a resonator/second muffler fitted in the system. I've actually heard a few skylines with systems that don't have 1 & they're not real loud, others though.............

The main muffler being fitted is meant to be a really good one. I'll have to chat more to Mark about exactly what I want when I get there, but if I don't need the resonator I may go without it.

Edited by Electro

Hey Electro,

When it eventually arrives, I'll give you the full report on my system! Seems like a long way away now though.

As for resonators, be careful - they are major factor in reducing cabin drone (one of the negatives of a free flowing exhaust).

You may not need a full/oval muffler though if your rear muffler is really good, talk to your exhaust store and be sure to at least investigate a hotdog style resonator....believe me, the last thing you want is a system that seems quiet, but happens to resonate through the cabin at highway revs.....