SAU Community

Doesn't Every R33 Skyline Include "active Lsd" ?

Cyprus

Standard equipment includes....

Climate Control air-conditioning

Power Steering

Power Mirrors

Power windows

Rear spoiler

Limited Slip Diff

HICAS 4 wheel steering (standard on turbos, optional on non turbos)

Optional equipment includes...

ABS braking

Rear wiper

Electric Sunroof

Active LSD

Side-skirts and rear pods

Perhaps he was implying that and LSD and Active LSD are the same thing?

The standard lsd on R33 Gts-t's is in fact viscous and I spose could be called passive, as it responds to wheel slippage by fluid controlling the locking of both wheels.

An active lsd (Not too many Gts't's around with this option as it was around a $4000 add on option, correct me if i'm wrong) is actually the exact same (rear) diff you'll find int Vspec GTR's. Basically what this means is, there is a computer which (through abs sensors) actually measures if one wheel is slipping and uses hydraulic fluid to lock the diff.

The advantage of the viscous system is it's realatively cheap to manufacture and replace (many people just go with a kaaz 1.5 mechanical when they fail etc), the downside of a viscous type is that they will fail, and they basically just become less responsive over time as the bands inside the diff wear down.

The advantage of an active diff is that it's either open wheel (perfect for everyday driving, turning etc) or when you need it, locked. There's not really anything to wear out, as it's either open or closed, kinda like a mechanical locker you might see on a lot of old skool cars, but with a switch.

The downside? More things to go wrong I guess, computers, lines etc. And costly when they brake: Read: too much power, sticky tyres.

Hope this answered your question?

-Insu

I'm not 100% sure on whether any non turbo skylines came out with an LSD mate, you're probably best off running a search or posting in the NA section of this site.

My initial reaction would be that they wouldn't come with an LSD though. Having said that, if you're looking at picking one up, there are plenty of viscous or mechanical ones going around that would fit.

(BTW, try not to hijack threads, you'll get more responses if you firstly: Search for your answer, if you don't find it: 2) post a new thread in the appropriate section).

Goodluck and welcome to the site.

-Insu

Perhaps he was implying that and LSD and Active LSD are the same thing?

The standard lsd on R33 Gts-t's is in fact viscous and I spose could be called passive, as it responds to wheel slippage by fluid controlling the locking of both wheels.

An active lsd (Not too many Gts't's around with this option as it was around a $4000 add on option, correct me if i'm wrong) is actually the exact same (rear) diff you'll find int Vspec GTR's. Basically what this means is, there is a computer which (through abs sensors) actually measures if one wheel is slipping and uses hydraulic fluid to lock the diff.

The advantage of the viscous system is it's realatively cheap to manufacture and replace (many people just go with a kaaz 1.5 mechanical when they fail etc), the downside of a viscous type is that they will fail, and they basically just become less responsive over time as the bands inside the diff wear down.

The advantage of an active diff is that it's either open wheel (perfect for everyday driving, turning etc) or when you need it, locked. There's not really anything to wear out, as it's either open or closed, kinda like a mechanical locker you might see on a lot of old skool cars, but with a switch.

The downside? More things to go wrong I guess, computers, lines etc. And costly when they brake: Read: too much power, sticky tyres.

Hope this answered your question?

-Insu

I have one in my Gtst. With a PFC they fail intermittently (ie the Active lsd light next to the slip light near the tacko will light up-->mine seems to fail more often in hot weather). When they fail they go into open lock. If you stop the car and turn it back on the Active lsd light will go off (ie diff will be locked). Somebody told me that there was a fix for this where a wire is spliced and the problem is fixed.. although have not done a search. In the past (several months ago) i read all of the threads discussing this intermittent failure with the PFC installed and at that date there was no fix.

Its not really much of a problem like all the the other people who have them we just put up with the intermittent failure every now and again..The other day i took my car out for a thrash and it did not fail at all.

THe cool thing about this model R33 gtst that has this type of diff, is the slip light that lights up when the wheels are spinning excessively.. Coool for launching and when you hang round corners.

The bad thing about this diff is that it is expensive and extremely hard to fix as i think it was MOANIE (if i remmber from some of the forums correctly) found out when hers/his broke.

Fingers crossed mine isnt about to let go in that sort of way... it seems to feel pretty tight for now and its been through a bit in the past so i cant complain about its durability so far with about 200rwkw worth of power and 320 Nm of torque being delivered to the rear wheels through it.

• 3 weeks later...