SAU Community

Using Snow Tyres On Street

Hey.

I had a pair of snow tyres on my gtr before i could afford to buy new rims. I didn't drive my GTR that much, so it wasnt' that bad. Probably spent a month or 2 on snow tyres.

From what i can remember, when my car went over the pits - the bloke i bought it from had to switch tyres with normal tread - apparently snow tread used to be "legal" up until about a year or 2 ago. So if you do get pulled over and they do notice your tread - they most likely will give you a defect notice. Being australia though, i dont think they would know the different between "snow tread" and normal or even slicks/semi's.

As for Grip - they were fine in the GTR, easier to get the back out a bit - but i think the car behaved due to the 4wd kicking in, i'd imagine things to be a bit more "slide friendly" on a rwd platform car.

In the wet, definitely wouldnt recommend these on any car, infact i wouldn't run the risk on any car - or any weather.

Get them replaced quick smart!

no way are they legal. For a while you didn't have to put new tyres on 15yo imports if they were roadworthy but I can't see anyone claiming they are roadworthy.

Of course plenty of people got them thru and kept driving, but why have one the the best performance cars around and then take all its gripa way by using snow tyres?

If you bought a car from someone with snow tyres on go back and demand real tyres :)

If you imported it yourself I guess you should start saving up