SAU Community

Tubular Framework Under R33 Gtr Rear Subframe

What exactly is the purpose of the tubular framework connecting an R33 GTR rear subframe mountings to the boot floor? It looks like an afterthought, made from bits of office chair leg, a right abortion, with no real torsional or linear strength. I dilligently fitted this affair to my R33 GTS-t, but having dons so I am now wondering if I have merely nailed on a bit of ugly extra weight? I have already modded the subframe to body shell mounts to a totally solid construction. The car is for track use. I have often wondered if the extra stiffening in a GTR shell, as opposed to a GTS-t was designed by the tea boy, and made from bits from the scrap bin, as a last minute attempt to add much needed torsional strength to a wet paper bag type bodyshell. Comments please? Does anyone REALLY know what this "thing" is supposed to achieve?

Doesn't do a thing...drop it in the bin.....

And yes we have tested it on our track cars........none of them wear one anymore....

What exactly is the purpose of the tubular framework connecting an R33 GTR rear subframe mountings to the boot floor? It looks like an afterthought, made from bits of office chair leg, a right abortion, with no real torsional or linear strength. I dilligently fitted this affair to my R33 GTS-t, but having dons so I am now wondering if I have merely nailed on a bit of ugly extra weight? I have already modded the subframe to body shell mounts to a totally solid construction. The car is for track use. I have often wondered if the extra stiffening in a GTR shell, as opposed to a GTS-t was designed by the tea boy, and made from bits from the scrap bin, as a last minute attempt to add much needed torsional strength to a wet paper bag type bodyshell. Comments please? Does anyone REALLY know what this "thing" is supposed to achieve?