SAU Community

You Guys Might Have Some Competition Soon!

Iron Chef

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my money ANYTHING Mitsubishi is bad news!

I had some experience with Mitsubishi in a dealer a few years back, and the rep brought us out their FAST MOVING PARTS catalogue and guess what the first item was ............ Motors?????

That done it for me!

And most Mitsubishi parts are the dearest of all cars, they are up there with Honda & Lexus for pricing.

From what I saw yesterday on my first reconnaissance run, I'll take an S2 Stagea any day.

We have millions of those here in NZ. As mentioned shy away from the tiptronic version.

As for performance.

Stock for stock a manual legnum/galant vr4 will beat any stagea apart from the rs260.

They weigh significantly less than a 4wd stag and are about the same weight as a RWD stag at 1530kg so handling is possibly in their favour too.

Im inclined to believe they have a better factory tune as well. The VR4 can get some decent performance, down to the high 12s 1/4 mile range but i believe the stagea could be modified further.

Reliability is firmly in nissan's favour although the manual versions of the vr4 arent that bad.

Good cars, but a bit too common in NZ :sick:

They respond well to the usual mods, getting down to the 12s 1/4 range but they become prohibitively expensive once you get serious, mainly due to the tight space and v config.

Edited by GorGasm

• 1 month later...
lol - look at them all jump in to defend!

I used to own an EC5A Galant VR-4, as far as I know the only on in Oz. Now resides in Sydney. Mine was manual with Active Yaw Control, which is a very rare combo, even in Japan. I brought mine back with me from Japan.

They're 2.5V6 twin turbo, 206kW. I think you could probably dust an RS-Four in one, but not a chance against a 260RS - with the factory exhaust, the small turbos on the Legnum mean it runs out of puff at the top end, although the engine is a really free revver.

Parts were a real pain, I got mine from Mitsubishi NZ with only a 2-3 day wait if it was urgent. Guys at Auckland Mistubishi were legends. Not many people mod them, which makes power up stuff hard to come by.

I love Stageas, but for similar money, I'd probably take a Legnum (although I'll reserve my judgment till next week, ok [ STAGEN ]??). Interior is really nicely done - all quality materials inside.

will be able tell you all soon which is quicker have the 260rs and the legnum is on its way.. :(:woot:

post-7472-1149041134.jpg

post-7472-1149041232.jpg

nice... i had a vr4 galant, the sedan, and it was a gnarly piece of kit. how big are these? this is a later model than the galant i had.

still just a lancer wagon with booty and balls (haha sometimes not a good combination but yeah) ?

nice looking car. tail-lights look extremely forester...

nice... i had a vr4 galant, the sedan, and it was a gnarly piece of kit. how big are these? this is a later model than the galant i had.

still just a lancer wagon with booty and balls (haha sometimes not a good combination but yeah) ?

nice looking car. tail-lights look extremely forester...

this is the lancer wagon ..evo9 ..want 1 of these as well

post-7472-1149042521.jpg

the more japanese cars you see, the shitter it feels when you look at the line-up we are offered. there's a big market for these niche cars over here, that can only be filled by importing.

name a late model, turbo front engined rear-wheel drive car, open to the aussie market... a coupe or hatchback... whens the last time one was offered?

or cars like stageas and legnums, big comfy (but tough looking) V8 celsiors and such...

no wonder most of us have commodores (+ plastic = statesmans, hsvs etc) or falcons.

thats really just a bit of a vent, really, kindof off topic...

the more japanese cars you see, the shitter it feels when you look at the line-up we are offered

i have been feeling like this for years...it part of being a "protected "market..which basically translates to being a "mushroom"market

I want one of those Evo 9 wagons so bad... lol

Way too much money though..

just over 2 million yen for 05 auto..under 10,000klms .. 6 speed a bit dearer..works out cheaper than australian magna wagon :wave:

post-7472-1149050070.jpg

the more japanese cars you see, the shitter it feels when you look at the line-up we are offered. there's a big market for these niche cars over here, that can only be filled by importing.

name a late model, turbo front engined rear-wheel drive car, open to the aussie market... a coupe or hatchback... whens the last time one was offered?

or cars like stageas and legnums, big comfy (but tough looking) V8 celsiors and such...

no wonder most of us have commodores (+ plastic = statesmans, hsvs etc) or falcons.

thats really just a bit of a vent, really, kindof off topic...

Hmmm, it's strange that Toyota have finally FORMALLY given us a local branch of TRD so they can boost their image against HSV and FPV, when what they could have done in the first place was continue giving us Cressida's (or whatever they'd refer to them as now) beyond the MX80's series, which sold like hotcakes at the time, were still competitive in their markets despite the age compared to the competition, and are often still proving reliable, with a fair few still running around.

Maybe they could have branded them under the Lexus name - I think it would have been better to give us the JZX90 and JZX100's instead of the glorified (and inferior!) Camry rebranded as the Lexus ES300. The IS-series was a step in the right direction, but they were underpowered as the two-litre 1G-FE, and there was no manual option when they finally released the three-litre 2JZ-GE (and they could have given us the turbo option too). The LS-series, too was great for Toyota - slightly bland and derivative, but no-one else had anything that could compete for the money.

Nissan could have given us... well, we all know the answer to that!

The Aussie car market always seems to go for the soft option, and it's only now that they realise how big an impact the import market is having (even though it's barely a dent in new-car sales), and they're slowly starting to cater for us more. Obviously, we won't get everything they offer due to our small market size (in comparison to the rest of the world), but they really could make more of an effort...

Back on topic - I'm not too sure about the Legnum (nice looking car, etc.) - I'd have one, but I wouldn't BUY one. But I would definitely love an Evo 9 wagon, or that Dodge Magnum, or something similar. I love the stealth look, or something with aggression without being over the top! That's what I'll be aiming for when I modify mine.

haha my 82 cressida! respray in hot metallic pink... neons.. and that is all. came with efi 6, pwr everything... whyd they stop selling em? brilliant cars.

this is just one example.

post-24895-1149069593.jpg