SAU Community

Odometer Rewinding

Hi All,

Just want to know if it is possible for R34's to have their Odo's rewound... The reason being, I have an R34 coming in from Japan at the moment and it has 31,600km's on the clock... and find it hard to believe that a 7 year old car would have done so little k's.

I have no problem knowing that the car may have travelled up near 80,000k or whatever, but just want to know if people have seen the electronic R34 odometer's rewound...

Cheers,

Dave.

I've heard from here and there that the km reading for R34's is stored in the ECU, so the way they "wind them back" is by swapping the ECU for one from a lower km car that's been written off or whatever.

All the dash cluster does is recall the information from the ECU.

Kinda makes sense but I doubt that's how it really works because what happens when you swap the ECU with an aftermarket item?

Do the km's go back to zero?

Anyway, that's what I've heard, but I'm not sure that's really where the km reading is stored, and if it's as simple as swapping ECU's to wind the odo back.

I kinda hope that the ECU is where the km reading is stored so I can find out how many kms my motor really has :ph34r:

(Do I really want to know? :thumbsup:)

Edited by Bluprint

Incorrect

The odo reading is stored in a chip in the cluster unit. Swapping the cluster unit for another will change the number of kms. Its not coded in the ecu. If it was, a power FC change would affect the km reading.

Check the bolts in the dash to see if your cluster has been removed or not

Well my R34 had 41,000 on the odo when i got it.

And one day i decided to take the "Turbo/NEO" engine cover off of it. And on the engine was what looks like a timing belt change sticker and it says 192,000 km on it. I'm not sure if that means it was changed at 192,000 or if it's due for a change again at 192,000.

The interior of the car is pretty damn good though and the engine drivetain and everything else is very smooth and all, so i don't know what the deal is.

Well my R34 had 41,000 on the odo when i got it.

And one day i decided to take the "Turbo/NEO" engine cover off of it. And on the engine was what looks like a timing belt change sticker and it says 192,000 km on it. I'm not sure if that means it was changed at 192,000 or if it's due for a change again at 192,000.

The interior of the car is pretty damn good though and the engine drivetain and everything else is very smooth and all, so i don't know what the deal is.

Sounds like the belt was changed at 92,000km and is due for a replacement at 192,000km. Question is; How amny km's did it do after the change and b4 the odo was wound back? :(

Sounds like the belt was changed at 92,000km and is due for a replacement at 192,000km. Question is; How amny km's did it do after the change and b4 the odo was wound back? :(

You are telling me that they wind back electronic odds, noooooo i think you are mistaken, how can they do that ?

You are telling me that they wind back electronic odds, noooooo i think you are mistaken, how can they do that ?

My mate has an S2000 and it has a electronic odo. He has had it wound back a couple of times.. takes it out gives it to his mate and his mate does some stuff with it reprograms the chip that holds the odo reading probably?

Easier to do, than what you think :D

Easier to do, than what you think :D

Ah realy and i thought they couldnt be done !! How wrong was i . Well it wouldnt be the first time .

One thing at least it stops the amateurs clocking the mechanical oddos and stuffing them up . At least only pros will be able to wind these back. I guess i could be wrong there too .

Yeah i'm a little worried about when it needs to be done. I'm thinking i'll just do it in about 2 years. Still annoying though when you buy a car with 42,000 on it and you find that out, but thats the thing with imports. It drives fantastic so i'm happy.

On the odo thing they can either change the ODO reading or they could just replace the whole dash with a written off one or something. But then the dash serial wouldn't match. But i would think it would be easier to wind back a digital one say over an analouge, cos i hear it's hard to get the numbers to match up all nice on the old style ones.

Most people say (and i would agree) the best way to tell the condition of the car is to just look at it. A car could of done 20,000 km's in japan and only had it's oil changed once in 7 years. Or it could have 100,000 on it but been taken care of by it's owner. Oil changed every 10,000 km allowed to stretch it's legs regulary etc, etc.

Most people say (and i would agree) the best way to tell the condition of the car is to just look at it. A car could of done 20,000 km's in japan and only had it's oil changed once in 7 years. Or it could have 100,000 on it but been taken care of by it's owner. Oil changed every 10,000 km allowed to stretch it's legs regulary etc, etc.
I hope you are changing your oil every 5,000km....

R34's have a service interval 10,000.

The R32's and 33's had 5000.

Just like the s13's were 5000, the s15's are 10,000 or maybe 15,000 (can't quite remember would have to ring my mate up)

R34's have a service interval 10,000.

The R32's and 33's had 5000.

Just like the s13's were 5000, the s15's are 10,000 or maybe 15,000 (can't quite remember would have to ring my mate up)

Do you know that as a fact?

Not much differance, mechanically, from a 33 to a 34. I think all manufacturer recommendation states to change oil every 10,000km, but these cars a getting on with age/wear. As a rule of thumb, i would service any turbocharged car every 5,000km.

Just my opinion.

Do you know that as a fact?

Not much differance, mechanically, from a 33 to a 34. I think all manufacturer recommendation states to change oil every 10,000km, but these cars a getting on with age/wear. As a rule of thumb, i would service any turbocharged car every 5,000km.

Just my opinion.

I agree with the 5000 km rule!

its probly got that many ks original

i would trust it if its shmick in and out

japan isnt very large, and when the cars get to 80,000ks or something you cant use them anymore

I have seen a black R34 GTR go through auction in Japan a few months ago with 212000kms. So the 80000km theory isnt true. I have seen R33 GTR's with 180000kms and so on. Whoever tells you Japan isnt large is telling fibs. I personally did 2500kms there in 1 week and thats just driving around Tokyo and Yokohama. Oh, we did one Hakane trip though and we did get lost very often, damn Navi.

yeah i agree with the service every 5000k's

... and k's is ultimately not a very accurate measurement.. two cars that have done 50,000k's, can be VERY different in condition.. eg. a skyline with an 18 year old driver, still learning to drive a turbo car is going to be FAR worse condition than a 50 y/o skyline enthusiast who takes care of the car from the time it leaves the dealership!

at the end of the day, the only reason you buy a car with less k's is for resale value (unless of course you are one of these low forms of human beings that actually winds odo's back!!). You buy a car mainly on it's condition, not it's km's

hummm I find tha the biggest problem with cars odometer wound back...is the difficulty to identify the kms done on the timing belt...

what if the car has done 120,000km and wind back all the way to 30,000...once timing belt snaps..whole car's a junk...nyways, it's true that you can wind back odemeter...electronic ones,,,

Another "yes you can wind back electronic odometers" story. When I worked at a Ford dealership in 1990 my boss (auto electrical section) had a little gizmo locked in a cupboard where you plugged in the speedo and manually set whatever odometer reading you liked. This was for Fairlanes etc that had the digital odometer readout. This was only when necessary of course, when a customer had a buggered dash and needed replacing. I don't know if you could only set unused odometers with this thing and then it flagged it as unable to be changed, but even if so it'd just be the extra price of a new speedo to have whatever mileage you wanted.

Also about the service interval - I have two R33 owner's manuals here, one says that the oil change interval is 5000km regardless of model, the other says 10000km for turbo models and 15000km for non turbo models. I suspect that the latter is the original, and someone's done an update somewhere along the line to help force people to take care of their cars. I always like to halve the recommended service interval of my vehicles, but I've never seen any factory recommended oil change interval less than 10000km except for motorcycles. If the R33 was originally 5000km it would be a first and I would be surprised. My motorcycle's interval is 6000km and it has a 11000rpm redline.