SAU Community

Redline Lightweight Shockproof Yes Or No?!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's a Bursons nearby go to them, otherwise contact Redline or check the site.

Cheers

got any part number for the 1 you got dan? ill be able to order it at bursons..

msn me if u want

oil world sold me redline gearbox for $100, but that was almost a year ago.

It's funny, you put it in, and don't really notice much difference, it takes about a week to really start working, it must take a while to get into all the gears and what not. or maybe i'm just imagining it!

redline gearbox oil is pretty high on my list of "good mods"

I have had a leaking gearbox reverse switch (i think) for a while now, i really should fix that, it's like liquid gold! $5 a drop

I have used the "blue Smurf" in 2 RB20/30 gearboxes now, boht after developing synchro issues.

The first one spat the mail bearings after 15K Km of use with the red line stuff, but i blame that almost enitrley on a failed spiggot bush.

The second gearbox has only just had it put in, and had immediate improvement.

My 3rd gearbox, which is in another car has Castrol MTX gear oil in it. It is 1/4 of the price and has worked just as well as the blue smurf. It is listed as a motorbike oil, and is quite thin however i was told it was still suitable for this application. My only concern is that the bearings may not love it, but it hasnt been in there long enough to tell. Just another option if your looking for a quick cheap fix.

Brent.

• 1 month later...

So is there any conclusive evidence against Redline oils on new gearboxs/syncros?

This topic really left me undecided because I'm putting in a new box but still with an unknown condition. :

So is there any conclusive evidence against Redline oils on new gearboxs/syncros?

This topic really left me undecided because I'm putting in a new box but still with an unknown condition. :

you mean a second hand box, thats new to your car?

i'd say it'd be fine...unless its just been rebuilt....

The one or two reports that said DON'T USE IT WITH A MINT GEARBOX are enough to put me off. I'll use Motul Gear 300 in my gearbox and diff instead, I reckon. I'll start using Shockproof when my synchros wear out :(

i am currantly running superlight shockproof and find it quite good once its warmed up say a few minutes,very silky shifts,, so yeah i feelit is good:-)

You can actually rate Redline lightweight shockproof as 75w140 but it is build very differently. One of the must have if you are generating big power.

Clink link below for more technical details:

RL lightweight shockproof

Edited by Trex101

The one or two reports that said DON'T USE IT WITH A MINT GEARBOX are enough to put me off. I'll use Motul Gear 300 in my gearbox and diff instead, I reckon. I'll start using Shockproof when my synchros wear out :mad:

Don't use it with a mint gearbox??? Where did u get that from? So if your gear box is fine, you shouldn't use redline oil at all?

Damn it, now I can't decide between Motul and Redline.

I think I'm leaning towards the Redline as a 15 year old gearbox won't be in "mint" condition, more like 50% worn, if not totally stuffed. :happy:

I was under the impression that the consensus seemed to be don't go Redline if your box is new/rebuilt but go for it if the Synchro's are a bit older or a little tired =) I'm still yet to have any problems with it and the box is still noticeably smoother than it was and also eliminated grabbing under WOT through 2nd -> 3rd and 3rd -> 4th. I still need a new clutch and I'm hoping that will be the end of any grabbing through changes all together (as it will still do it occassionally through 4th -> 5th at high RPM.

Cheers

Don't use it with a mint gearbox??? Where did u get that from? So if your gear box is fine, you shouldn't use redline oil at all?

Dont use the shockproof. Its got additives in it to make it a thinner more slipperly oil. Normal non shockproof oil should be ok. Id probably go the castrol or motul stuff tho if your gearbox is in good nick.