SAU Community

Best Way To Run A Motor In

hi guys

i will have my motor assembled and fitted soon (well i better :) ) and i need to run it in.. major things are new bearings and new piston rings.

i've been told that best way to do it is under some load and around 1000km's - but i recall some workshops have a sort of guide such as

0 - 100km - light throttle, 3psi max - no load

100km - 300km - medium throttle 5psi max - slight load

etc etc etc (just an example)

does anyone have any recommendations / breakdown such as this that could help me out?

thanks

-Matt

yeah ive heard running in the motor like that. BUT ive also read this whole article about its better to just drive normaly because something like it bends something into place to fit perfect (maybe rings?) rather then drive soft and it bends the "thing" in the soft posititon then when you hammer it, it isnt in a good position...

OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT!!!

BUT i wouldnt know, sounds like everyones says drive it soft...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This seems harsh. However, this is the approach that I used for my track WRX. I did the first 30km on the street (up to 10psi boost, 1/2 and then full throttle, up to about 5500 revs) and then changed the oil. Did the balance of the run in on the track (12psi boost, full throttle, 6500rpm limit), followed by another oil change. I used mineral oil for the run-in plus two more events, then synthetic (Penrite 25/60). The engine is strong and the rings have bedded-in nicely.

Edited by clayoth

i have also heard of this method - if you do a quick burst and change oil to get rid of fresh grindings etc... then drive it hard and it doesnt break - then it should be all good

my engine builder is erm speak little english but i'll ask him :O

thanks for the links