SAU Community

Replacing Broken R33 Rear Wheel Studs

bangahh

http://www.tygarbyte.com/r33wheelstud.html

Sorry its more of a blog, that i made for my site.

It all started when they tried to take the rims off. I knew I should have waited to get afermarket rims from Japan instead of going cheapo. Well anyways the Tyre shop snapped one wheel stud trying to get it off, I would have done the same thing if i tried to take it off myself, so I just have to put on a smile and curse myself on the inside. I have had it happen when I first purchased the Rims, but I wont be going back there to do business.

brokenstuds.jpg

Snapped stud in lug nut , snapped studs and rounded stud.

Well I ended up fixing this myself, This is my first time so it was quite simple really but I had to change three studs and took me a whole day, but i got side tracked. However if you focus on the task - it should take only 2 hrs max. I snapped another stud trying to take it off.

Take off your tyres, then your rear brake, then the disk. The disk might be stuck, but you just have to give it a good hit to losen it. Make sure that you have the car on a level surface as the hand brakes need to be off or else you wont be able to take the brakes off :-). So I chocked the front two wheels with bricks to stop it from moving.

rearstuds.jpg

Because you have to rotate the wheels to line up with the gap so that you can remove the broken studs. Hence both rear wheels need to be jacked up, so I ended getting another jack on the other side. It is also easier to turn the other tyre to line up the gaps.

holealign1.jpg

Once you have lined the stud up with the gap behind you can hit it, so that it pops out, you may need a bit of force. Putting the studs in, you have to use this gap to get the new studs in also.

You can get the parts from any spare parts shop. I got mine from

Mekong Auto Spares 02 9724 0691

Canley Vale - Motor Replacement Parts

Part number NS457 - Price $4 each stud. I can confirm that these fit on the rears of my R33 S1 GTsT.

chart1.jpg

To install the wheel studs, line it up in the gap and use some washers and then tighten it up. Make sure that you have lined it up straight or else it wont fit, it doesnt hurt to put some grease and WD40. Then just tighten the nut untill it pulls the stud into place. ( Drop the other rear wheel so that it has traction, making it easier to tighten )

install1.jpg

install2.jpg

install3.jpg

Once all studs and back in, just put your disk, brakes and tyres back on. Just a tip that I got - putting a bit of grease on the studs stops the studs from flaking and helps stop the nuts from seizing up.

• 1 year later...

thanks for the good guide :fakenopic: but in changing my broken studs the other guides which i needed with there pics where

REMOVING THE DISC

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...amp;hl=rear+hub

other things i found helpful for this job

i didnt have any washers big enough for the job so i used a ring nut end of my spanner to space it out to do up my bolts so they were in firm then put the disc and wheel back on tighted it all up with a wheel brace .

just keep goin till you feel it go tight then take your wheel and disc to check they are up tight

dont drop you bolt in the bottom of the drum its a pain to get out :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...