SAU Community

How Do U Inspect A Clutch?

hey guys im gna go and buy a 2nd hand hks tripple plate clutch + lightend flywheel from this guy this week. but ive got no clutch knowledge. how can u tell how much meat the clutch has and if its on its way out?... any pics would be great! im sure other ppl wana kno this too :thanks:

be slow on technical terms too please :laugh: thanks!

you need to measure the thickness of the plates and compare how thick they are now, to how thick they are brand new (need to find this out). you will need a set of verniers to do it.

I bought a second hand twin plate oz giken clutch and the mechanic i went to just compared it to another one he had there with half decent plates on it. If there is another decent plate you can compare it to with some vernier calipers go for it, otherwise just make sure it's not paper thin.

If i remember correctly, put the thiner plates furthest away from the flywheel to make it last as long as possible.

edit: beaten dam it!!

Edited by jantolis

oh, and personally i wouldnt bother with the second hand clutch unless it is very cheap. the biggest cost is putting the thing in (unless you can do it yourself) so either way you dont want to be pulling it out again soon.

i bought mine as advertised 95% new, and it had 95% meat left on it. The guys sent it off to be checked, and the metal plates were bent 40 thou, and it required a new bearing carrier.

I was lucky as it cost $450 to recon, and the guy i bought it off refunded the cost to get it fixed.

if you want to be sure, take it to a good clutch place to look at and confirm its condition before purchase :woot:

700 is cheap. it's not a big deal to replace plates, pressure plate etc. e.g. go to otomoto - you'll have to google the addrress.

full rebuild including everythning for an OSG twin is about 1.2k. those things cost about 3k new. so even if the whole thing is totally shagged, you're getting a brand new one for 2k. not bad.

chances are its not totally dead like a door knob and you'll still get good use out of it.

even if the plates have 50% left, it'll last a while. those things are pretty strong unless you're burnout boy and drop the clutch everyday.

dont! i nearly did and drove one with one fitted and didnt like it at all and cost of rebuilding them. i ended up getting a exxedy single plate and lightened stainless flywheel for $1500 and it is awesome!!! never slipped even at 7500rpm launches with over 600rwhp! just lights up all 4 is 1st 2nd and 3rd, never tried 4th or 5th. and is only a few hundred 2 rebuild. if ur gonna drift get a twin or tripple, but u have a gtr.

interesting. yeah ive looked at the jim berry clutches, however i cant have my car in a workshop while the clutch gets rebuilt. as its my daily driver.. do u guy recommend buying a 2nd hand clutch then doin the JB clutch?. and can anyone recommend a cheap place to install in sydney? thanks guys! i think im gna stir away from the hks clutch :)

Also for about 1200 could just buy a full monty Jim Berry speical single plate clutch

Have you used that clutch? Or have any handy info in it?

Its rebuild/replace time for mine this week