SAU Community

Dyno Tuning

hi guys,

As I've never seen a car being dynoed before, and i want to dyno mine within the next month(after i put all the gear in it, because its a completely stock 97 gtst skyline at the moment).

what i want to know is, with my mods:

FMIC

2 Stage Boost Controller (7/12 psi)

Apexi Pod filter

3" turbo back exhaust with 3'' hi flow cat

Stock ECU

Stock Turbo

hks ss bov

pineapples

what exactly can the tuner actually tune on the dyno?

is it worth going to just get my rwkw reading, if thats all they can do with my mods?

..or should i buy a safc before i hit the dyno?

thanks for your help, im just a newbie on dyno tunes, and i want to know more about them, as i am planning to go for one really soon!

Hi BATMBL, a good dyno run will tell you a lot of things, aside from doing any tuning. Stuff like;

1) the air fuel ratios OK at all rpm's and boost levels,

too lean and you risk burning a hole in a piston

too rich and you are loosing power

too rich and you are wasting petrol and money

2) is the ignition timing optimised

too advanced and you risk detomation

too retarded and you are loosing power

3) is the fuel pump keeping up with the engines requirements

4) is the fuel filter restrictive (dirty)

5) establish the current power output of the engine

6) help plan future modifications or any repairs required

As for tuning, the static ignition can be adjusted and any faults detected can be either eliminated (eg; new fuel filter) or actions taken to avoid the consequences (eg; turn the boost down until a bigger fuel pump is fitted).

Over all a very worth while thing to do.

Personally I'd replace the oil, oil filter, fuel filter and plugs and check plug gap before getting it on the dyno. All of these things are a couple hour job all up, and should be part of your normal servicing anyway.

Then at least you can eliminate some of those things as restricting anything and get best possible idea of what needs to be upgraded next.

thanks for all your help!

turbomad,

yeh i thought i might need it, since im sure i'll be running too rich, thanks :)

sydneykid,

really detailed mate, helps A LOT, thanks!

edge,

i was thinking at going to the place where benm took it(unigroup.com.au), bcoz he says they know their stuff and are very helpful, and there has been dyno days organised there from people of this forum. also by what benm said, they are good with their pricing too!

predator666,

my car is going to have all those things serviced definately, and have them serviced regularly too! the only thing im not sure about is the plug gap thing, is that on the spark plug at the front, where there is like an 'L shaped rod over the circle thingee' (lol), and you measure the gap in between them. (i didnt realise a mm difference in the gap can make such a difference?)

thanks again guys!!

Yup I'd recommend www.unigroup.com.au they are fair dinkum fella's and treat everyone quite well.

When I eventually get my PowerFC it'll be the first place I go for assistance and tuning.

Not sure on the prices for actual tuning (only ever done the $40 3x power runs) but you get what you pay for these days and decent tuners certainly won't be the cheapest.

Im sure another SAU Day or Silva or whateva dyno day will be held in another 2-3mths.

Hopefully by then i'll have my cams in.

Ben's right (you don't know how it hurts whenever i say that) :D

Yavuz and the guys out there at UGE are GREAT tuners. If you have some specific questions as to what you should do before hand, call them or even pm Ustasa on this forum and he'll tell ya.

Their pricing is spot on when you consider what others offer for the money/hour etc. Their wealth of experience and knowledge in tuning performance cars is invaluable to me and many others that use them regularly.

If you need any more convincing that these guys are the bomb, ask QIK78U, Merli, Benm, Brendanf etc....

Adrian.