SAU Community

Someone Please Help

Hi i have a 1998 nissan skyline r34 sedan non tubo, tip tronic transmission. This orange light comes up in the top right hand corner of the dash, the closest shape that it looks like is a square with a orange lining. I dont know what this warning sign is. It use to come on before but i wouldnt notice anything in the car i would just drive and in about 30sec it would turn off. Tonigh it came on again and the car lost power, i got outside and the exhaust sounded funny like it was struggling, but the rpm inside the car was normal. I turned the car off and waited like 30 seconds turned it back on and the problem was gone. I dont know whats happening could anyone give me some kind of clue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

THX

ALEX

does it look like a square with squiggly lines above? like heat/stink lines? if so it could be cat overheat sensor alert. ie: the cat conveter may be blocked if it is in fact this warning. take a photo of the light with a camera phone and post up the pic.

post-29129-1148050679.jpg

does it look like a square with squiggly lines above? like heat/stink lines? if so it could be cat overheat sensor alert. ie: the cat conveter may be blocked if it is in fact this warning. take a photo of the light with a camera phone and post up the pic.

Oh lucky here i found a picture of it on carsales, this picture was taken just before u turn on the car this sign does come up then, but it shouldnt come up when the car is working like it does on myne. Iver edited the picture a bit in photoshop so u know exactly what im talking about.

post-29129-1148050679.jpg

Oh lucky here i found a picture of it on carsales, this picture was taken just before u turn on the car this sign does come up then, but it shouldnt come up when the car is working like it does on myne. Iver edited the picture a bit in photoshop so u know exactly what im talking about.

Hi,

That's your engine warning light.

If your engine warning light is coming on the ECU is recognising a problem.

Could be a number of things. Suggest you get it diagnosed on a Nissan Consult to find the fault.

Cheers

Jo

Hi,

That's your engine warning light.

If your engine warning light is coming on the ECU is recognising a problem.

Could be a number of things. Suggest you get it diagnosed on a Nissan Consult to find the fault.

Cheers

Jo

Oh ok, thats what i thought it was, thank you very much, ill have it diagnosed asap.

DOes this light Blinks? in sequence? when you start ignition (not the engine)...

I'll have a look in service manual, let you know.

but your local nissan dealer should have dignostic tool and should be able to connect up with your ECU.

cheers

Glue

DOes this light Blinks? in sequence? when you start ignition (not the engine)...

I'll have a look in service manual, let you know.

but your local nissan dealer should have dignostic tool and should be able to connect up with your ECU.

cheers

Glue

Yeah im taking it in as soon as i can, cause it could be nothing but it could be everything. And i cant sleep on that. Um nah it doesnt blink, when u turn the key to arm, so all the lights and shit come up, all the lights stay on except i think after like 5 seconds the airbag one goes off. Then i turn on the car and all the lights go off, except like the door and handbrake light. When the problem occur the light doesnt blink it just turns on and stays on and after a while it would turn off, it never use to cause a problem so i didnt think to much of it. But last night the car lost power and the exhaust sounded dead and now im worried, but drove the car today running just like it does any other day. Im only putting caltex vortex which is unleaded 95 i dont think i need the Ron98 because its not turbo, so i dont think its from the fuel. So yeah im stumpped im gonna take it to nissan as soon as i can so they can tell me because this is killing me, it would kill me more if they couldnt find anything.

Thx

Alex

10:1 chance it's coil packs, you'll get a non-sequential igniton firing error when they check it.

If you need a replacement set of packs I've got some in the for sale section all 6 for $250, Nissan will try and hit you up at $250 per pack or something stupid.

10:1 chance it's coil packs, you'll get a non-sequential igniton firing error when they check it.

If you need a replacement set of packs I've got some in the for sale section all 6 for $250, Nissan will try and hit you up at $250 per pack or something stupid.

Ahh yeah i never had any intention of buying it from nissan. Your the second person now that thinks its the coil packs, would it be possible just to buy the amount that require changing from you, or are you only selling all 6 together.

Ahh yeah i never had any intention of buying it from nissan. Your the second person now that thinks its the coil packs, would it be possible just to buy the amount that require changing from you, or are you only selling all 6 together.

I'm only selling a complete set sorry. You may find it extremely difficult to detect which ones are actually playing up. My previous R34 had them randomly go, at a rate of about 1 a week, in the end I had replaced 5 to get it running normally again.

They tend to only show the problem when at operating temp, so removing them to check is pointless as you never actually find which one is broken.

I'm only selling a complete set sorry. You may find it extremely difficult to detect which ones are actually playing up. My previous R34 had them randomly go, at a rate of about 1 a week, in the end I had replaced 5 to get it running normally again.

They tend to only show the problem when at operating temp, so removing them to check is pointless as you never actually find which one is broken.

Oh ok, well then ill buy all 6 it will save me alot of headache aches. Um as soon as i get it checked out on their consul, ill let you know and then we can arrange something, my email adress is [email protected] so if you wanna send me your email adress it will be easier to keep in contact that way.

Thx

Alex

Sorry to hijack the topic, but since we're on the same topic I was wondering if anyone can tell me how long will the stock coilpack last. Cause Ive noticed that this is a common problem with R34s, I was thinking of ordering a set of spitfire coil pack before it happans.

Cheers

Sorry to hijack the topic, but since we're on the same topic I was wondering if anyone can tell me how long will the stock coilpack last. Cause Ive noticed that this is a common problem with R34s, I was thinking of ordering a set of spitfire coil pack before it happans.

Cheers

Um i dont think it is actually possible to give an estimate, i believe it all depends, issues such as engine car, how you drive your car and all that stuff will probably contribute. My car has 100,00 k on the clock and now is the first time that the coil packs have gone, however, i dont know if they were priviously changed in japan, but i doubt it.

• 2 weeks later...

My ones on my previous R34 went at almost dead on 100,000kms (in-built timers? lol)

My current car I just replaced them with splitfires before I wound the boost up so I just would never get the same problem again.

• 3 weeks later...

also

check the boost sensor plug near the back of the cam cover..the one that is bolted to the firewall sort of... anyways the plug could just be loose.

plug it back in

i left mine not plugged in

tried to drive

not much power

light on

got out

popped bonnet

plugged back in

walla solved