SAU Community

Cruise Accident

Nightcrawler

OK. Sorry I only had time to check the forums now, but was shocked but also inspired to see the concern and support from the skyline community for fellow member Drew and those involved.

Now bear with me..this is gonna be a pretty long rant and rave but I feel it is necessary to help us all think about what happened..and how lucky some of us had been.

My view how it happened:

It was medium paced cruise up to the meet point in strathalbyn, of which we all enjoyed up to that point. Then the leg home seemed a straight forward affair with a trip through to mount barker then a freeway home. As we were pulling off the curb, a police paddy wagon pulled out of a side street which seperated half the guys. So we all paused for 15 secs to allow him to pass and turn right at the round about. We all proceeded to turn left and on the way home. Now everything leading up to the crash is pretty fuzzy in my mind and let me know if I miss things here ok guys.. But I'll fast forward to the important section.---> I was travelling behind busky and could see that road was to split into an overtaking lane. You could see all the way up the hill and vice versa, it had started spitting down, so we all knew not to push it hard when overtaking. The next thing I know I see Drews skyline brakes light up and then the crash with festiva and his car spinning.

I immediately stopped and just bolted towards the cars.In fact, not thinking of our own safety all of us did.

One of the SES guys on the cruise took control of the situation and called out for us to stay away from the vehicles. He then said " I need one person to call the ambulance, one person to call the police and one person to call the fire brigade." He then tended to the injured.

I called 000, and then they directed me to the right STATE, then talked to me through.. the guy on the phone asked me where I was.. ( I didn't know exactly ) and which road I was on and which direction. Then he asked how many cars and how many persons trapped or injured. I said what I could but in the end handed the phone over to the SES guy. He knew the drill so well.. and got the vital info to the operator.

The other SES guy was tending to the victims too.

I clearly remember one of the guys asking for a plastic bag then seeing a guy take off his jumper and shirt to give them to stop the bleeding I think. After the initial confusion and shock of the first 5 minutes they assessed the safety of the site and proceeded to direct the traffic.

There was nothing more we could do but wait for help.....

A few thoughts and reflection:

Now looking back, I feel that it was a matter of divine intervention for some of us and not for others. IF that police wagon hadn't delayed our departure momentarily, I could only assume that it would have been either busky or myself involved instead. Busky was saying to me how he was about to overtake Night Crawler when the accident occured, and I would have surely followed.

I had my girlfriend and her little brother as well as Nozilla in my car, so I too thank god for not being involved. But in saying so I do not wish it to happend to anyone else either. We wanted to stay but were told to go, but in all fairness, there was not much we could do but pray that all involved were ok. The car ride home was eerily quiet, with us all trying to digest what had happened.

Unless you were there you probably wont comprehend the magnitude of the situation let alone the importance of having leaders with knowledge and skill. Without a doubt in my mind, the 2 SES guys that came on the cruise made a hell of a difference and I'd say they are welcome to any cruise I come on.

In the Today's paper, the news only made it to page 8. To me it seems more like a brief mention and had less coverage than the divorce of Greg Norman. It also mentions that 4 nissan skylines were travelling north at the time. To me this only highlighted to the public the bad press that imports already have at the moment.

The report on the news was also similar with images of the skyline shown and it briefly mentioning that it was a head on collision. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like imports aren't liked in the media.

I wish none of it had happened, but it did. To Drew, I hope u recover quick mate.

The media will always hone in on a fact that will help them sell the story more, even when I read "4 skylines travelling north" I think "they were racing each other!"

That is the media for you. But hey at the end of the day we all know the truth so bugger the rest of them I say!.

And anyway, no one will remember in a weeks time about 4 skylines going up a hill, so don't be concerned to much.

p.s. I have travelled the said road 100's of times over the years, and on more than one occasion I have seen cars in that lane heading towards Strath ..they just fly straight by, like they own that lane.. I kid you not. It usually happens the most on the real steep part after the train lines.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This was my first cruise with you guys and it was a real sad way to end the day, but everyone pitched in and looked out for each other and I will definitely come out again with you guys. A top bunch of people.

Can someone pm me with details to visit drew also and perhaps we can go in small groups on different days so as not to crowd him and his family. Thanks to all.

you guys may want to contact someone first in his family make sure its ok. i know i was none of your fault but emotional people can be cridical. dont want to cause stir in hospital

just a thought

you guys may want to contact someone first in his family make sure its ok. i know i was none of your fault but emotional people can be cridical. dont want to cause stir in hospital

just a thought

Good call Skipppy. The last thing you want to do is cause more grief to his family.

Good news about Drew, just got off the phone to FMC, he is out of emergancy and is going to be ok! The person i spoke with said "he will make a full recovery"!!

I asked about visiting him but he cannot see anyone today and I was told to "call back tomorrow"....

I had no luck getting any infomation about Jasmin as i didnt know her last name.....

Good news about Drew, just got off the phone to FMC, he is out of emergancy and is going to be ok! The person i spoke with said "he will make a full recovery"!!

I asked about visiting him but he cannot see anyone today and I was told to "call back tomorrow"....

I had no luck getting any infomation about Jasmin as i didnt know her last name.....

That is fantastic news!. Let's hope Jasmin is ok also so atleast there can be some more happiness in what is a tragic story.

Awesome news.. Exactly what we want to hear.

On the note of good news I was cruising behind that dude who had a brick/rock thrown through his front window down on Hub drive a while back when there was that spate of some idiot throwing rocks at passing cars.

You may all remember his little red Mazda Familia. His number plates incidently are state 'Rock on' :thumbsup:

Good to see he's all well now too.

Awesome news.. Exactly what we want to hear.

On the note of good news I was cruising behind that dude who had a brick/rock thrown through his front window down on Hub drive a while back when there was that spate of some idiot throwing rocks at passing cars.

You may all remember his little red Mazda Familia. His number plates incidently are state 'Rock on' :thumbsup:

Good to see he's all well now too.

I think I saw that in the paper, that was an amazing story. His mates on the Familia forums all chipped in to rebuild his car!. Stuff like that is very inspirational to hear.

Condolences to those related to the driver of the green festiva, heart goes out to the girl friend. Wishing Drew a speedy recovery and big thanks to those that helped in the situation.

Edited by DC_GTST

Well I am shocked as well it is always horrible when something like this happens and that we are human and will make mistakes I hope everyone involved will recovery and not go off cruising.

So sorry to hear this happened

Fantasic news peoples...... even tho i was not there, I am feeling for everyone that was, Had a mate in a similar incident a few years back and know what it's like, I believe a BBQ is a great idea, but when Drew is back on his feet!

wow, this was the last thing that i expected to read when coming on here today, the only reason i missed this cruise was because i had left my interior light on the night before which made my battery go flat, maybe it was a sign?

Anyway RIP to the driver of the festiva and i hope drew recovers quickyly and is out driving again shortly!