SAU Community

"A-LSD"?? are they common on R33 Series 2s?

Guest one8tee

Guest one8tee

Hello everyone, I've finally acquired an R33 GTS-t Series 2(saving up for that GT-R):D

Been surfing the forum for awhile now, but I can't seem to find much info on this "A-LSD" thingy. It's in the speedo, next to the word "Slip". I heard from some people that it's some form of traction control for the R33.

Anybody out there encountered this before? Any feedback on it's good/bad points? Can it be turned off??

Thanks.

PS:Also I've noticed there's not alot of bodykit options for the Series II(from what I've seen), especially for the front-bar. So would any series 2 owner out there care to shed some ideas?

cheers all.

and LSD is a LIMITED SLIP DIFF

it makes it so both wheels spin. therfore putting more power to the ground.

its not electrong and its not traction control(ignition cut), authough it does control wheelspin.

all r33 gtst's have lsd's

most commodores have open center diffs which means only one wheel will spin.

main reason ppl think their commodores are tough. (wheel spinning)

the lsd enables u to put power more evenly to both wheels authough it is not 50:50 power.

if u wanted 50:50 u woudl have to look into a weld job or mini spool or full spool or detroit locker.

i have both active lsd and slip... i am pretty sure they both come together and are very very rare on all r33's apart from gtrs. the slip indicator light comes on when the rear wheels lose the slightest bit of traction, even before you can feel it. It is not traction control, traction control backs off the throttle to help regain traction this simple lets you know that u either are losing traction or have no traction.

Motox was pretty good with his explination however i think he missed a point where the active lsd enables one wheel(i think thi is correct) to spin faster then the other one thus puting more power to one side of the car this is extreemly helpful when the back goes out. You dont even have to really fight with the steering the car just pulls itself in rather easily.

And also if you want to see how special you are have a look inside your boot on the right hand side, you'll have a little resivour(spelling???) for the alsd which other r33s wont have :D and also have a look under the back of your car then have a look under someone elses car who doesnt have these features their car will look bare compared to yours. :D

Guest one8tee

Just found out the 'A' stands for Active, which means Active-LSD? If that means anything more.

Yeah I reckon they are pretty rare on R33s, as this is the first one I've seen with it.

i already know the a stands for active lsd do a search on this, ive started a threrad about this before... it is extremely rare ive heard it was a feature which cost an extra 15k but im not sure how true that is.... anyway you are very lucky to have these features as am i! :P

My R33's door lock when i shift my gear to 2nd, is that a safety shit or some thing wrong with my car?[/quote

do a search on this topic!!!!!, what does that have to do with this subject, and also it doesnt do it when u shift into second it does at when u hit 25km/h it is for safety obviously!

if your unsure start a new thread but dont whore others

A-LSD: As already explained, stands for Active Limited Slip Differential. It's the same system as used on the GT-R.

In a nut shell it uses a computer controlled rear limited slip diff that transfers a percentage of power from left rear to right rear or visa versa as required, thus maintaining best possible traction.

A-LSD wasn't so much an extra 15k cost option but rather a different spec of car on top of the GTS25t (this is for S2, S1 not sure?). When I get a chance I'll look up my R33 S2 price guide. I've got the new car prices (in Yen) from bottom of the range through to N1. The A-LSD GTS25t is listed above the GTS25t & IS dearer. I'm pretty sure it's not 15k dearer though!?

As akeenan posted above, the passenger door lock function is a standard safety feature. When the car exceeds 25km/h it locks.

I HAVE ONE OF THESE!

Don't break the diff.. It's extremely hard to get a replacement and extremely expensive to fix. Seeming they are soo rare no one really knows alot about them. I have been informed they are basically a GTR diff with different ratios. SOO... I have just opted to get the diff in my car fixed.

I see the slip light come on fairly often :angel: ... But never really seen the A-LSD light... Is this good or bad? :confused:

It looks pretty tough but when someone is in the car for the first time and the wheels spin and the light comes in. Straight away their question is "What... thats soo rhad?!@" ... I just shrug cause I'm used to it now :)

Oh yeah.. BTW my car is a series one with quite a few series two bits.

Originally posted by GTS-t VSPEC

The A-LSD light should only come on if there is a problem with it.

My series 1 has it, it's a cool feature, makes you braver when cornering fast, as you are sure the back-end will correct itself.

See'ya:burnout:

it also comes on when you get it majorly sideways. :(

mates 33 in perth also has it.. i read somewhere there were only 100 released, it seems there's a few people on here with them though.

Shaun

OK this is from the original 96-97 Nissan pricing info:

Coupe:

*NOTE* - Type M means turbo (it isn't an up spec version of the GTS25t!)

GTS25t Type M 5sp - 2,916,000y

GTS25t Type M Auto - 3,013,000y

GTS25t A-LSD (5sp only) - 3,196,000y

Interestingly enough the GTS25 Type S Auto (RB25DE) was more expensive than the Type M 5sp (RB25DET) @ 2,928,000y !

97 GT-R N1 - 6,096,000y

4 Doors:

GTS25t Type M 5sp - 3,225,000y

GTS25t Type M Auto - 3,322,000y

GTS25 Type S Auto - 2,850,000y

The GTS25t A-LSD Type M (that's how it's listed!) is heavy than the GTS25t 5sp or auto (1370kg - 5sp 1390kg - auto 1400kg -A-LSD 5sp) It also came standard with 205/55/16 F 225/50/16 R.

S1's (93-94) & S1.5's (95 models) with the A-LSD I have no info?

My 9/94 model doesn't have the A-LSD but it does have ABS :(