SAU Community

Engine Makes Kind Of Rattly Noise Just Above Idle.

hayden49

Hey guys,

as stated my car makes kind of a rattle noise when i rev the car just a bit over idle but the noise goes away probably at 1700rpms.

the engine sounds fine then it kinda goes *dud dud dud dud dud* but really fast, almost sounds like a bearing is gone in the cam cover.

a freind of mine said he was looking at a gtr and the owner said the noise was fine.

the car is a 96 rr33 gt-st.

any thoughts?

cheers

Possibly the cam belt is a little loose? My GTR made a similar noise that i coulda sworn was coming from the engine, Benno @ Racepace fixed it in about 10mins when it was there for other work. :P

that happend to me i had the exact problem it was my timeing belt it takes a while to get to but if that snaps man i wouldent want to be u on the top of the engin at the front there should be a sticker the last time the timing belt was changed mine wasent changed at all from when it was made im glad i did now it runs a bit better and no nise any more it cost me 225 for timing belt and to install it as well because i got some other stuff done as well to it witch lowed to labour cost

Mine was the same, while the engine's running put your hand on the top of the belt cover. if you can feel a throbbing then it's the timing belt hitting the top of the cover.

Yeah i have felt that, and when i rev it by pulling on the throttle it gets louder then goes away after a certain rpm.

im buying a cooler and boost controler etc and i was gonna boost it to 12psi but i think ill wait till i get the belt changed.

hoping to have it done in a couple of weeks.

ill get him to do the full 100k service.

anyone know how much im looking at?

cheers

Mine cost somewhere around $400-500, but that was because the idiots at my local nissan dealer decided it was a good idea to take off the front bar, drain the cooling system, remove the radiator, change the belt and tensioner arm (i had asked for that), and then replace my radiator fluid with expensive nissan branded stuff. This isn't really helping but i'm just venting frustrations - originally they had quoted me about $200 or so.

• 10 months later...

Hi i think i have this same problem, Cam belt was changed 2 months ago, last couple weeks i have developed a rattle just above idle but only when cold, the noise is deff coming from the timing belt cover,

have attached recording, is this the same problem? any ideas on how to resolve?

(have searched many skyline forums and this seems to be closest to the problem)

Cheers

Dazzler

Recording3.wav

P.s sorry about the old thread... couldent find much else on this...

Edited by Dazzler22

Mine cost somewhere around $400-500, but that was because the idiots at my local nissan dealer decided it was a good idea to take off the front bar, drain the cooling system, remove the radiator, change the belt and tensioner arm (i had asked for that), and then replace my radiator fluid with expensive nissan branded stuff. This isn't really helping but i'm just venting frustrations - originally they had quoted me about $200 or so.

How else would u change the timing belt