SAU Community

Turbo Making Whining Noise, Anyone Know What It Is?

I've got an R33 GTST s2, stock except for exhaust. It's done 100,000km.

This only happens if I boost it a little bit (i.e. the turbo gets hot, I assume), and then I let it cool down some, and put the throttle down 'enough' to get some air going through the turbo (say 0psi or more on the boost guage, I guess). It might only take a few minutes of idling to get 'cool enough' to make the noise, or I could have left the car off for an hour and start it up, and it's there.

The noise is a high, constant pitch whine. It goes away once the turbo warms up again.

I've asked mates, nobody seems to have a clue, and searches didnt turn up anything.

Help much appreciated :)

doesnt Nissan say that at around the 100k mark Turbo should be rebuilt or replaced

The manual doesn't specify... this would be good to know.

It would probably be better to replace the turbo than have it rebuilt, no? Few hundred for a used one, hate to think how much labor would be for a rebuild...

GCG highflow $1900 for them to do your turbo, buts that you taking it off and sending it to them. Its not taht hard to take your turbo off, just fiddley and time cosuming (especialy if you snap any bolts), good luck. The turbo could last another 100k but who knows. It might not even be the bearings making the noise, have checked all your hose connections make sure there not loose.

I had similar problem, whinning noise when on boost. turned out to be leaking connection between return pipe and stock cooler. only realised this when it blew the dam thing off one night. check all ur piping connections probly just air escaping somewhere