SAU Community

R32 Gts4 Into A Gtr?

heyyas....

I have been discussing plans with a friend of mine to build an R32. Due to insurance reasons, she cant have a GTR, but a modified GTS-t is ok.

My plan was to get an R32 GTS4 (the GTS-t, rb20 awd...I think they are a GTS-4?), and fit an Rb26 along with the GTR front sump and diff, r32 GTR gearbox, GTR rear diff and all GTR brakes.

She already has a wide body kit lined up for a GTS-t, so it will look the goods, and anything else to make it look GTR ish is easy.

The insurance have said it is ok as it will be insured as a Modified GTS4, not as a GTR....Go figure!

So my question is, are there anyother traps I need to be aware of? are the cross members different? I am choosing a GTS4 as the attessa gear will already be there, making it easier.

Any thoughts? Thankyou.

without delving into the texts, there's a fair bit more to it to get to a gtr. and the cost?

just to clarify - she cant have a gtr or the insurance cost is prohibitive?

the mods you describe are not cheap - ie thousands... is that really cheaper than insuring thru her parents or paying a higher premium/excess?

i've seen several links of people wanting to turn a gts or gtt into a gtr, and while i guess if you're determined it could be done, at what cost???

to pick up an rb26 in reasonable nick you're looking at min $5000 - for something trick your talking $10 - 15k, add the drivetrain, brakes, conversion cost etc is it really worth it? will she really be able to appreciate the difference? (no offence to the driver, but seems like an awfully big spend - given the insurance issue, i'm guessing she may be a young driver)

if you've already got (or looking at) a gts4, then why not just spend a few $$$ on extracting reasonable hp from the original donk - avoid relicensing/engineering certificates etc. there's plenty of people who can help you get good bang from an rb20. i think that while the gts4 has an atessa system it is not the same tech spec as in a gtr - not sure on this part.

honestly, do the dollars stack up ?