SAU Community

my first upgrades....

Hi guys

I have a 95 GTST Auto (boo I hear you say)

It's a daily driver, but I am keen to draw some cheap (ish) power from it.

I have decided to go with the usual bleed valve (along with a gauge so I don't fry the donk) boost it to around 10 psi.

What would be the next step? Is there any point in getting a 3" dump pipe - but connect it up to the std exhaust?

I have heard that the hotter gases need more room to move, so going from 3" to 2.25 (or whatever the std is) maye not cause the restriction?

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Brett

Deffinetly from here you would go with:

* A'Pexi / HKS Pod Filter

* Pod Filter Box with a cold air feed (also so u dont get a yellow canary)

* FULL Exhaust system

That will add around 10-15% more power instantly. It will also make your car sound alittle nicer.

This'll cost you in the low $1300-1500.

*Full zorst (not real cheap but, very good for $$$). +20HP @ motor.

*Bleeder valve set to 10psi

* K&N panel filter in the std airbox (no defects and just as good as a partitioned pod filter for power). +5HP @ motor.

* Remove the panel behind the stock intercooler for better air flow.

* thermal cover the 'hot pipe' from the turbo to the intercooler. And wrap the new dump pipe in thermal tape.

Yes there is a point to doing the dump pipe first even if it's a 3 inch dump into a 2.25 inch std pipe. You can always do the rest of the zorst later when you have the money.

Hi Guys...

this is my first reply to any forum...(be nice)

I've JUST got a full stainless 3 inch system off the turbo on my totally stock R33 - besides a K&N filter element change.

Bottom line...I think its loud and can get really annoying when sitting in traffic with people staring at you and closing their windows...

I didn't realise I would lose so much of my subtleness by upgrading my exhaust...

All of the boyz love the sound of it, but its not really my thing...

is there something I can put on it to keep the low end bass note down ???

Its got a hot dog and a straight through muffler...

I have a 3.5inch dump which narrows to 3inches (Exhaust Technology) just before the 3inch cat, then through the first then the second muffler and out the tip (3inch stainless cat back, JASMA). This system is quiet and has a nice low humming sound to it at idle. I have heard other systems (on GTS25t's) which have a loud crackly sound.

The other day as i got out of my car i actually had someone come up to me and comment how nice and quiet it was. Obviously he had heard a lot of loud and crackly skylines aswell. What i am trying to get at here is go the twin muffler system (in series) since it is much more comfortable on the ears and the canary collection. I should know i used to have a RX7 ser3 with 12A (large carby) and an almost straight through 2.5inch press bend exhaust. I still get a headache thinking about the loud crackling sound it made when revved.

You should easily be able to pick up a Jasma cat back unit cheap and then take it to an exhaust place and get them to make up a mild steel dump pipe.

I've had it for a few days now and have had non stop headaches...

I have had to change my whole driving standard to make the revs stay out of the 2.5-3.5K RPM rev range, as this is when the constant bass of it gets to me...

I am interested in a cheap mod to minimise this or even better - eliminate it...without spending much more money, nor with going backwards too far...

any suggestions would be appreciated...

Am thinking about adding something in the straight piping between the cat and the straight-through resonator...it would seem to be the place to add something - but I haven't checked for room in an under-body cavity yet...

How can u tell if u have an aftermarket front/pipe. My car is extremly loud at idle, (only cat and rear muffler), and my reasoning is that theres only a rear muffler. What is the diameter of the stock front pipe, or has anyone got a photo of it so i can compare mine to the stock one.

Guest Sir Bean

EnricoPalazzo and others.

The material of the exhaust HAS signifiance to the sound an exhaust makes.

I have had experience with exhaust systems in V8s and turbo vehicles, and the difference in most cases is very noticable.

Stainless tends to exude a more metallic sound, whereas mild steel tends to create a more rounded sound.

This is due to the inherent resonance of the material and the way sound waves are reflected and absorbed by the material.

I know it is difficult to describe noices like these, but those who know the difference will understand. Others will have to use their imagination.

My descriptions of the noises may be wrong to some, but the fact remains that stainless steel and mild steel generate different sounds in an exhaust system.

Bean.

yeah I think my FGK is the Ti version,only the tip is titainium by the looks. At least when I backed into a reatining wall of concreted rocks the tip smashed a huge chunk out and didn't even scratch!