SAU Community

New Pb Low 12's R33 Gtst Street Driven

Robo's

Just got back from Calder after a good night, best time was a 12.16@116mph with a 60' of 1.888. This is my daily driven car with no other mods than driven on the street.

Was desperately trying for an 11 but traction was the issue, everytime i tried to go off a little harder i would fry the tyres and the 60's would suffer. Tyres are Toyo's RA1.

Looks like i will have to get some slicks to run a 11.

Looks like i will have to get some slicks to run a 11.

Come on mate - you know what tyres to buy to run that 11 and they're sure as shit not slicks! :(

a 1.75 60' will run that 11.90 you're after.

Adrian

Congrats on the PB mate :P

Speaking from experience, I'd recommend a set of Mickey Thompson ET drag radials. They should get you the extra tenth you're after to get that 11.

Definately looking at some ET streets now. Traction was a issue. Everytime i went a little harder i would spin the tyres and was running 12.4/12.5's

They're money well spent in terms of outright performance gains, although your 1.888 60' is pretty impressive with street tyres.

I'm only getting low 1.8's at the moment on the MT's, although I know there's potential to go at least 0.1-0.15 quicker with some more practise (and perhaps better suspension). Given that you're already able to do high 1.8's on street tyres, I think you shouldn't have too much trouble pulling off a low 1.8 or high 1.7 which would be more than enough to get an 11 (all else being equal).

Let us know how you go :(

Well im running Toyo Ra1's there not your average street tyre, they perform much better than your average street tyre, they are R compound. I dont think i could have got a better start without using more revs, hence the need for ET streets

So you running a 2835 Pro?

Sorry mate, I must have misread your post - for some reason I thought you said Toyo T1-R (still a very good street tyre) instead of RA1's.

Can't really comment on the RA1's (as I've never used or driven a car with them), but despite being a high performance tyre, I don't think there's much doubt that they probably weren't designed with drag racing in mind, therefore there won't be as much sidewall flex for example. Given that, I'm still confident that you'll see a noticeable improvement with the MT's.

What rpm were you launching at?

As for my car, I was originally considering the 2835Pro, but eventually went for the GT3040R :(

As far as launching goes, not exaclty sure on the revs but would be around 4500rpm , right in the meaty zone, and i ease out the clutch, not dump it.

Is there much work putting the 3040R on?

You should be able to dial in at least 5,000rpm (possibly more if you're game) and get a decent hook up with minimal wheelspin off the line. Drop the pressure to around 15psi and give the tyres a big burnout on the first few runs and you should bag that 11 and notch another one up for the daily drivers :rofl:

As for fitting the 3040R, you could say it was a little fiddly...

It's low mounted on a HKS exhaust manifold, but due to the comp cover just fouling the standard R33 engine mount, we decided to replace the standard item with a slightly smaller Z32 item. It fits nice and snug now...almost resembles a stocker to the untrained eye :yes:

hey Robo, just wondering what turbo your running and have you done anything to the suspension at all?

My PB is a 12.9 and i couldnt get any faster due to heaps of axle tramp.

any ideas to decrease axle tramp?

Thanks, Mike

hey Robo, just wondering what turbo your running and have you done anything to the suspension at all?

My PB is a 12.9 and i couldnt get any faster due to heaps of axle tramp.

any ideas to decrease axle tramp?

Thanks, Mike

Im running a HKS 2535, just a simple bolt on.

Suspension is hard as a rock Teins. Are you dropping the clutch to get axle tramp?? Not once have i got axle tramp, i use the clutch and plenty of throttle to smooth out any sudden jumps from the rear.

naa its not only when i drop the clutch it can happen as it starts to spin after takeoff.

I think i might invest in some pineapple's.

My 60' times were like 2.1. I was getting the same 60' when the car was standard cause i cant seem to get a good takeoff. I got 13 runs on the night so i was trying everything i could to reduce axle tramp but nothing was working.

what is 113mph good for?

113mph should be good for low 12's.

You could easily shave 0.3s off your 60' with a set of drag radials. That would equate to around 0.6s by 400m which would give you a low 12.

I cannot recommend drag radials enough - in terms of street car drag racing ET's, they're one of the best bang for buck mods you can make.

113mph should be good for low 12's.

You could easily shave 0.3s off your 60' with a set of drag radials. That would equate to around 0.6s by 400m which would give you a low 12.

I cannot recommend drag radials enough - in terms of street car drag racing ET's, they're one of the best bang for buck mods you can make.

Definately agree, tryes are a key. Theres too many skylines with big power running crap times. All comes down to tyre choice. If you spend the money, spend a little extra and grab some good tyres, Et streets, RA1's, RE55 etc. Theres some pretty quick times to be had.

113mph should be good for a easy mid 12. I done it with normal street tyres with a 2.02 60'

The ET's are MILES ahead of the other tyres you've mentioned for drag racing.

I'd love to hear from people who've tried them on comparisions with

+ BF Goodrich Comp TA

+ MT ET Street

+ MT ET Street Radial

+ MT ET Drag Radial