SAU Community

Overheating

skylinefan

yesterday i changed the upper and lower radiator hoses(very old) the radiator cap and the thermostat.... took it for a drive and thrashed it a little !! but the car still seened to be getting quiet hot ...... and after i unplugged the heat sensor and put it bak in the heat said half in the guage,,,, something is a miss and i just cant figure it out !! sensor? head? and there doesnt seem to be a build up of pressure on the hoses?? me is a little lost .... have i done something wrong ??

Obvious question is did u put the thermostat in the right way and did u get the right one?

Are u using an overflow bottle with the rad?

Is the coolant level stayin constant?

If all ok replace the water temp sensor.

Obvious question is did u put the thermostat in the right way and did u get the right one?

hey thanks for the reply, air flow bottle?

coolant seems to be staying level now, and yes the thermostat is thew correct one and its in the same way the other one came out !! im hopeing it isnt the water pump... could that also be it !! and i was planning on doing the water temp sensor on the weekend.

how do you know it's overheating?

The "normal" position on the stock temp gauge will sometimes change when you install a thermostat that opens at a different temperature.

Perhaps get an aftermarket water temp gauge to see where you're actually at more accurately

Anyway, if it's definantly overheating and you've ruled out the thermostat, then it's probably the water pump.

how do you know it's overheating?

The "normal" position on the stock temp gauge will sometimes change when you install a thermostat that opens at a different temperature.

Perhaps get an aftermarket water temp gauge to see where you're actually at more accurately

Anyway, if it's definantly overheating and you've ruled out the thermostat, then it's probably the water pump.

ok, but if it was the water pump wouldnt the car idle differntly? ot would the cur run differently? cause the car still kicks well

it would idle the same

try driving it without the thermostat but of the bearing in the pump is f**ked it fan wont keep running straight, it wont run true to the engine

my mates fan smashed 2 radiators before he fixed his pump, bearing was screwed and the fan moved enough to foul on the radiator (r31 skyline, same shaped pump with more fins inside)

ok the coolant isnt staying constant, it builds up in the overflow, and ends up being like 2 inches hight then it was b4 driving it !! im not driveing iit to the stage of it over heating !! just been taking it on test drives ....

ok further info !! was doing a little more work on the car today !! took it for a drive !! still doesnt seem to be much pressure in the radiator hoses?? car is running fine !1 ideling fine, but AFTER ABOUT 30 MINS OF DRIVEING the heat started to rise !! the overflow keeps filling to the stage where its about to overflow?? im starting to get worried... :teehee: its starting to look like the waterpump i think??

if so how much is a good estimate for the pump and work ?? anyhelp would be benifical

Pumps have been known to rot out the impeller blades because idiot (previous / Japanese) owners don't use proper coolant.

Pump is around $100. Job takes a (leisurely) couple of hours.

You need to remove the radiator, so while it is out, get it thoroughly cleaned.

Pumps have been known to rot out the impeller blades because idiot (previous / Japanese) owners don't use proper coolant.

Pump is around $100. Job takes a (leisurely) couple of hours.

You need to remove the radiator, so while it is out, get it thoroughly cleaned.

cool thanks for that... i think that job is a little passed my knowledge, so i might have to look into getting it done bysomeone....