SAU Community

R32's Reliability

hey guys,

im planning to buy an R32 gtst.. wanted to know what the running costs are for these beauties.. b4 any says crap about searching the forums I HAVE.. i even found a nice list for when i go check one out!

the mods i want are aesthetic.. ie stereo that works :D and maybe an exhaust. pwr isnt a big deal..

other ppl are telling me to get something a little bit less "EGO" ie FWD non turbo shitbox... maybe even a SSS.... just thought id get some advice from people on the other end on the spectrum!!!

BTW ive seen some awesome blue lines... what colour is this? are they rare cause i havent seen any FS at a decent price..

They are getting a little old now so the majority of them will need repairs in the way of general wear and tear. I.e bushes, a/c, clutch master/slave cylinder, alternator, cooling system hoses etc..

I've had mine for 4.5years and travelled around 146,000km's.

The only thing I've had to repair/replace is the headlight switch, radiators top tank, a/c leaky hose, clutch master/slave cylinder and radiator fan clutch. Nothing else has 'worn out' so to speak.

The usual 100,000km service stuff was done being water pump, cam belt, rad hoses, I don't consider that repairs etc.. Thats general basic maintenance.

I've done 1 gearbox due to dropping a 3ltr in to it and the diff now open wheels so needs attention.

I'm in the process of throwing bushes throughout as it needs them desperately.

So lots of money to be spent on it as its old. :D

Ive owned mine for 3 years now and done 80,000kms.

So far i've replaced the clutch, front brake pads and discs and the tyres, and changed the timing belt at 100,000kms.

Thats it. Plus regular service stuff of course, oil + filter, spark plugs, fuel filter etc.

So nothing at all has gone wrong, they are very reliable cars.

I'd Rate them as highly reliable but as already said they are getting old and if you don't keep them well maintained it could easily become a money pit. But that applies to every car on the road really!

My only advice = Take your time to find a good one and Pay as little as possible for it as you must be aware that the market has been flooded with them and other than the enjoyment of owning it you won't see a return down the line. Sorry to who ever is selling but it's the truth.

They are returning fairly well since I bought mine 4.5yrs back for 18k. :D

What is a clean example worth these days... 10 maybe 12k?

6k loss in 4.5years is fairly damn good I'd say.

A 1992 Commodore.... Mate of mine just sold a clean one for $1200. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I'm a little bitter about mine I guess because I had put in a lot of research and had the funds to buy an R34 or a good quality R32 GTR and assumed that after owning a few cars for over a year each on full comp. without one single incident that insurance wouldn't be a limiting factor. Wrong! The best they would insure me for in the skyline family was an R33 but I didn't like the feel of any of the R33's I drove so I decided to get an R32 to tied me over until I could upgrade. Without putting much research into it I bought an exceptinally clean one when they where still not all that common at, ofcourse, a premium price .

2 mounths later the compliancing laws changed and R32's have become like assholes. 3months after purchase I recieved a call form just cars to inform me that I now i have rating 1 status and the ability to insure any vehicle I want. With in the space of several months because I hadn't put enough research into the exact vehicle and any changes in compliancing coming up I had lost at least $8-9000.

Which in turn means that I can no longer aford the upgrade without losing money but more frustratingly means that any modifications I do to my current car is (other than the enjoyment) pissing my money against the wall as I'll see if anything a reduction in return as people more and more want stock cars.

Sorry to high jack your thread but I was simply trying to impress upon everyone the importance of reseaching your buy and don't go on impulse! Or frustration in my case.

I'm a little bitter about mine I guess because I had put in a lot of research and had the funds to buy an R34 or a good quality R32 GTR and assumed that after owning a few cars for over a year each on full comp. without one single incident that insurance wouldn't be a limiting factor. Wrong! The best they would insure me for in the skyline family was an R33 but I didn't like the feel of any of the R33's I drove so I decided to get an R32 to tied me over until I could upgrade. Without putting much research into it I bought an exceptinally clean one when they where still not all that common at, ofcourse, a premium price .

2 mounths later the compliancing laws changed and R32's have become like assholes. 3months after purchase I recieved a call form just cars to inform me that I now i have rating 1 status and the ability to insure any vehicle I want. With in the space of several months because I hadn't put enough research into the exact vehicle and any changes in compliancing coming up I had lost at least $8-9000.

Which in turn means that I can no longer aford the upgrade without losing money but more frustratingly means that any modifications I do to my current car is (other than the enjoyment) pissing my money against the wall as I'll see if anything a reduction in return as people more and more want stock cars.

Sorry to high jack your thread but I was simply trying to impress upon everyone the importance of reseaching your buy and don't go on impulse! Or frustration in my case.

let me get this straight. your bitter because you bought "an exceptinally clean" 32 for a reasonable price and your are shocked you have lost money on it????

wake up dude, all cars lose value. :happy:

If i was you i would be happy with the "exceptinally clean" 32 and not worry about 33's.

let me get this straight. your bitter because you bought "an exceptinally clean" 32 for a reasonable price and your are shocked you have lost money on it????

wake up dude, all cars lose value. :D

If i was you i would be happy with the "exceptinally clean" 32 and not worry about 33's.

I would say that you've got it rather crooked actually DUDE! I'm not bitter about buying a car which if you could read, was for a premium price and I'm not shocked i've lost money. I was a LITTLE bitter because in my haist to buy a car, I didn't do enough research and with the law change and influx of early 32's, I lost an additional $8-9000 on top of normal depreciation.

Frustrated with my self in short!

Do all cars lose value do they? Well there you go. You learn something everyday!

So, don't even pretend to ascend to the dizzying hieghts of what it is to be me! Because I think that you sir will fall well short!

Again, my apologies to cheap frills as I was only trying to give you my personal experience to ensure you end up happy with your purchase but I don't appreciate being belittled for giving an opinion.

Mines going to be run in to the ground....

Eventually will pick up another car and may throw a roll cage in to the 32, throw on a set of semi's, strip the interior and off I go.. :D

Mines going to be run in to the ground....

Eventually will pick up another car and may throw a roll cage in to the 32, throw on a set of semi's, strip the interior and off I go.. :D

Thats pretty much what i'm going to do too.

get a 32 gtst for track/drift work and keep the gts4 for daily duties :D

the last thing in my mind when buying my 32 was will i lose money on it, i had always planned to spend on it either way i bought it cause i love it not cause it was financially gentle.

that said though i did look around and get a very nice one and the thing has been very reliable and only needed general maintainance in the 2 and a half years ive had it which is nice for a car 16 yrs old.

Edited by ODessA