SAU Community

Oil Catch Can Mounting And Roughting

Guest 40th-edition

Guest 40th-edition

can some one help me out with where they have mounted there oil catch can and what they used to block of pipes and how the pipes r best to go!

i had i look yesterday and i have a alarm and cruise control bits all around the best mounting places and extra pipes that im not sure how to vent!

thanks heaps..

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i mounted mine near the windscreen wiper motor in the corner of the engine bay...

i didn't block anything off, i simply routed the exit pipe from the cam covers to the catch can, then the pipe from the exit of the catch can went to the pipe that leads to the intake

I simply filled the catch can with a stocking and a kitchen scourer to create turbulent airflow

at idle, the PCV still opens, but on boost, the PCV is closed and any oil will be caught buy the can ;)

cheers,

Warren

Guest 40th-edition

i was thinking if i did that with the piping then the intake would just suck fumes back out of the can.. defeating the hole purpose. i was looking for somewhere low to mount it to help the oil fumes and particals to vent in

also the PCV valve is right next to the plenum chamber and would be affected?? would it?

thanks 4 the reply.

ne other methods?

yer mate i mounted mine 3 days ago.

took 1 bolt off the inlet manifold and mounted the catch can bracket on that.

then used a large hose clamp with rubber on the inside for extra grip to hold it in place.

its also easy to take of if i need too.

heres a pic of it:

mines been screwed to the wheel arch on the passanger side, where the air filter used to be,

also just a quicky, when i bought my skyline there was water in the catch can, ive never asked why i thought maybe its just to make it easier to empty?

i know its a bit off topic but should there be water in the catch can?

obviously theres no return line

Edited by leg46y

Guest 40th-edition

I have abs in that corner!! and with both those lines hooked up doesnt it build up pressure??

but i did manage to mount it next the the air box behind the headlight!

just fits and now just gotta get some lines and connect it.

r they legal?? just got done last night for fmic so was wondering if its worth putting it on when i get that passed for epa at the same time??

Edited by 40th-edition

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd bring an old thread back from the dead and show where I mounted my catch can.

I didn't want it over near the turbo cause of the heat and I wanted to try and keep the oil filter fairly accessible. I made up a bracket and mounted it using one of the bolts that secures the windscreen washer tank.

Its not that pretty but seems to work.

post-13456-1162285976.jpg

• 1 year later...

so its as easy as running two pipes to the catch can? running the pipe that useally joins the two covers together? the pipe wid the yellow circle around it. (pic attached below)

ps not my engine bay! lol i can dream hey

post-33454-1194907027_thumb.jpg

so its as easy as running two pipes to the catch can? running the pipe that useally joins the two covers together? the pipe wid the yellow circle around it. (pic attached below)

ps not my engine bay! lol i can dream hey

No, do not mount it there, it wont be as efficient as your only collecting fumes from one half of the cam cover and not the other half... you need to mount it between the cam cover & your intake pipe... that way, when your throttle is open the PCV will shut and your intake will draw the fumes from the cam covers to the catch can to the intake.

Look at

Post #13, he has done correctly..

Post #12, he has done incorrectly..

Post #8, he has done correctly, but thats an atmospheric solution where the PCV is deleted

if your more pedantic you could run another catch can between the PCV and the cam covers, so when your car idles fumes will be drawn through the 2nd catch can.

Edited by johnnilicte

Here is a few different ways to hook it up. This information comes from the link I posted above;

Here is one I prepared earlier, that I found by using the search button....

===================================================

My suggestions for plumbing up a catch can. Yes that's right you have CHOICES, there is not a wrong and a right

Pretty much the same for a RB26DETT, or an RB20DET or an RB25DET or an RB31DET (in my case). But keep in mind there is no "best way", you choose whichever suites your requirements.

I call the choices ;

1. 100% plumb back

2. 50% plumb back

3. Zero% plumb back

Let's try this one, it's the open to atmosphere catch can;

rb25detOpentoAtmosphere.jpg

The idea is to only have one connection from the cam covers as they are joined by the standard pipe. The PCV valve and the connection to the inlet before the turbo are blocked off. You can have a return (drain) to the sump form the catch can if you like. Don't T it into the turbo oil return as it is under a bit of pressure and the oil can run up into the catch can.

This one I call the 50% plumb back, because half of the time (no boost times) the air from the catch can is being sucked into the inlet manifold via the PCV valve;

rb25det50PlumbBack.jpg

It is not my favourite, because you can still get a bit of oily air into the engine, but since it doesn't go in under boost (the PCV valve is closed then) detonation isn't much of an issue. At least you don't get any oil into the intercooler and its pipework.

The last is 100% plumb back, all of the air goes back into the engine. Some goes via the PCV valve, at times of no boost. When there is boost, it goes back via the inlet system, through the turbo, the intercooler and its pipework. :uh-huh:

rb25det100PlumbBack.jpg

The idea is the stainless steel wool, helped by the lower velocity in the catch can, catches the oil and removes it from the air before it goes back into the engine. This is the environmentalists favourite :alien: and is the easiest to get engineered.

PS, the PCV valve on RB25's is screwed into the RHS cam cover. For the plumback options (50% and 100%) you would need to move the PCV valve so it is between the catch can and the plenum.

For RB20's the PCV valve is screwed into the plenum and so it doesn't need to be moved.

Hope that helps :huh:

Edited by abu

that does really open up the options alot, i think i going to do two joins, one from passanger side rocker cover, and inlet and block the bottom intlet of my greddy oil catch can, like in the other thread open! think this will be sufficent? hAME

go for 100% plumb back because with the throttle opened or closed it still passes all fumes through the catch can.

the 50% plumb back is stupid, because when throttle is opened PCV will close and all your fumes in the cam covers have no where to go, in this case would be better to plumb back to the intake not PCV as PCV only works on idle/throttle closed, on boost the PCV will shut and yeah.. not pretty

I've currently have mine 100% plumbed back, i.e. PCV & intake -> Catch Can and cam cover -> catch can

go for 100% plumb back because with the throttle opened or closed it still passes all fumes through the catch can.

the 50% plumb back is stupid, because when throttle is opened PCV will close and all your fumes in the cam covers have no where to go, in this case would be better to plumb back to the intake not PCV as PCV only works on idle/throttle closed, on boost the PCV will shut and yeah.. not pretty

I've currently have mine 100% plumbed back, i.e. PCV & intake -> Catch Can and cam cover -> catch can

SO if i have one hose from passanger cam cover to one inlet on top of can, one hose from intake to other inlet on top of can and block the bottom is this sufficent?? i will post pics soon. hamee :wave:

Also johnnilicte, if wrong could you possibly post pictures of what it should look like?

Edited by H@ME