SAU Community

Gates Timing Belt R33

plaganis

Hi All,

Quick question on the gates timing belt sold for the skylines, the blue coloured one. I know a lot of people are using this product out there.

I recently changed my timing belt to the gates brand and now have a slight humming sound coming from the belt at low rpm or idle.

The mechanic did explain that if the belts are tensioned too tight that they will hum, but as I was with him while the work was being done I don't believe that the belt was over tensioned. We actually went to a lot of trouble in getting the right tension. The old though was worn and very loose.

Anyway, has anyone had the same experience using the gates belt. Does it settle in and the noise go away?? Is that the way they are?? Or should I go to the trouble and losen the belt off a touch and see what happens??

Any ideas?? I would be greatful.

Regards,

Paul.

I got one of these; as do quite a lot of owners on this forum - the humming noise is normal from what everyone says. It's not a constant hum more like an intermitant hum that happens every "cycle"

I got one of these; as do quite a lot of owners on this forum - the humming noise is normal from what everyone says. It's not a constant hum more like an intermitant hum that happens every "cycle"

yep can vouch for that happens to me same belt

Thanks Guys,

Appreciate the comments, but has anyone actually tried adjusting the belt again to see if the noise improves?? Or goes away.

Also for those of you mechanically minded did anyone notice how the belt fit onto the cam gears. Did the belt sit flush into the gears or was there a bit of play.

The old belt that had years of wear had a fair bit of play and the new one while a lot beter still has slight play.

I'm thinking that worn cam gears could be a factor in the noise.

Any thoughts.

Paul.

I did one of these in my 33gtr and had the same problem. I readjusted the belt three times in total as the first time I think it was a little tight, and it did quieten down as I loosened it off, though I went too loose one of the times just to see if the noise went away, it did'nt.

I have had it in for about 5000kms and it is pretty much gone now, though you can still hear it if you are looking for it. Only after the engine is at running temp of course.

hope that this is helpful.

Oh, forgot to mention I did cams a adjustable gears at the same time, so the belt fit pretty snug in the gear teeth, and the drive gear was not worn. If your gears are worn it is pretty easy to tell by the lip as the belt dose not cover the complete gear and only weres on about 95% of the face of the tooth.

Edited by mark morris

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

Pity you experimented 3 times in getting things right.

I think I will wait until I reach 5000k's before tackling the belt again, and if I do I will get the gears changed as well, therefore I make the job worth while.

Paul.

Hi All,

Quick question on the gates timing belt sold for the skylines, the blue coloured one. I know a lot of people are using this product out there.

I recently changed my timing belt to the gates brand and now have a slight humming sound coming from the belt at low rpm or idle.

The mechanic did explain that if the belts are tensioned too tight that they will hum, but as I was with him while the work was being done I don't believe that the belt was over tensioned. We actually went to a lot of trouble in getting the right tension. The old though was worn and very loose.

Anyway, has anyone had the same experience using the gates belt. Does it settle in and the noise go away?? Is that the way they are?? Or should I go to the trouble and losen the belt off a touch and see what happens??

Any ideas?? I would be greatful.

Regards,

Paul.

had the same problem..on close inspection of belt found small threads that bridged belt teeth causing humming sound when running(poor quality) ..these belts are crap imo ..nothing wrong with genuine part price or quality... i fixed mine by throwing it in the bin and using a genuine belt

The blue gates belts promoting tripple the strength of stock. They are crap chuck it in the bin get yourself one of these babys Nissan 13028-20P25 will fix all your problems. Save yourself embaresment at the lights mate.

what belt is that originally for crofte?? interested.

13028-20P25 supersedes 13028-20P10 its a stock nissan belt for the RB25det. according to the experts at nissan!

why is it better than the other if its just a stockie? what part number does this get you then 13028-20P10?

thanks

Dont know mate. Atleast its quiet! That gets you the new one it must be marked in the catalog. just red tape i guess.

• 4 months later...
How much is the genuine nissan belt??

I just ordered gen nissan one - $60!!! w00t!!!

I actually asked on the 100k service thread if anyone could tell me why I should buy an aftermarket belt as opposed to gen one but no real responses..... I was gonna get a Gates or Nismo belt but couldn't justify nearly $400 for the Nismo one..... Is there any real difference btwn gen and aftermarket???

There's nothing wrong with the standard Nissan timing belt - dead quiet at idle and has a 100,000k change interval, I got mine for $85.00 off eBay, Nissan sell them for around the same.

That being said, my R33 had a very annoying whirring at low revs when I first bought it, and it apparently had a new, genuine Nissan timing belt.

I eventually took it to Nissan and had them replace all the belts and tensioner/idler pulleys as part of a major service...It turned that the tensioner bolt was slightly bent which was causing most of the 'hum' or whirring at idle, it's perfect now - might want to check this out if you're having this problem.

Awwww, $60 directly from Nissan?!

....damn ebay (or damn my stupidity for assuming Nissan would be pricier, they usually are!!) :P

Yeah - direct from my local nissan..... even with the SAU discount Lincorp still wanted $94 so it really does pay to ring around and apply a little pressure!!! I think it depends on the parts..... sometimes nissan is more exy..... sometimes not!!!

I was quoted $220 for a belt..... hmmmmm..... dunno if he thought I was just a dumb chick or what but you''ve only paid $20 (or so) more than me so I wouldn't stress.....

• 3 months later...

Hi all..

throw your Gates away! I put one in after rebuilding my engine myself. I made sure my belt was not too tight and it still makes the whinning noise.... It doesn't matter what tension you put on these belts, most of the time, you will experience this humming with these belts...

I've done 25,000kms on this rebuilt engine and it still humms.. I've loosened the tension twice with no improvement.

Although the general rule of thumb would tell you that tightening a belt too much can make it whine, this is not the case with these belts.

If anyone trys to tell you that your whinning is because your Gates timing belt is too tight, then they obviously have never used one!

Just my 2 cents... I've since put in a Greddy belt and it's quiet as... very happy... only $114 too!