SAU Community

R34 Gtt Spark Plugs

Lithius

yeah im with G_Force on this one, as im looking at changing out the old plugs next weekend and need some idea of what i should put in. After the split dump/front pipe install the 34 runs at slightly higher boost now, should this slight increase mean i should gap down to say .7 or just stick with the .8 gap? also, im too woundering what the heat range should be.

:(

Edited by RyanN

man, the dreaded R34 coilpacks strike again, these things break just looking at them the wrong way!

i got split fires, problem solved. Got some NGK Iridiums as well from kudos motorsports, not sure of the exact model. But yeah, you can't gap iridiums but i'm almost 100% sure they aren't less than 1.0mm, they're 1.0mm +, that was recommended to me (no power mods at all)

a set of splitfires is about the same price as a set of brand new packs from Nissan, so it's a bit of a no-brainer if you can't go the DIY fix (epoxy/tape)

...should this slight increase mean i should gap down to say .7 or just stick with the .8 gap?

From what I've read I believe you want the largest possible gap that will still create sufficient spark. Unless you've got some serious mods (i.e. you just have a full exhaust), I think 1.0 is fine (down from the 1.1 factory recommendation).

Edited by McCracken

Well like i said im running 12psi, and possibly even up to 14psi, will see wot my tuner can do when i get it tune.

With this boost the std 1.1 gap would blow out i believe, Will check my coils but i think they r fine, its just misfiring a lil round the top end atm.

So anyone kno the no for the NGK i need? V-power coppers 0.8 gap, not sure of heat range. Is there someone i can get these off online?

From what I've read I believe you want the largest possible gap that will still create sufficient spark. Unless you've got some serious mods (i.e. you just have a full exhaust), I think 1.0 is fine (down from the 1.1 factory recommendation).

ok thanks mcCracken, do you know if the heat range should stay the same?

also, on that topic of coilpacks, i used to have a problem with them atleast twice a week however once i replaced the vacumm sensors hose (as it kept falling off) everything is now fine ;) , i haven't had any probs with the coilpacks for a least a year. :)

ok thanks mcCracken, do you know if the heat range should stay the same?

also, on that topic of coilpacks, i used to have a problem with them atleast twice a week however once i replaced the vacumm sensors hose (as it kept falling off) everything is now fine ;) , i haven't had any probs with the coilpacks for a least a year. :)

To be honest, I'm unsure. Just my own opinion, unless you have a seriously deviate from factory specs stick with factory recommendations. Having said that, I see you have a FMIC and some other stuff. Perhaps ask a tuner or look around on the forums.

Some extra information I thought might help others. I just spoke to a respectable Melbourne tuner and he even suggests gapping to 0.6mm on the GTt's to prevent misfiring on high boost. He even said they've gone as low as 0.5mm on R34 GTR's. It's his opinion that the ignition system on the R34's are weak as piss. Failing that, swap around the coils and then eventually new Splitfires.

Edited by McCracken

picked up some sparkys today, BCPR6ES gapped at .8 however the neos are meant to have a heat range of 5 right? .... take em back and swap them or stick with the 5? :(

Absolutely no problem using 6s in the NEO. If you've got a few mods, the 6 would be a better choice anyway.

Lithius any problems with running the BCPR6ES-8 in ur GT-T? I heard they r a shorter plug than the factory std PFR6G-11.

I was planning to use the BKR6E, similar to the BCP6ES except they have the V-power(grooved) electrode. Some have said to me stick with the factory plug n just gap them down to 0.8.

Not sure if anyone still needs to know but I'm running NGK BCPR6ES-8 in my R34 GTT. They cost me about $4 each from repco. I think they're the same plugs people run in the R33.

Well, a workshop put some Iriways in there and it developed a big misfire on boost. Went to autopro with one of the Iriways and they gave me some BKR6ES-11 to try, I regapped them to .8 and put them in... still misfiring. Eventually I got splitfires but it was still misfiring with the Iriways, so I put the gapped BKR6ES in there and the misfire dissapeared.

My plugs were a bit fouled from when I played around with my AFM settings so I thought i'd try some BCPR6ES-8 (I think they're actually longer than both the Iriways and BKR6ES) and they work fine... No problems at all thus far.

The length difference between the BKR (ISO tip) and BCPR (JIS tip) series is the length from the base to the insulator end (ie where the coil attaches to). The electrode etc are identical.

iso_jis.jpg

I have used both JIS and ISO types in my car with no differences (so long as the coil pack contacts the spark plug properly it shouldn't be a problem for anyway).

Edited by Busky2k

just spent the morning changing the plugs (well i woke up at 11:00 :) ), it had NKG PFR6G-11 in there already gapped to .81 (previous owner i guess); replaced them with the NGK BCPR6ES gapped at .81, everything runs good.

.... however i dont if its just me but i seem to get shocked by the car now after i've been for a drive since i changed the plugs. would coilpacks arcing create this shock?

:dry:

Edited by RyanN

You are thinking of static shock? Probably not the coilpacks...

yeah, its increased after i changed the plugs for some reason, it cant be what im im wearing as i never got a shock before from the clothes.

my R34 has been shocking me more recently? i've got NGK iridiums and Splitfire coilpacks... but it definitely wasn't the packs, maybe after i changed the sparkies, but i thought it was when i put my HID kit in (gotta ground stuff to the car)?? maybe it was the sparkies then? my carpets are still quite lush and fluffy, i thought it might have been those as well :dry: