SAU Community

Engine Conversion For A Non-nissan

Just did a quick search on adelaidejap.com.au

MAZDA/FORD to front cuts

-Mazda BP turbo ex GTX Familia 3 to choose from (no gearbox) $1850

-Mazda B6 Turbo no gearbox $1850

-FE3 2 litre DOHC FWD $1850

-323/Laser GTX BP Turbo W/O box & intercooler $1850

Hmm thanks mate youre a helpful guy. im putting a call in tomorrow, see what i can rustle up as far as a gearbox goes. Dont think the auto would handle it, thats if it would even mount up.

Hmm traction issues, you think? has 195s all round. Pirelli P6000's. (haha the stagea has 235 ecstas... bit of a difference, but the capri aint exactly heavy)

No worries mate, glad i could help.

At least with the auto out, you'll probably have more room to accommodate the gearbox you eventually want to put in there.

As for traction issues, being a fwd you'll have a tonne of torque steer which may or may not be fun depending on what kind of driver you are. An lsd box will help getting that power to the ground. You should also be able to run 205's without dramas with a suitable set of alloys.

Auction/sell/insurance job the capri. Take resulting money and spend it on the Stoogia.

Failing that whack a Mazda Familia GTR engine in the sucker. Those things are lil rockets.

If you want something a lil outside the square a 1.6L 4AGE out of a latemodel corolla, or an engine out of a starlet GT turbo are also nice lil pocket rockets and both come in east-west config.

you only got 1 option. bpd.

i put one in my 4wd tx3. got 150 awkw, with a catback, vr4 cooler and a pod filter. was running 14psi, and the stock cat was restrcting it big time.

a b6t would be the easiest upgrade though.

ps the bpd's arnt forged, they a squeeze cast. the rods are awesome on them though.

steve.

Hi all. This is VERY general, but i need some straight answers and opinions.

I have been given an 89 capri. Ferrari Red. 16" ROH's. Black soft-top. Body and paint-wise, the car is brilliant. Not a scratch, dent or hint of gutter rash on the rims. (was my fiances dads)

Now. The lil 1.3 or 1.8 or "insert random sized piss-weak efi 4 banger here" is a mess. too many km's, blows BLUE smoke, possible head gasket leak or warped/cracked head. ETC.

Capris are FWD, btw.

Now. What engines will fit easy enough? I have heard lot of ford and mazda engines are interchangeable (being that they did a lot of badge-swapping back then).

Does anyone know exactly whats in them, and what i can swap it with?

I figure an easy option is getting the front end of a Laser TX3 Turbo, and fitting that, if it would fit. I cant see why it wouldnt...

Just figure itd be nice sometimes... hot summer... leave the stagea at home for a day, and hit the beach in a red convertible. Sure, its no MX5, but it was free, and if for $4k i could have a turbo capri on the road and lookin and running nice, then there you go.

Anyone know anyone that has done this, or can offer help?

yea mate the bp-t (1.8l dohc efi turbo) should fit strait in get a half cut from a kf/kh tx3 or a mazda famila.

make sure you get a half cut with the fwd setup so you can use the g series box and such.

for furthur info i recomend www.fordlaser.com

are the bpd's a fairly straight fit? what should i expect to pay for one with gearbox. pref. a front cut, as the car is currently an auto...

are the b6ts an easier fit?

i wouldnt sugest a bpd they have power sure but you would have trouble finding a fwd box that will handle that power.

like i said try www.fordlaser.com the fellas there will help you out.

price i would say

about 3k for the halfcut

Edited by james young

i wouldnt sugest a bpd they have power sure but you would have trouble finding a fwd box that will handle that power.

like i said try www.fordlaser.com the fellas there will help you out.

price i would say

about 3k for the halfcut

Hmm ok i like the sound of that. like i said, i want to try and keep to some sort of achievable budget. What sort of quarters do you think this mix would run? i can get exedy clutches very cheap, as well as turbo engine parts (my site - saikoogarage.com) so i will be adding an intercooler, oil cooler, apexi pod, turbo back system etc.

Being that the engine is not that large, would a fairly free flowing 2.5inch exhaust setup be suitable, or would i need larger?

ps what sort of boost can these engines handle, and what sort of power can i expect with those mods, running at a high but safe boost pressure???

I have registered on fordlaser.com but find it a difficult site to read and negotiate through...

thanks again guys