SAU Community

Engine Conversion For A Non-nissan

Hi all. This is VERY general, but i need some straight answers and opinions.

I have been given an 89 capri. Ferrari Red. 16" ROH's. Black soft-top. Body and paint-wise, the car is brilliant. Not a scratch, dent or hint of gutter rash on the rims. (was my fiances dads)

Now. The lil 1.3 or 1.8 or "insert random sized piss-weak efi 4 banger here" is a mess. too many km's, blows BLUE smoke, possible head gasket leak or warped/cracked head. ETC.

Capris are FWD, btw.

Now. What engines will fit easy enough? I have heard lot of ford and mazda engines are interchangeable (being that they did a lot of badge-swapping back then).

Does anyone know exactly whats in them, and what i can swap it with?

I figure an easy option is getting the front end of a Laser TX3 Turbo, and fitting that, if it would fit. I cant see why it wouldnt...

Just figure itd be nice sometimes... hot summer... leave the stagea at home for a day, and hit the beach in a red convertible. Sure, its no MX5, but it was free, and if for $4k i could have a turbo capri on the road and lookin and running nice, then there you go.

Anyone know anyone that has done this, or can offer help?

If it is just for ricing to the beach, why not just drive it how it is?

Good condition or not, i'm sorry, but i'm not a big fan of the looks of those capris. It looks like a shitbox to me, and i wouldn't look twice if i saw it at the beach.

Perhaps just sell it, scramble whatever cash you can and drive your stagea to the beach? or put the money towards something nice?

If it is just for ricing to the beach, why not just drive it how it is?

Good condition or not, i'm sorry, but i'm not a big fan of the looks of those capris. It looks like a shitbox to me, and i wouldn't look twice if i saw it at the beach.

Perhaps just sell it, scramble whatever cash you can and drive your stagea to the beach? or put the money towards something nice?

Ouch! :yes::D

He may like it!

If it had to be a cheap convertible an MX5 with a turbo converion would be my pick. But convertibles are not my thing.

The Mazda Familia GTR has 206kW too, although it may be difficult to source one of those engines.

They actually have around 150odd kW, are called a BPD, and basically have a better turbo and manifold setup over the BPT (Mazda Familia GTX and TX3 Turbo)

I think you're fortunate that the Capri shares it's mechanics with the Mazda 323. So it'll probably be worth investigating these engines :

* 1989-1991 - 1.8 L (1840 cc) BP, FI, 16-valve DOHC, 125 hp (96 kW)/118 ft·lbf (160 N·m)

* 1989-1991 - 1.8 L (1840 cc) BPT, FI, 16-valve DOHC, turbo, 163 hp (120 kW)/159 ft·lbf (216 N·m)

* 1992-1993 - 1.8 L (1840 cc) BPD, FI, 16-valve DOHC, turbo, 210 hp (156 kW)/173 ft·lbf (235 N·m). Powered the Familia GT-R

* 1990-1993 - 1.3 L (1324 cc) B3, 1 barrel, 75 hp (55 kW)/76 ft·lbf (104 N·m)

* 1990-1993 - 1.7 L (1720 cc) PN, Diesel, 8-valve, 57 hp (42 kW)/79 ft·lbf (107 N·m)

I think you're fortunate that the Capri shares it's mechanics with the Mazda 323. So it'll probably be worth investigating these engines :

* 1989-1991 - 1.8 L (1840 cc) BP, FI, 16-valve DOHC, 125 hp (96 kW)/118 ft·lbf (160 N·m)

* 1989-1991 - 1.8 L (1840 cc) BPT, FI, 16-valve DOHC, turbo, 163 hp (120 kW)/159 ft·lbf (216 N·m)

* 1992-1993 - 1.8 L (1840 cc) BPD, FI, 16-valve DOHC, turbo, 210 hp (156 kW)/173 ft·lbf (235 N·m). Powered the Familia GT-R

* 1990-1993 - 1.3 L (1324 cc) B3, 1 barrel, 75 hp (55 kW)/76 ft·lbf (104 N·m)

* 1990-1993 - 1.7 L (1720 cc) PN, Diesel, 8-valve, 57 hp (42 kW)/79 ft·lbf (107 N·m)

if thinking as sick and twisted as i am, i think its time for AWD capri :)

My dad's boss tried too 'give' me a ford capri for some stupidly cheap price about 7-8 years ago just too get it off the lot. In retrospect I guess I could have made some money selling it to some sucker but I didnt think adding too the vicious circle of stupidity was something which would rest easy on my concience.

I bought a 20 odd year old 180B instead, it only leaked in one spot, wouldnt break down and people didnt think I was some flaming arse bandit :)

Respray it a nasty pink, all shiny and then sell it to some 17 year old chick, they like em, though if her dad hunts you down for selling his daughter a lemon I wouldnt blame him...

Edited by MK2

capri’s have a 1.6 engine.

Same as the aus delivered 1.6TX3 turbo and mazda 323 turbo of the late 80’s (86+) and early 90’s… the bubble shape.

Next option up is the 1.8L from the aus tx3.

Or from the Familia GTX

BEST option is the BP18T from the Familia GTR.

It is a rally prepped engine.

Stock forged pistons and rods.

Large turbo…

Usually the familia gtr’s can put out about 200awkw with boost, cooler, exhaust and management from that turbo, injectors, pump and After market management.

All this said, the problem with the capri is the body flex.

You can almost do it by hand…. If you were say Ronnie Coleman…

OK thanks goes out to GTST, Howie, Do-Luck, and of course you too, alex.

As i said, body is PERFECT, paint is fantastic, rims are sweet and fill the guards very well for 16s. not sure if suspension is standard or not, but appears much lower than most. sits very squat and firm. No bounce.

post-24895-1156426193.jpg For those who came in late, this is an 89 capri. Mine sits MUCH lower than this... and has ROH 16s.

The reason for the engine transplant, is, as was in my first post, its rooted. Not a great deal of kms, but it was cooked, thus a bent/cracked head. Combine that with vacuum issues, not firing on 3rd cyl, and the fact that its an AUTO... transplant time.

THought i was right about the mazda engines... Sounds like a 1.8L BPT or BPD may be the best option. now its just SOURCING a DECENT one, with gearbox.

Like i said - hoping to have it all in one WORKING piece for $4-$5000. Possible...?

Would be a comparitively cheap, easy to drive runabout, save the hassle of taking a massive stagea to the corner store. Plus, good for a laugh, and hot summer days. Im not builing it to attract attention and pull chicks, hey. But it needs a new engine, so what the hell, why not do it properly.

Edited by qikstagea