Rb2x Into R30/dr30

datto_boy

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this would be a relatively straight forward conversion,

The R30 mounts look very similar to 280zx and 240z-260z engine mounts (makes sense as they all use the same engine mounts as they all use the L6 engine :-),

You cant just bolt an RB into an R30 using the metal engine mounts that are currently in the car, they will not bolt up to the RB engine,

So, what you can do as far as "off-the-shelf" options go are,

Buy a set of Castlemaine-Rod-Shop engine mounts (for the RB into a 260z),

Or

Purchase a set of 300zx engine mounts that used the RB20 engine (200zr or something like that) in it (tad difficult to find),

Because these cars suit a front mounted sump your in luck, all RB's (except the 200zr RB20 300zx) have front mounted sumps, YAY!!!

Lets assume you get a set of CRS mounts, you should be literally able to just bolt the engine in place, and hopefully the sump will clear,

I would worry about using the RB30 block as its about 25mm taller than the 20,25,26 engine, might make life tricky closing your bonnett,

With the engine in place you will probably find that you will need to whip up a new gearbox crossmember,

When i wacked an RB30 into my Zed i used the original L-Series 5spd crossmember, cut the ends of it, welded in a piece of steel and re-attached the ends, very straight forward - just got a mate to tack it when i was certain of its position, took it out and he welded it up for me, cheap and easy,

Tailshaft is not all that difficult - if you need to have one customed just stick in the yoke, pull it out about an 1" and measure the distance from the centre of the uni joint to the diff flange, take this measurement to a local machine shop and they should be able to whip you up something that will suit,

If you use the CRS mounts, i would be very surprised if the engine atleast didnt literally bolt straight in, without clearance issues,

I am looking at doing the same conversion into an MR30. Although I'm getting the RB20det from a 240z. All the mods were made for the engine to fit however, now I have to take the same engine and put it into an MR30. I'd like to know how different the proceadure will be from what you're looking at doing. If it's the same then I am really interested in what has to be said about it.

Rick.

Crimmo (on these forums) from adelaide used to have an RB20 aus spec R30 which he did the conversion into, so he should be able to point you in the right direction.

But I say DR30 = FJ20 end of story, they just go together so well. Old school tuff car with an old school tuff motor.

Edited by DR JOSH

5 issues with the rb conversion,

Wiring, its not as hard to find someone who can do that these days, you'll need to look around though, but it can be $$$$

engine mounts, i used the r30 cross member mounts with 5mm spacers and the rb20 engine mounts lined up fine...

5 speed box from r32, it sits about 5cm behind the current hole for the r30 gearbox, bit of cutting involved...

tailsharft, r30 is too long, i didn't tackle this problem but a "non cutting" solution was found....

gearbox mount, looks to me like the r32 one was shortened to fit under the r30....

minor issue.... r30 master cylinder is to big to allow the rb20 to go in, mine was changed to the r32 one...

all i know is doing it this way i have had no issues with clarence, taild sharft is perfectly balanced...

remember the rb25 is a bigger engine as the plenium sits higher.. r33 box is bigger as well....

the only issue i see you having with the rb25 going into the dr is the 2L going to 2.5L, thats if you want to drive it on the road....

HR30 = rb20det :):happy::ninja:

Edited by rsx84

Thanks again guys! especially rsx84!!

The FJ's getting a new box and will (hopefully) live out the summer. While i keep an eyes out for a 32 at the same time.

After summer ill decide what to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Well im currently doing a RB30DET into HR30 conversion I had hopes of my motor bolting strait in with the VL's RB30 mounts as someone on here about 3 years ago when I used to be on here said that you use the VL mounts on RB's going into R30s because they are the only set up that bolts strait in!! ?? Has anyone on here done the twincam RB30 into a R30 yet? Cheers

this is something you must already know but i just remembered, all origanial twin cam RB motors were mounted on an angle, the rb30 sits stright up and down, did you allow for this??

• 2 months later...

Hey,

I've done the conversion. I put an RB25 NEO motor into a 1985 MR30.

Mounts - I used the mounts out of a VL commodore. Fitted perfectly.

Electrics - I sent mine out to a shop in sydney who did a plug and play mod (which worked Perfectly)

Tranny xmbr - Needed a bit of a cut and tuck.

Tailshaft - Also needs a little bit a mod.

Hey,

I've done the conversion. I put an RB25 NEO motor into a 1985 MR30.

Mounts - I used the mounts out of a VL commodore. Fitted perfectly.

Electrics - I sent mine out to a shop in sydney who did a plug and play mod (which worked Perfectly)

Tranny xmbr - Needed a bit of a cut and tuck.

Tailshaft - Also needs a little bit a mod.

this is my next idea too, i have an r33 rb25det in my r31 daily and want to go to the NEO in the HR30, good to know it fits, do you have more pics??