SAU Community

Amps In R33

RoadHog_r33

i have had alot of trouble with amps over past 2 months i did have 2 type s speakers in front and 2 12inch dls subs, i had the amp 4 subs on box and that cooked!!!!!! but claimed my boot back :), then just the other day my amp running my type s decided to over heat aswell, now how can i keep these things cool? what is the best way? i am currently looking into getting a Alpine V12 mrv 345 to run the type s and mayb l8r some type r s in parcel shelf? now this thing says it has some themal control thing would this be good and how can i keep it from cooking again, some1 please help!!!!!!!!

p.s i had the other amp mounted in that section next to battery

i have had alot of trouble with amps over past 2 months i did have 2 type s speakers in front and 2 12inch dls subs, i had the amp 4 subs on box and that cooked!!!!!! but claimed my boot back :), then just the other day my amp running my type s decided to over heat aswell, now how can i keep these things cool? what is the best way? i am currently looking into getting a Alpine V12 mrv 345 to run the type s and mayb l8r some type r s in parcel shelf? now this thing says it has some themal control thing would this be good and how can i keep it from cooking again, some1 please help!!!!!!!!

p.s i had the other amp mounted in that section next to battery

I have Type R speakers all round, and a Cadence 5 channel amp. My amp is mounted on a removable board where the usual flap is seperating the boot from the battery.

I have the same as nsanity. My new amp is the JayCar precision 4x100, and it barely gets warm. My old amp had a fan built in.

I think you should check your power wiring or something... for it to heat up that badly during winter/spring you must have a slight short that is creating resistance/heat to the amp. Something like that.

Failing this, perhaps mount a big 120cm fan behind the battery cover off a relay that uses the remote wire. Could even mount it to the battery cover bit with a hole to draw in the air in the boot? Make another hole further towards the battery for air to come back out again, and you'd be at least circulating a bigger volume of air.

EDIT: when you get a new amp, check your wiring (+ and - ) with a multimeter. Make sure you get 13.8 or 14v positive and negative with the car off. Test again with the car on?

Edited by RANDY

LoL...i would go with the fan idea.....that's if u could fit one thats 120cm :)

I find it strange that the amps dont have an overheat protection. Dont they all these days? (Maybe not the el cheapo)

If its the Power cables that are heating up and frying then your using too thin a cable...

Im looking at mounting two amps next to the battery, one ontop of each other in a kinda "shelf" configuration; ..with space inbetween for ventilation of course.... :)

cheers i was runnin all these amps in r31 and one ran really hot like couldnt touch it!!!!!!! but not the other untill i put it in the boot of this one i am also running a 4gauge wire on all, ill check that power levels c how we hoping 4 the best ill pop a couple of fans in there but the new amp also has fans built on none of the others did

I made a new one out of 12mm MDF from Bunnings, with brackets to make the right-hand side bend... Got loooong bolts and nuts to suit.

Haven't fitted it, probably never will. You would have to squeeze your hand over the top of it to hold the nut or bolt, depending on which way round you start it.

Then, it's so damn heavy, that putting it up with an amp on it is probably going to break the factory brackets for the stock cover. I don't want to drill holes or mount anything permanent, so this idea is kinda out of the window for me. =-[

I went and bought a smaller amp, which sits next to the battery, but try this idea if you like;

If you have a rear strut-brace, mount your amp with (thick) cable ties or some kind of clamp system. Hooks bolted through the screwholes of the amp might even do. (removeable amp).

Then make holes (for cable ties) or a bigger hole (for hook idea) so that you can mount your amp onto the strut-brace after the battery cover is in place.

Only thing to look out for is whether the bottom of the amp is going to be so heavy that it swings inwards and bends the battery cover thing.

im looking at putting my amp on that plastic back wall in the boot, but i found their is a bracket behind there so i might put an mdf board the same size as the amp behind the wall and screw into it ..

ill post pics in the next wk or 2 when i finish of my install

amps get too hot? maybe they are running too hot? depending on your volume requirements go for the largest amp you can afford. for those who cranks them for a long period of time get the amp that double the power output of what you are happy with. so you have more headroom and your amp will run a lot cooler. i wouldnt recommend putting your amp together with the battery behind the cover as they will just heat up together (battery gets hot when they are being charged). the more room around your amp the better.

hope this help

bootr33.jpg

here is a pic of what i done last nite. I pulled out the floor carpet and back wall from the boot.

Then i off-centred the amp, so in case i need to get to the battery i still can. Next up there is a braket right in the middle of the boot, infront of the fuse box which i used to mount one side of the mdf board.

on the right hand side of the boot there are the 2 clips which hold the back wall up, the bottom one of them has a metal bracket which i used to mount the other side of the baord.

Then i put the carpet wall back up and mount the amp / fuse , now i gotta get it wired up when i get a chance later this week.

I have Type R speakers all round, and a Cadence 5 channel amp. My amp is mounted on a removable board where the usual flap is seperating the boot from the battery.

speaking of which.

pics.

sound4.jpg

the board is held in with 2 screws. Sub is removable.

Edited by nsanity

Mounting them on the side of the sub box isn't an option? I had two amps, one on each side of the sub box. The one running the sub only got really hot if I was cranking for half an hour non-stop.

With the wires on both amps covered by a flap of carpet (neither of which are finished in the pic, the carpet is lying on the floor beside the box) until a couple of inches before each amp, and the end plates on the Rockford, it was fairly neat too.

post-578-1159315100.jpg

i have a little problem....

i'm running a 5000W Epsilon amp with 2 x 15" Farehiet subs. i'v built a custom box to fit the boot(only just fit) and had to put the amp underneath the box in the tyre well. (again only just fit). the setup isn't cery cosmetic and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts?????

i'm running a 5000W Epsilon amp with 2 x 15" Farehiet subs. i'v built a custom box to fit the boot(only just fit) and had to put the amp underneath the box in the tyre well. (again only just fit). the setup isn't cery cosmetic and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts?????

There is really only two things you need to consider:

-Is the amp upside down? ....the way amps are designed and the position of the heat sink, they should be mounted vertically or right side up.

-Is there adequate ventilation? ...as long as you have room for air to move around the amp ur fine.

A third thing to consider may also be, how accessable is the controls of the amp...as you dont wanna be fiddling around.

personally , i'd be worrying about the ventilation for the amp and for maintence how hard is it going to be to get to the battery, if there is a problem one night.

maybe mount the amp somewhere else if posssible