SAU Community

Skid Pan Videos

3intheBack

AWD can get some sliding action happening, too, don't you worry! I got caught out one day, but luckily had plenty of room to recover and gathered it up.

Can't wait to visit a skid-pan day to explore ATESSA in full effect... :laugh:

AWD can get some sliding action happening, too, don't you worry! I got caught out one day, but luckily had plenty of room to recover and gathered it up.

Can't wait to visit a skid-pan day to explore ATESSA in full effect... :happy:

I've had my car on a skidpan. using the 50/50 and 80/20 split does change how it works, but i found it very hard to slide the rear and keep it sliding. the front would pull in almost straight away, even faster when in 50/50 split. they have a bit of understeer, much mroe than my skyline did, but no where near as much as a FWD car. i did a defensive driving course, and i think everyone should do it. it taught me a whole lot more about how my car reacted in certain situations.

Below is an excerpt from an email I got from Nizmo, Apparently he has seen my video on Youtube.

hehehe

Dear Mr Polley

It has come to our attention that you have been subjecting your vehicle to driving conditions outside normal parameters.

This flagrent disregard of your vehicle leaves us no choice but to recind your warranty and all costs of repairs are now yours.

Regards

E P

Motorsports Director

Skyline Imports

Edited by 3intheBack

I dont know Ernie that well, but we have mutual friend (who I suspect forwarded the youtube weblinks to him) and if they are anything similar, then it will be all done with tongue firmly in cheek.

Either way, I believe any import warranty only lasts 6 months anyhow.

Besides, if I needed to prove anything, I think I could have a good case that I was well within the 'normal parameters' for the 'use and abuse' of a Stagea. Otherwise no one would be allowed to take their cars onto a skid pan.

With tongue also placed firmly in cheek - here was my reply email.

Dearest Mr Parry,

Thank you for your concern for your (ex) Stagea’s wellbeing. Admittedly with 3 kids and a wife, the car’s interior has not received the love and care that it has been used to by its previous two owners. But it is a love of different kind – the kind that only a child with sticky fingers can give. Plus, as you would have witnessed in the “figure of 8” video, she was giving it the thumbs up.

The outside of the Stagea is subjected to a weekly sponge bath and then affectionately caressed with a chamois. It is tucked into a warm bed every night and gets a few other little surprises – but only when no one is looking.

The inside of the motor is given a synthetic drink every 5000 k’s, and a high octane berocca every 500k’s. I have surgically removed the very small lump in its throat that was causing it to display asthmatic symptoms every time it went over 5000 rpm. The small lump has been replaced by a larger 750cfm honeycomb. This has had the added bonus of freeing up the turbo, which now squeals and whistles with delight. In fact, on occasion, when I turn the radio off, I have heard the turbo whisper “give it to me some more”. It reminds me of that Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs Song – ‘Whistle while you work”.

Strangely enough, the car does at times display sado-masochistic tendencies – but that’s another story. Although, this is my point…at the skid day the Senior Instructor’s motto was, “Don’t ask, what do I need to do to make the car slide, rather, ask what is the car telling me to do to make it slide.” As evident in the video it was telling me a lot of things very loudly and enjoying my enthusiastic response.

As to the question of warranty. Firstly, I never knew it had any. Secondly I never knew it needed any. The Stagea was bought on the platform of sportiness, mild luxury, functionality and bullet proof reliability.

So far the vehicle has fulfilled all these criteria admirably and I expect it to continue into the foreseeable future. So I am glad that you have reinserted the claytons warranty from whence it came.

I will be in contact the next time I want to give the engine a diet of extra fruit.

Sincerely Yours

Warren Polley

Skidpan Services Coordinator

I dont know Ernie that well, but we have mutual friend (who I suspect forwarded the youtube weblinks to him) and if they are anything similar, then it will be all done with tongue firmly in cheek.

Either way, I believe any import warranty only lasts 6 months anyhow.

Besides, if I needed to prove anything, I think I could have a good case that I was well within the 'normal parameters' for the 'use and abuse' of a Stagea. Otherwise no one would be allowed to take their cars onto a skid pan.

With tongue also placed firmly in cheek - here was my reply email.

Dearest Mr Parry,

Thank you for your concern for your (ex) Stagea’s wellbeing. Admittedly with 3 kids and a wife, the car’s interior has not received the love and care that it has been used to by its previous two owners. But it is a love of different kind – the kind that only a child with sticky fingers can give. Plus, as you would have witnessed in the “figure of 8” video, she was giving it the thumbs up.

The outside of the Stagea is subjected to a weekly sponge bath and then affectionately caressed with a chamois. It is tucked into a warm bed every night and gets a few other little surprises – but only when no one is looking.

The inside of the motor is given a synthetic drink every 5000 k’s, and a high octane berocca every 500k’s. I have surgically removed the very small lump in its throat that was causing it to display asthmatic symptoms every time it went over 5000 rpm. The small lump has been replaced by a larger 750cfm honeycomb. This has had the added bonus of freeing up the turbo, which now squeals and whistles with delight. In fact, on occasion, when I turn the radio off, I have heard the turbo whisper “give it to me some more”. It reminds me of that Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs Song – ‘Whistle while you work”.

Strangely enough, the car does at times display sado-masochistic tendencies – but that’s another story. Although, this is my point…at the skid day the Senior Instructor’s motto was, “Don’t ask, what do I need to do to make the car slide, rather, ask what is the car telling me to do to make it slide.” As evident in the video it was telling me a lot of things very loudly and enjoying my enthusiastic response.

As to the question of warranty. Firstly, I never knew it had any. Secondly I never knew it needed any. The Stagea was bought on the platform of sportiness, mild luxury, functionality and bullet proof reliability.

So far the vehicle has fulfilled all these criteria admirably and I expect it to continue into the foreseeable future. So I am glad that you have reinserted the claytons warranty from whence it came.

I will be in contact the next time I want to give the engine a diet of extra fruit.

Sincerely Yours

Warren Polley

Skidpan Services Coordinator

lmfao i love your style what is their problem anyway.sounds like the hidden wanker clause comming to light ive had a few yards in the past try shit like that before.oh and i didnt see you racing it or did i miss something :ermm:

Found out who the mystery email writer was...it WASN'T Ernie, just the 'mutual friend' that I mentioned in a previous post, who was at his work and sent the email from there.

I am posting his last email as proof and I hope that his little prank wont backfire, because I dont want Ernie's reputation tarnished.

Email Qoute:

Hi Warren,

I must confess it was I who sent that email and it was just a bit of cheek… as if Ernie would give a warranty!

Good to see you are making good use of it.

Seeya soon

E J

End qoute

P.S. Ernie is alive and well - I posted his contacts in the Stagea Parts Dealer Thread.

I still stand by my reply email though... :)

Have you guys got any good ideas for a payback???

Edited by 3intheBack

Flyer28_10_06.pdf

Just in case any of you guys are interested, the above attachement is a copy of the flyer for the next skid pan day that we are having on Sat 28 Oct.

I hope I dont get done for plagarising "Slidewise." It was a name that we thought up and then found out it was already being used as a business name of one of SAU's sponsor.

It evolved from the following line of thought:

Wheelspin + Boost = Action

Action + Opposite Lock = Control

Control + Education = Style

Action + Control + Style = Slidewise

This basically sums up the day - not just to have fun, but to learn how to slide and control your car in numerous situations - a bit like a defensive driving course, but not so sappy. Plus we have a few competitions with prizes etc. One of them being a dyno run.

We limit the day to 14 cars on a 4 min rotation so we all get heaps of track time.

Compared to a motorkhana it is great value. On a motorkhana you $40 and get maybe two races - a total of less then 4 mins on the track all day, even less if your fast.

Edited by 3intheBack

Cool vids, it's nice to see an Aussie-delivered Stagea out on a skidpan...

Flyer28_10_06.pdf

I hope I dont get done for plagarising "Slidewise." It was a name that we thought up and then found out it was already being used as a business name of one of SAU's sponsor.

You know what's funny, the guy who runs/owns/whatever Slidewise, and posts under the name "Slide" - his name is also Aaron, just like the guy who's helped you set up the skidpan day...