SAU Community

Whats Wrong With My System?

neshgtr

hey guys.. im running an alpine headunit with apline 6.5" splits in the front.. have two JL 12" subs boxed in the boot running off a 4ch 800w amp (avalanche - its borrowed unit).. running 0 gauge wire for power through middle of the car and rca leads from driver side..

my prob is that my sub doesnt seem to work at times.. the other day i had it cranking.. last nite there was barely any bass and splits sounded weak.. im thinking maybe the amp is playing up to both the subs and splits.. my other suspect is the battery which is stock jap one that came in the car and looks tiny..

is it my battery thats too small to power my setup or my amp dats not providing power?

rgds

nesh

I would check your connections at the amp first... especially if it is an intermittant problem...

Also check your RCA leads are also in properly and that they have no breaks in them..... if they are stressed at the headunit it doesn't take long to cause problems.

Off my little jap battery I am running 2 amps, tv, 2 subs, front components and rears. It wouldn't be the battery as you would notice other things such as dull headlights etc.

ill check out the connection on the amp again tonight.. plenty of wire at the back of headunit.. also my car needs to be jump started quite often if i have music on.. is it fuse related at all? or alternator not charging properly.. car started fine before installing the system..

could possibly be the amp, those 800watt avalanche amps are really shitty, and trying to drive two 12's of it is gota be stressing them out big time.

check for heat on the amps, possibly overheating and the amp protection is kicking in.

are you running the front splits of the amp as well? if so you should disconnect them if you dont want to kill the amp.

but if they are running of the HU, could possibly be an issue with your HU,

All three of them are right.

if you think it's your batery just get a multi meter and hook it up to your interior light. it should read between 12v to 15v depending.

i run a ludacris sized system in my 33. i get 14.4 when it's off and about 12.5 when it's on(not cranked).(when the cars on)

The thing id be checking is if u have a 0 gauge cable to ur body of ur car straight to ur negative terminal of ur battery, and also if u have a 0 guage cable to ur car to ur amp. If u do id then check that on ur negative cable from ur car to ur amp make sure u have scraped off all the paint where the lug sits and its a good tight connection.

thnx for the comments guys.. i have fixed the prob for now my replacing my amp with a boss 1000w (cuzn's)..

battery seems to be fine as after the amp changeover i dont have probs with flat battery.. my ground wire is an 8 gauge which is mounted properly and have a 0 gauge to 8 gauge power distribution block to connect power to the amp..

couple of things im curious about.. will the boss amp i have currently be able to run bout sub and splits together as r33tom suggested it would kill my amp..

looking at the alpine range of amps, wots good for running both sub and amp without worries..

dats sounds good mate.. also wondering wot difference it makes having a bass engine compatible amp.. my headunit has bass engine so getting an amp that uses that feature should make for better sound? looking at getting a 12" R type sub and V12 amp since my JL subs are borrowed.. maybe I should buy the JL subs off my mate instead :-) although doesnt leave much space in the boot

Well,

I know that a head unit's bass engine is talking about the bass settings, frequencies, level adjustments etc.

So im guessing an amp will say it has bass engine features but what there talking about is, it has settings on there to control ur bass. which is pretty common on a sub amplifier. So u can have a bass engine head unit with any amp u want but check the amp has the frequencies and settings u want. Also if u buy the type r u might want to buy the bigger 4 channel v12 amp to run it sweeter than sweet.

firstly if your trying to run alot of power you will need a bigger battery, secondly 0 guage is a ridiculous size for your system size, 8 guage would be ideal for you, also make sure you ground is as big if not bigger then the power cable, also as mentioned before the avalanch amp would not be powerful enough to run all your speakers any way hope you sort it out :D

also secondly, trying to get the boss amp to run all your speakers will stress it alot, you can buy a response 2 channel sub amp from either jaycar or ebay for fairly cheap which is something like 2x 350 watt rms @ 4Ohm which should be fine for you set up :) and would give your subs alot of extra kick, and i just read you had 0awg to 8awg through a splitter thats fine :mad:

Edited by nemz