SAU Community

Scratches In Glass

iz32

• 2 weeks later...

you can only try if the scratches arnt that deep it will come out bout if there to deep the polish wont hert i had a car come bock from the painters with over spray on the windscreen polish and the buff got it straight off

• 3 years later...

Hi, I have some scratches in my windscreen from a windscreen wiper which broke - the metal on the windscreen wiper arm scratched my windscreen. I would prefer to fix this at home. Do I use normal paint polish or can you buy glass polish?

Sorry, but I can only add that Autoglym Glass Polish does NOT remove scratches from windscreens. The company recommends a glass company eg Novus, O'Briens etc. possibly a detailer?

I usually use a Driven extreme duty glass cleaner to remove heavy water spots and some light scratches caused by grit that have been stuck on wiper blades.

http://www.reflecteffect.com.au/products.p...s&prodId=c1

I do this with a rotary and a cutting foam pad as it would be abit of work doing it by hand. It does leave some micro scratches so you will need to follow it up with a meduim abrasive polish.

easy job you will need cerium oxide if they are light Scratches, if they can be felt with a fingernail they will need to be ground out with a stone first < i would not do this if you have never done it :)

you will want

some cerium oxide powder for the polishing

a polishing pad (suggest lambs wool, felt or leather) mounted on a backing disc

low speed drill (1500 rpm or less) to use with the polishing pad - polishing too fast will generate excessive heat and may crack the glass. :/

a marking crayon to mark the inside of the glass (use this to guide you when polishing)a cleaning cloth to wipe and allow inspection of the work area

small spray bottle - use to apply mixture to glass and keep moist while polishing

how to do it

1. Mix some polish into water to a form a thin slurry (eg. milk-like consistency) - we suggest mixing in a small spray bottle which can be used to apply to polishing pad
  2. Clean glass thoroughly to remove all traces of dirt and grease
  3. Apply polish mixture to the polishing pad
  4. Mark the inside of the glass with the crayon to identify the area to be worked
  5. Mount pad in the drill and apply to work area.
  6. Move pad up and down, left and right in work area.
  7. Keep the surface wet to prevent glass getting hot - if sufficient polish has already been applied, then just spray a fine mist of water to keep the area cool.
  8. Wipe off residue and inspect repair - keep working until polish is satisfactory
  9. Wash and store pad for later use

Edited by cthawes

Thanks for the information guys.

Davexr8 - I will definitely look into that product to fix another issue with another one of my cars.

cthawes - where do you get cerium oxide from?