SAU Community

Very Urgent - Trying To Locate Prvious R33 Owner

I have taken this off cruisingbrisbane.com as they told me Phil found this car for sale on this forum...

I am trying to locate the previous owner of this R33:

64487318.Lgtg3Mqw.pic02.jpg

64487454.7MR7s7y4.pic06.jpg

I know both number plates are different, I am not sure what order the photos were taken - but it is the same car. I bought the car in March from Brisbane, from a guy called Phil who is a member on this forum. Since I bought her I have rebuilt the engine with forged internals, and went to throw her on the dyno today only to find the stupid MoTeC M600 has been locked by the previous tune which was done here:

64279464.UDLMbXrn.dynoaftermods.JPG

A mate of mine knows the guy who he thought worked at 101 Motorsport Cafe, but found out tonight he has since sold the business. (2 months ago). Never the less, if someone knows the person before Phil owned the car, who had her tuned at 101 Motorsport Cafe, can they please let me know ASAP.

I need to unlock to MoTeC before she can be tuned, and my mate Dale (on many forums known as 10sec_rx7) leaves Darwin on Tuesday lunch to go back to Sydney.

If anyone can help... please do so!

:(

Phee

Nobody knows who owned it before Phil?

I don't think Phil was the guy who got her tuned, I think it was the owner prior to him so I want to find him to see if he knows the password to unlock the Motec so I can tune her.

That's just bloody ridiculous. Stupid tuners locking the ecu. It makes the thing basically useless.

Basiaclly, I would approach the business, and just let them know nicely, that you want to get your ecu retuned, and that they had previously locked it, and therefore, you need the code.

If they object, saying that the tune is their property, say, ok, fine, unlock it, and i'll let you delete the tune or something of that sort.

But basiaclly, imo, it's wrong, and if I knew that a workshop did that, I wouldn't go there.

The idea is that it's meant to be programmable e.g. like with a powerfc, you can change it via the handset. If some bastard has locked it ...

Have you contacted 'phil' and asked him?

Phil wouldn't have been the one who tuned the car, it would have been the owner before Phil who did all the mods on her. I was hoping that since that Phil only owned the car from Dec 05 to March 06, someone would still know who owned it before him and I could ask him, but I doubt he would know it either. I have a few options on what I can do.

1) Call 101 Motorcafe first thing Monday morning and see if they will release (know) the password. A mate of mine who owns PF is mates with the guy who he thought owned 101 but apparently sold the business 2 months ago and doesn't really care about telling us what the code is. I hope the new owners are a bit more considerate.

2) If we have no luck with 101 then I have mates who have direct contact with the inside people at MoTeC, and might be able to help me out getting an override code.

3) If all of the above fail, yet another mate has the powers to download the file to override everything and start from scratch. Dale told me this will take about 4 - 5 hours on the dyno, which is a long haul, but he is willing to do it for me which is awesome of him.

I am pulling all my contacts out of my black book for this one :)

Edited by phee

We got her unlocked. Dale spoke with the Tech guys at MoTeC directly after we told thm what 101 wanted to unlock the code and they talked Dale through it over the phone.

101 wanted $1000 for the code, so a few of us banded together to give them a hard time. It is only going to get worse. Zoom, Hot4's, Race and Perth Street Car all know what 101 have done and they are going to be printing articles about it.

If I lived in QLD I would NOT be taking any car near 101. The tunes aren't that spectacular so I have heard anyway, and if they lock your ECU and you want to take it somewhere else, you have to either give them $1,000 or take it to them, they will charge you dyno time to put a base map in her, and then you'll need to get it towed to the place you want to tune her.

If you like headaches, and being f**ked over, go to 101 motorcafe.

I had this discussion with my engine builder back in the 60s when I built my car.

He suggests that its actually illegal for a tuner to do this - being so long ago I can't actually remember the specifics of where this fell in terms of being illegal - but I'd tend to think along the lines of goods not fit for sale. Though you didn't directly pay for the tune so I suppose in that respect you're at a standstill.

HTH.

Nothing new for workshops to do this.........Quite common when you ask around.

A well known one in melb that deals with mainly VLT's comes to mind...................