* Phillps Head Screw Driver

* Electrical Tape

* Beer

Wire Colour Code ;

* Red = key on power supply

* Black = common chassis ground

* White = dash lighting power

* Green = tachometer signal for standard or electronic ignitions

* Twin Black = (looks like a lamp cord) is used on External Coil Magneto tachometers that use an inductive pick up ( Shift Light )

image848oq0.th.jpg

image850lm9.th.jpg

Steps ;

1. Depending on your engine capacity (4 cyl, 6 cyl, 8 cyl) there are two wires coloured Orange and Brown,

If you’re a 4 cyl engine cut both wires so that they become 4 separate wires. If 6 cyl Cut the Brown wire only,

If 8 cyl do NOT cut any of these wires.

image849ll6.th.jpg

2. Placing your Tachometer in the correct position that suits you, As you can see in the below picture I’ve picked the left of the dash.

I found it easier installing here because I could feed the wires through the air conditioning vent.

image001nv4.th.jpg

3. Feeding your wires through to the centre console, Depending on where you put your tachometer, this step will vary.

I decided to feed my wires through the centre vent by individually feeding each wire through the vent and down to the centre console.

This A. Looks Neat and B. Close to connection.

image008fc3.th.jpg

image009kh0.th.jpg

4. Installing every wire individually ;

Red ; . Obviously the Red wire is Power, but you would want this to connect via ignition start, this means

when you turn the key the tacho comes on. On the stock R32 loom, the ignition wire is coloured Blue, Depending on how you want

to do it, Connect the red wire to this wire.

Black ; The black wire can be connected to anything that’s connected to the ground. Since I’ve had a head unit installed in my R32

I've used the head unit's ground cable which is also black.

White ; For the Dash lighting power I’ve connected my white wire to the R32's Dim switch, You may however place it in a different place,

e.g. Cigarette Lighter. The Dim switch may vary on everyone’s car as they do not come stock, mine was located under the steering column.

Green ; The Hardest wire to connect is the tachometer signal wire. Make sure you have enough wire to feed this all the way to the cars ecu.

The ecu is located in the bottom left kick panel of the passenger side. There are three phillp screws shown in the picture below, Remove them and

pull casing off. There you will see your car's ecu. Using the square nose plier or something similar, undo the gold nut in the middle of the clip

Anti-clockwise ( can be very tight ) upon pulling the clip out of the ecu, locate the 7th pin on the second row ( Should be a yellow wire with red stripe )

As shown in the picture, Cut the wire and connect them like so, so that the wire is still intact and the green wire is also connected. Once done, replace clip

and casing.

image010sa4.th.jpg

image020ig4.th.jpg

image019uq3.th.jpg

5. Finished, Start Car and do some tests...

Enjoy!

image007ag9.th.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hey, did you cut the red and yellow wire before it went into the fuse that connected it to the blue/ red and yellow wires or before this box when it was just a red and blue wire?

Just that my tacho is reading from 500-1000 rpm off

• 1 year later...
Hey, did you cut the red and yellow wire before it went into the fuse that connected it to the blue/ red and yellow wires or before this box when it was just a red and blue wire?

Just that my tacho is reading from 500-1000 rpm off

I havnt installed a tach as yet but I dont think that would make a diff its the wires for 4,6,8cyl that need to be right becos it reads the ignition signals try that but as I sed havnt done one so just guessing

• 1 month later...