SAU Community

Diy R34 Manual Conversion Using R33 Parts

E_Lu-SHuN

More questions. I started collecting the required parts but need to clarify a couple more things from anyone who's done this:

1. Can I reuse my original auto gearbox mount and cross member with the manual box? Both are R34.

2. Can I reuse my original auto shifter trim and just add a leather gaiter for the manual shifter? The cutout in the manual trim seems a bit bigger (see photos below), I'm just wanting to make sure that there's enough space for the shifter to move.

3. There's a fair bit of tar and grime inside the bellhousing of the manual gearbox that's going in and it's sitting pretty tight, what's the best way to clean that up?

Thanks guys!

13164627415_c6d7986e64_z.jpg

Edited by V28VX37

To answer your questions after doing the conversion myself to my R34:

1) The Auto cross member and mount can be re-used

2) Yes, you can use your auto shifter trim. the shifter should not foul against it. I re-used mine. I bought a new leather gear boot and stapled velcro to the edges. Then I stuck 3m adhesive velcro to the underside of the shifter trim so the shifter boot stuck onto the trim.

3) Yes, you should clean the inside of the bellhousing, as you don't want that stuff in between your clutch. I used a wire brush, water, plenty of degreaser. Alternatively, oven cleaner or JIF could help

To answer your questions after doing the conversion myself to my R34:

1) The Auto cross member and mount can be re-used

2) Yes, you can use your auto shifter trim. the shifter should not foul against it. I re-used mine. I bought a new leather gear boot and stapled velcro to the edges. Then I stuck 3m adhesive velcro to the underside of the shifter trim so the shifter boot stuck onto the trim.

3) Yes, you should clean the inside of the bellhousing, as you don't want that stuff in between your clutch. I used a wire brush, water, plenty of degreaser. Alternatively, oven cleaner or JIF could help

Fantastic, thanks mate, that's brilliant info!!

Ok more questions... I've ordered a new inner rubber boot for the gear lever as it's torn. How do I remove the wider top part of the lever to get it on there? It seems like it's glued on or something.

Also, am I meant to have a white nylon bush on the bottom knob of the lever? Where can I get one of those in Melb?

13287266113_0b835ce471_z.jpg

Edited by V28VX37

that top bit unsrews, i got my.nylon bush from nissan, make sure u get a r34 one as r33 ones are bigger and very similar part number. i'll see if i can find the part number.

Thanks. I'm not being very successful in unscrewing the top part, it seems like there's some rubber mounting between it and the bottom part?

Just Jap lists the Nylon bush as 32861-H7301, can anyone confirm if that is correct for the R34?

Thanks. I'm not being very successful in unscrewing the top part, it seems like there's some rubber mounting between it and the bottom part?

Just Jap lists the Nylon bush as 32861-H7301, can anyone confirm if that is correct for the R34?

Had the same issue 3 months ago, the top part WON'T come off, so stop trying!

The boot is installed from the top (where the shift knob screws on). This description is going to sound a little weird, so bear with me :-o Lubricate the small hole & the shaft With a lubricant (oil or water based, as long as its slippery). Guide the shaft into the small hole, OK, enough, the small hole of the boot WILL stretch over the widest part of the shaft without tearing. I had my doubt's, but it does go over easily with a good amount of lube.

Yes you need a bush on the bottom of the shifter. You could enquire with gktech.com if they have a solid brass bush for the R34's. Some people like the improved shift feel they provide, but I'd stay with the factory nylon.

• Like 2

Ok that worked a treat, the new dust boot is now in place. For future reference the Nissan part number is 32862 (BOOT RUBBER C/L). About $10 + postage off eBay.

I also got the nylon bush from a local Nissan dealership, the part number is 32861-H7301 (BUSH CONTROL LE) - this is for R34, R33 is different. Just Jap also sell these: http://justjap.com/index.php/genuine-nissan-gear-shifter-lower-bush-nissan-s13-silvia-a31-cefiro-r31-r32-gts-and-gts-t-r33-gts-and-r34-gt-t-and-gt-r.html

One more question: How do you install the circlip that holds the upper plastic ring (and the gear lever) in place? Mine seems pretty loose but there's probably a trick to make it work.

One more question: How do you install the circlip that holds the upper plastic ring (and the gear lever) in place? Mine seems pretty loose but there's probably a trick to make it work.

So this part:

13496932943_ffc116ce39_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I'm missing another circlip/lock ring, see below, any idea where to get one in Melb/Aus?

These too are available from your local Nissan dealership, part number is 32204-V5004 (RING-SNAP).

• 2 weeks later...

That second ring looks like it could be a back up ring that would sit underneath the circlip, cant be too sure, as I didn't pay too much attention when I did mine. :unsure:

You need a pair of INSIDE circlip pliers, like these:

circleclip-pliers-i-L.jpg

Straight will probably be the go. Just pop the shifter in, put it in third, squeeze the circlip & snap it into the groove. Where the gap sits doesn't matter too much, just make sure you put it in an easy spot to get access to it if you need to!

Mine was alittle loose in the groove, so don't stress. Maybe mine was missing the back up ring!!!

• Like 1

Thanks 533 RYC!

The conversion is partially done but they've hit a snag with the hydraulics ... Does anyone know if R33 and R34 clutch master cylinders are interchangeable?

If not, is there an easy way to tell which one I've got (based on a photo)?

Cheers

What dramas are you having?

So you've got an R34 GTT gearbox?

Did you use all R34 hydraulic parts?

What are the sizes are the Master cylinder & slave cylinder?

I'm not sure if R33 & R34 parts are interchangeable, as R33 is push type & R34 is pull type.

Seeings as the R34 GTT is a pull type, when refitting the gearbox, it is VERY critical that the input shaft is not bashed around going through the pressure plate. Engagement of the release bearing to the pressure plate is also critical. If it didn't engage properly, this could give you dramas.

Check out this thread if you haven't already found it:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/268118-r34-gt-t-clutch-install-guide/

Pictures would be great!

What dramas are you having?

So you've got an R34 GTT gearbox?

Did you use all R34 hydraulic parts?

What are the sizes are the Master cylinder & slave cylinder?

I'm not sure if R33 & R34 parts are interchangeable, as R33 is push type & R34 is pull type.

Seeings as the R34 GTT is a pull type, when refitting the gearbox, it is VERY critical that the input shaft is not bashed around going through the pressure plate. Engagement of the release bearing to the pressure plate is also critical. If it didn't engage properly, this could give you dramas.

Check out this thread if you haven't already found it:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/268118-r34-gt-t-clutch-install-guide/

Pictures would be great!

Thanks mate, pics below!

Not sure about master and slave sizes but they're both OEM, just wanting to confirm that they're R34 GTT and not R33 GTS-T.

The workshop has installed and wired everything up but they're having trouble engaging the clutch and asked me whether the master cylinder is an R34 item.

We are using an R34 gearbox and all R34 parts except for an R33 tailshaft front half. Brand new pull type NPC clutch.

13949995770_c8c3a0675a.jpg

13949950337_b9f65c13c6.jpg

14133692712_af5c04e829.jpg