SAU Community

Intercooler Water Spray - Trigger Point

MearCat

Intercooler water spray trigger point  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mad082

That's why you also need a low cap on the turn on point. spray wont activate until a certain temp. on a 40 degree day, the lowest you will be able to get the intake temps is 40 degrees.

using just a hobbs switch would very quickly run out the water supply

I ask this then - if the spray is triggered based on a temp, then what advantage would reading the the inlet temperature be over having the temperature read at the outlet side of the intercooler. After a good workout, an intercooler core inlet side will be hot and the outlet side will (hopefully) be cool. Having the thermistor mounted in the fins right next to the outlet end tank should read a very similar temperature to the engine inlet temps. I don't think there would be much of an advantage using an inlet temp instead of intercooler core temp as the comparison against ambient temps.

by inlet temp i assume you mean IC inlet temp, and the advantages of that i what is wrote in response to pauls post on the first page. i would mount the sensor in the actual stream of airflow, rather then taking temps of the core itself. if the cores temp is too high, it will show on the temp of the intake charge, so measuring that i believe is more effective. the primary concern is air charge temps, and measuring the cores temp doesnt always give a good indication of that.

An intermitant spray of say 2 in 20, and a off switch and to full for the hot runs, and really its the hot season that a cooler comes into its own, if you want to measure heat soak you will be wanting to monitor the actual metal temps, so a sensor away from the airflow on the cap end of outlet would give a realistic reading, when you have it up and running pm me with details please

Terry

by inlet temp i assume you mean IC inlet temp, and the advantages of that i what is wrote in response to pauls post on the first page. i would mount the sensor in the actual stream of airflow, rather then taking temps of the core itself. if the cores temp is too high, it will show on the temp of the intake charge, so measuring that i believe is more effective. the primary concern is air charge temps, and measuring the cores temp doesnt always give a good indication of that.

Actually - when I said inlet temperature, I mean inlet into the engine temperature - AFTER the intercooler.

I agree that the the primary concern is the air charge temps into the engine, and measuring the actual airflow rather than the outlet side of the intercooler code may provide a more accurate temperature reading (though how much more effective that would be can't really be substantiated without actual tests and numbers). Unfortunately it comes down to cost. For a lot of people, cost will be a deciding factor whether to purchase an intercooler spray or not rather than getting that extra x% effectiveness.

Another mode for the water spray activation would be to use the ECU earth wire from the stock boost solenoid... you will have spray from 5000RPM till Redline... Just a thought

Regards,

Sarkis

• 3 months later...

Well the intercooler spray controller I was designing and building has been finished, tested and ready to buy if any wants one. See http://people.aapt.net.au/~mearcat/Kits for some very postitive test results thanks to Ian (ID : CEF11E). It basically replicates the well-known Autospeed intercooler spray controller functionality but for HALF the price and half the box size too.