SAU Community

Change Exhaust?

Hi there guys I was wondering if it would be worth it to change the exhaust of a automatic skyline r34 gt-4, would there be noticable change in performance? I was wondering which exhaust would u guys recomment, by the way, if it's beneficial to change, I'm going to get a quieter exhaust, not one of those that u can hear from 2 streets down, I like a nice sound but not those terribly loud ones.

Thank you.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there guys I was wondering if it would be worth it to change the exhaust of a automatic skyline r34 gt-4, would there be noticable change in performance? I was wondering which exhaust would u guys recomment, by the way, if it's beneficial to change, I'm going to get a quieter exhaust, not one of those that u can hear from 2 streets down, I like a nice sound but not those terribly loud ones.

Thank you.

If you have the money to spare go for it. Try any exhaust shop you can find so you can work with them to go after what you're specifically aiming for.

with most cars the standard exhaust is where the restriction lies, due to emissions, noise, etc. so you can expect to pull a bit of power there.

like ignuz said, speak with your local shop and see what they can offer you.

as a reference no bigger than 2.5" piping, and budget for a decent catyltic convertor, resonators, the muffler will also have a largish effect on how it sounds - so have a look for a nice muffler, not a 4" cannon.

with most cars the standard exhaust is where the restriction lies, due to emissions, noise, etc. so you can expect to pull a bit of power there.

like ignuz said, speak with your local shop and see what they can offer you.

as a reference no bigger than 2.5" piping, and budget for a decent catyltic convertor, resonators, the muffler will also have a largish effect on how it sounds - so have a look for a nice muffler, not a 4" cannon.

hmm sorry if i sound like a real car noob.. i use to drive an echo.. but what piping? I know muffler but have no idea what's a resonator or a catyltic converter (that's a mouthful) can you explain to me what that is?

Thank you.

hmm sorry if i sound like a real car noob.. i use to drive an echo.. but what piping? I know muffler but have no idea what's a resonator or a catyltic converter (that's a mouthful) can you explain to me what that is?

Thank you.

http://www.meineke.com/stuff_about_cars/how_work_exhaust.asp ( thats where I got the pic below from.. you can interact with it and click on various parts to learn more ) So when someone says to you at an exhaust shop what kind of exhaust do you want.. you mainly want a cat-back. (Exhaust extending from your 'cat' (catalytic converter) to the tail pipe.

4c2e836.jpg

http://www.meineke.com/stuff_about_cars/how_work_exhaust.asp ( thats where I got the pic below from.. you can interact with it and click on various parts to learn more ) So when someone says to you at an exhaust shop what kind of exhaust do you want.. you mainly want a cat-back. (Exhaust extending from your 'cat' (catalytic converter) to the tail pipe.

4c2e836.jpg

Thanks alot mate.. just 1 last question.. roughly how much would this put me back by? and any recommended exhaust shops in sydney?

cheers

so is 400 for cat back? how much would it cost for 2.5 inch full exhaust starting from headers?

Starting from headers is starting from the cat.. :) should cost you $400 at the bare minimum...if you look around many exhaust shops and haggle.. you should be prepared to spend up to $700 though.

lol I was being pretty generous with the $400 mark.. but that's around what I got at hi-tech a couple of months ago.. All comes down to haggling :)

really? nice. what was the quote for exactly? cat? pipes and muffler?

i was looking at the new metalcat or magnaflow ones (to go with the new extractors/exhaust) and they are retailing for around $200 odd, but funnily enough a mate sent me an ebay link for a magnaflow for $140ish which i thought was alright.

p.s - on the topic of exhausts, we are currently running a group buy on coby extractors from new zealand. click the link in my signature for details.

really? nice. what was the quote for exactly? cat? pipes and muffler?

i was looking at the new metalcat or magnaflow ones (to go with the new extractors/exhaust) and they are retailing for around $200 odd, but funnily enough a mate sent me an ebay link for a magnaflow for $140ish which i thought was alright.

p.s - on the topic of exhausts, we are currently running a group buy on coby extractors from new zealand. click the link in my signature for details.

for memory cat-back cost me $590ish. No idea on exact cost of each part.. They fabricate it all themselves.

sorry i ment to say including headers, but im guessing just add another 200 ish onto that 590? so around 790 and you have yourself a very good exhaust? am i right in saying that ?

Well.. including headers.. there's a group buy thread going on them at the moment.. and we're pretty much getting them at $180 each.. with a few added costs.. but yea.. roughly around there if you dhop hard enough..

For sound u should get XForce VAREX.. Just got it installed yesterday..

The way can adjust the volume of the exhaust, datz priceless..

Got it for $499 and installed from catback for $440..

any more details on this volume adjustment?

When u turn the volume down it sounds like stock wen u open up it got deep sound..

uhhh yeah... i got that much already... i was referring more to how? brand? cost? pics? etc?