SAU Community

Rear View Mirror /steering Wheel Vibration

HolyEvil

hey there guys, another noob question by myself.. =)

the rear view mirror tends to vibrate once it reaches speed of 60-70 (i think about this speed) and above and it's pretty irritating, cuz..hehe at higher speeds, i can't check for cop cars behind me. and all the cars behind are at a blur..i have to hold the rear view mirror to make out the lights on the car..

anyway to eliminate this shake?

another problem (if it's called a problem) is that the steering wheel tends to vibrate/shake once it gets to speeds about 80-90, is there anyway to stop this? or is this a problem with my steering.. in my previous car a toyota echo, the steering wheel don't vibrate (silghtly) till i get to 130-140 (altho the whole car was kinda wobbly)... i don't understand why a skyline's steering wheel's feel isn't as good as a toyota echo.. anyway to fix this?

i don't mind paying a little money to get rid of these problem.

cheers

the mirror, get a chunk of rubber and wedge it between the glass and the mirrors arm. worked for me and cost nothing. the steering wheel i also have the same issues. try a wheel alignment and balance. get the steerin system checked over. things like rubbers etc on the steering arms and that

Sounds like you need a wheel balance, if it still does it at higher speeds get an on car balance, fixed my problem, oh yeah your mirror will probably stop shaking too.

Sounds like you need a wheel balance, if it still does it at higher speeds get an on car balance, fixed my problem, oh yeah your mirror will probably stop shaking too.

hi there the wheel balance is a wheel alignment? what is a car balance?

cheers

A wheel balance is where they take the wheel and spin it, a sensor on the machine that spins it detects any imbalance in the gyroscopic effect and recommends a weigth and a position for it.

A wheel alignment is done on a bed with 4 pads and the alignment of each wheel is checked in relation to each other, so that it drives straight and corners properly without undue tyre wear.

A vibration could be the result of an unbalanced wheel or 2 wheels fighting for direction.

A wheel balance is where they take the wheel and spin it, a sensor on the machine that spins it detects any imbalance in the gyroscopic effect and recommends a weigth and a position for it.

A wheel alignment is done on a bed with 4 pads and the alignment of each wheel is checked in relation to each other, so that it drives straight and corners properly without undue tyre wear.

A vibration could be the result of an unbalanced wheel or 2 wheels fighting for direction.

*nods* alrite thanks =)

i think i just had a wheel balance, I just got new rims/tyres put on my car about 5 days back.. so the balance of the car should be fine.. I think i'll take it for a wheel alignment tomorrow

thanks =)

I had much the same problem, I had 2 wheel alignments and numerous balances but it wasn't untill I had an on car balance that it went away.

Usually the weights used are in the 10-20 gramm range, I needed 58 on one and 62 an the other, whch is unusual so he said.

A wheel alignment generally is not a cure for wheel vibration.

If you had new wheel / tyre combo fitted, are the wheels "hub-centric" (they need to be)? The other possibilities are things like worn steering bushes, worn steering rack, loose wheel bearings.

The mob that sold you the wheels should be able to diagnose and fix the vibration.

Its funny how many people balance up wheels (especially aftermarket rims with stick on weights) and just get it close. In my experience with stick on weights it is quite time consuming to get it perfect. Like Blind Elk said go back to them for a fix..especially if it has only happened since getting the new wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, i tried wheel alignment/balance alreadey and the rearview mirror is still wobbly.. can you tell me where to get the rubber from? and wat type of rubber is it.. is it a small piece/ medium piece etc?

cheers

the mirror, get a chunk of rubber and wedge it between the glass and the mirrors arm. worked for me and cost nothing. the steering wheel i also have the same issues. try a wheel alignment and balance. get the steerin system checked over. things like rubbers etc on the steering arms and that

go to a bike shop and ask for an old tube. they should give it to you for free. if they don't call them scummy bastards and walk out and find another bike shop.

then just cut a bit of the tube off and wedge it in.

Dude I would be more concerned about why you have a vibration, if its not the tyres or alignment it could be your drivetrain, the tailshaft could be out of balance, vibrations are a sign of something wrong if you dont sort it, it could/will cause even more problems.

Dude I would be more concerned about why you have a vibration, if its not the tyres or alignment it could be your drivetrain, the tailshaft could be out of balance, vibrations are a sign of something wrong if you dont sort it, it could/will cause even more problems.

LOL i aggree.

Still if its just a loose rearview mirror then it'll move with an kind of vibration..

hi there i got my wheels changed and noticed a vibration at high speed..... took it back to be balanced again...... they didnt balance it properly the first time..... get another balnce done!

hi there i got my wheels changed and noticed a vibration at high speed..... took it back to be balanced again...... they didnt balance it properly the first time..... get another balnce done!

I'll give this another shot.. i'll go back to another place to get my wheel balanced and see if they can find any fault..

thanks mate =)

go to a bike shop and ask for an old tube. they should give it to you for free. if they don't call them scummy bastards and walk out and find another bike shop.

then just cut a bit of the tube off and wedge it in.

sorry to keep repeating my question =)

just need to know where to wedge it in... at the clip thing which is at the center portion, bottom of the mirror?

thanks