SAU Community

Relocating Pod Filter. Please Help Me

Rochey

Hey all,

i love the sound my apexi pod filter gives my 97 R33 gts-t. however on hot days my car runs much slower. i assume this is because my pod is sucking in all the hot air the engine provides. ive heard about ways to relocate the pod filter to behind the front bar. this interests me alot as i will be getting 100% cold air and i assume that the induction/whoosh sound the pod makes wil be louder to pedestrians.

if anyone can give me some tips/suggestions/links i would apreciate it. cheers

relocating the pod sounds like a good idea, but i've read other's results and it seems to cause new problems. mainly the huge amount of air ramming thru the afm, plus turbulance, can cause the car to stutter and actually reduce your performance. i'm sure i read it on here somewhere, do a search and see how you go.

it will idle hunt and surge a bit if you change the pipework diameter and don't vary it, if that make sense. like if you just put on 2" straight pvc for about 10 to 15cms it will idle hunt a bit and rev bounce a little

i think the air just revbers over the pipework entrace and makes it bounce

its pretty funny

Hey mate I used to have my pod behind my front bar and it went a lot better then when it was in the engine bay. I also drove the car with no front bumper on so it had 100% cool air and didnt have any dramas with the afm or stuttering on my r33. The only problem I had was the dirt and water flicking up off the tyre and when you wash the car, however i have heard it reduces throttle response as you have to lengthen the intake hose but its better then your pod sucking up hot air. I decided not to run the risk of getting my pod wet so i put the pod back in its orignal location purchased a heat shield for around $15 then ran 3 1/2 induction hose from my pod down to my front bumper, that way you get fresh coming up the hose while the heat shield keeps most of the heat off your pod. If you relocate it to the front bumper just dont get it wet!

yer, i ran my pod in the front bar for 18months as well and had no dramas

only moved it back to engine bay with a CAI because it got dirty so quick down low

dont notice much of a difference with it back under the bonet and shielded from hot air

still use the hole through the guard for cool air to get in

works a treat!

pod1.jpg

pod2.jpg

i have increased the diameter of the pipes and the idle does hunt occasionly, no other dramas

Edited by Spook's_Skyline